help finding an old file

Posted by john 
help finding an old file
April 11, 2010 02:56PM
Hi All,

I can't find an old FCP file that contains a trailer I require. I know that I made a low-res quicktime of the trailer on August 31, 2008. Does anyone know of a way I can search all my old files that were modified on or around that date?

thanks,
John
Re: help finding an old file
April 11, 2010 02:59PM
Go to the finder, hit apple f for find, search "last modified date" give that a value, and add another parameter for quicktime movie.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 11, 2010 05:44PM
Hi Strypes,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I found the quicktime using the method above but I need the original final cut pro file so I can export a high-res version and unfortunately I don't know if the date I output my quicktime is the same as the last time I modified the fcp filesad smiley Do you have any suggestions for how I can find the original fcp file?

many thanks,
john
April 11, 2010 07:31PM
Do you remember when you created that file, or its name? You can use the finder search for those parameters. You can also stack them, by hitting the small plus icon to the right of the search criteria, so you could search for 'created date' is 'before august 31, 2008' and 'name' 'contains' '.fcp' (if you don't remember the actual name of the project)

April 12, 2010 12:24AM
or you could dive into the autosave vault and see what's in there.

nick
April 13, 2010 10:16AM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I appreciate itsmiling smiley
April 14, 2010 02:03AM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you remember when you created that file, or its
> name? You can use the finder search for those
> parameters. You can also stack them, by hitting
> the small plus icon to the right of the search
> criteria, so you could search for 'created date'
> is 'before august 31, 2008' and 'name' 'contains'
> '.fcp' (if you don't remember the actual name of
> the project)

Of course, the project file may not have an FCP file extension. It doesn't necessarily need it.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 14, 2010 09:00AM
> Of course, the project file may not have an FCP file extension. It doesn't necessarily need it.

I don't think that's true. The .fcp extension may not be visible (or searchable), but it's there. If you didn't put it there, the software would have.

www.derekmok.com
April 14, 2010 09:05AM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Of course, the project file may not have an FCP
> file extension. It doesn't necessarily need it.
>
> I don't think that's true. The .fcp extension may
> not be visible (or searchable), but it's there.
> If you didn't put it there, the software would
> have.

FCP 7 does this but older versions of FCP do not (I'm not sure about version 6 but 5 definitely didn't). I have many old projects that don't have file extensions, not even hidden extensions. OS X still knows it's an FCP project because of the type and creator code.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics