FX based transitions and effects

Posted by Geoff Addis 
FX based transitions and effects
April 07, 2010 05:29PM
I have just downloaded a trial copy of the FXFactory plugins and as a consequence I've been looking at the performance of these and similar fx based transitions/effects in FCP. I was under the impression that the fx (GPU accelerated) transitions and effects are more efficient than others within FCP, but I find that I have to render every single fx transition/effect before being able to preview it in High Quality, at Full Frame rate. eg. the fx version of sharpen compared to the non-fx version; the non fx version does not require rendering. Is this normal or am I expecting too much?

My system is running the latest FCP and Snow Leopard software on a Mac Pro with a single 2.66 GHz quad core CPU (2007 model, I think) with 7GB, 677 MHz RAM and internal SATA RAID 0. I'm working in an EX1 timeline with ProRes rendering. I have also used ProRes files directly in the timeline with no difference in performance.

I have been unhappy with the performance of this computer since first getting it and I'm now wondering if the XT1900 could be the cause of my problems. Could it be that the graphics card is faulty? Would the current 2.9GHz quad core with the 4850 graphic card provide any meaningfull improvement?

Any comments will be welcome, TIA

Geoff
Re: FX based transitions and effects
April 07, 2010 05:55PM
I haven't worked with those effects myself, but I can tell you that in general, Apple's definition of "real time" is pretty soft. Some of Final Cut's real-time effects are genuinely real-time: they work at full resolution and fully quality, and are suitable for, for example, laying off to tape without rendering. But others are only "real time" in the sense of being interactive at reduced resolution or quality.

Final Cut is a very ambitious program, really, because it will basically let you throw anything on your timeline, with any combination of effects, and it'll do the very best it can to make it all work. A hard-real-time system might require you to work uncompressed, for example, so the system doesn't have to expend any CPU cycles decoding your frames before it can process them. You're working with XDCAM material, which has to be decoded by the CPU before it can even be displayed, much less processed. So I wouldn't find it unreasonable that your effects aren't real-time.

For those effects that are GPU-accelerated, having a sufficiently powerful GPU ? and more importantly, the right GPU ? can help, but in your case it might merely make your renders faster, not give you real-time effects.

I can tell you that ProRes on an 8-processor system is almost exactly twice as fast as ProRes on a 4-processor system. But again, that will only help you when rendering. (Well, technically it'll give you more real-time streams of ProRes playback, but since you're not playing back ProRes, that doesn't come into play here.)

Finally, I'll just say ? without the benefit of any specific knowledge of your workflow ? that performance problems on Final Cut systems can often be traced back to idiosyncratic workflow choices. For example, I spent a little time last week on a real beast of a Final Cut system, with 8 3 GHz processors and a Quadro board. It was performing very poorly ? and it turned out that the editor had taken XDCAM footage and dropped it on a timeline, put a deinterlace effect on it, nested it inside another timeline at NTSC resolution, then nested that in a third timeline with a thick stack of color correction and other effects, including some effects that were canceling each other out. It was kind of a mess. When he asked me why his system was so slow, I really didn't know what to say other than "You're doing it wrong."

April 07, 2010 07:15PM
Do you have your RT Pop Up menu set properly for better realtime?
If you didn't already know:
Unlimited > Dynamic Quality > Dynamic Frame Rate
Turn off your Dropped Frames Warning on Playback while you edit too.
You should not have to render to play through most of your effects.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
April 08, 2010 04:29AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses - faster than FCP! To answer the points raised:

1) The EX1 footage is ingested via Log and Transfer, then placed on an HDCAM EX timeline with Rendering set to ProRes - all parameters are matched to the original camera capture settings. I have also converted all clips to ProRes before placing them on a matching ProRes timeline, but with the same end result. In both instances, no other fx or transitions are applied to the clips.

2) Playing back in the Unlimited>dynamic quality>dynamic frame rate results in a totally horrid preview that is both slow and very pixelated. The best that I am able to achieve is that some transitions or effects may playback using Unlimited>full freme>medium quality, but even then the image is very pixelated.

What surprises me is that comparing FCP's own sharpening plugins (excluding the unsharp mask), the one that uses the fx plug architecture suffers the above problems, but the other doesn't, yet FX is supposed to be more efficient?!

Cheers, Geoff
April 08, 2010 12:05PM
You've got a ProRes timeline? Tell me about your drives then. Are they fast enough to playback ProRes? Your preview in Unlimited RT should be just fine.

Something is amiss.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
April 09, 2010 04:26AM
Nothing wrong with the drives - using internal SATA RAID zero and can run 4 layers in real time. No other FXs used, simply either a single fx plug transition or fx.

Cheers,

Geoff
April 11, 2010 07:32AM
Hi Geoff

FxPlug based plugs can be coded to run in either software (on the CPU) or hardware (on the GPU) so these things can actually be software only (although unlikely) ... where a plugin can render in either, in FCP, they will actually tend to prefer to run in software. This info may or may not be entirely irrelevant to your issue, but I just thought it might be worth muddying the waters with.

Some other possibly irrelevant and muddy info that might not be worth noting:
When working with interlaced footage your effect is being called twice for each frame ie once for each field, so you may see better performance when working with progressive sources.
FCP has a display path that bypasses the RT engine. Certain functions/conditions will force this non RT path, including "Show Excess Luma or Chroma", "Display White or Checkerboard background", "View individual channels (red, green, blue, or alpha)" and of course, using a non-RT codec.

For any folks interested in such nuts and bolts stuff, this is all info taken from the FxPlug SDK docs.

Best
Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics