Can't Import Media from Sony EX3

Posted by shelleyrae 
Can't Import Media from Sony EX3
April 08, 2010 07:05PM
In an earlier post I asked how to import tapeless media from a Sony EX1 (but it turns out it's an EX3). I was advised to download the XCAM Transfer tool so I did and finally got that operating.

However, I just received the test footage from the Sony EX 3 (not EX1) It was sent to me via YouSendIt. I downloaded the file from YouSentIt and it appeared in my Downloads folder as an .MP4 file. I created a folder on my media drive to store the native footage and another to store the export as prompted in the XCAM Transfer Tool set up window. I copied the file from my Downloads folder into the "Native Footage" folder. I opened FC and opened the XCAM Transfer tool. I clicked on "add" in the transfer tool window and navigated to the file but it's grayed out and won't let me import it. What could be wrong here? I need to figure this out by early next week when the real footage arrives. Please help!

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Can't Import Media from Sony EX3
April 08, 2010 07:40PM
Ouch. That sounds like a HUGE warning flag from the guys on production. Make sure these guys are properly equipped to work with tapeless formats. Like any tapeless format, you need to copy the entire folder structure off the card before the transferring software can convert it (and preferably with error correction). Sony's clip browser is what you use for XDCAM EX.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 08, 2010 09:02PM
Yep, you HAVE to keep that BPAV folder intact or it really confuses the import. You might try opening the .mp4 file with something like VLC and then export the file in one of the formats it supports.

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
April 09, 2010 02:46AM
it's so funny

in the last post I told you exactly what to do. EXACTLY. you didn't seem to care and I thought: " We gonna hear from this guy again, and ... here you are smiling smiley

ask for .DMG of the cards and nothing else

then :two solutions:
(both available on Sony web site: if you can find you way in there (beware ! last time I checked outdated versions were still on line)

in my experience I prefer the internal plugin that goes right into Fcp's " Log and transfer "

download : XDCAM_EX_Log_and_Transfer_Plugin_1_0_0
you might need SxS_Device_Driver from Sony site also

The separate app "XDCAM Transfer " tool is the other way to go ( no so handy IMHO)
April 09, 2010 09:01AM
>>it's so funny
in the last post I told you exactly what to do. EXACTLY. you didn't seem to care and I thought: " We gonna hear from this guy again, and ... here you are >>

Yep. Here I am -- and if you actually read the first line in my post, you will see that I did
"care" very much and downloaded the XDCAM Transfer Tool where plugs right into FC. But when I navigate to the folder where the file is stored it is grayed out and won't import.

Since the camera operator only sent me a select file, it seems there must be other data that goes with the file in order for it to open. I had a similar problem with another camera guy who sent me a file in "it's native format" on a DVD. It also had the .MP4 extension and I could not open it.

The camera operator I'm currently working with admitted he's not computer savvy. So I don't think he'll know how to create a .DMG. Chances are I won't have any problems if he just handed me the media card. But he won't give me the media card. He said he gives FC operators external media drives all the time and they never have any problems. So I just need to make sure he copies the entire card onto an external hard drive? This makes me really nervous:|

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 09, 2010 12:08PM
I only had part of the folder so that was the problem. Cam man is going to resend with the BRAV folder in tact so I should be all set.

Thanks for all the help.smileys with beer

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics