Magic Bullet Looks Dual Mon + HDMI config

Posted by richriehl 
Magic Bullet Looks Dual Mon + HDMI config
April 15, 2010 12:54AM
Magic Bullet software techs says they do not support Black Magic, Matrox or AJA monitor cards. They also say that 2 computer monitors is a problem. None of that is listed in their system requirements pages on their website.

I am even ready to buy a new Intel Mac.

I have always used 2 monitors and a separate TV monitor. Now that I am moving to HD, these restrictions sound wrong.

Am I missing something? I love the way Looks works. Can anyone suggest a configuration I should use???

Could Magic Bullet be this out of step with standard setups or have I missed something here. Any replies are appreciated.
Re: Magic Bullet Looks Dual Mon + HDMI config
April 15, 2010 02:11AM
Do you have the monitors hooked up to separate graphics cards? This is a big no-no for Final Cut Pro.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 16, 2010 03:10AM
Have you ever used Looks? It really only needs a single screen anyways. It renders out to FCP where you then can see it on your broadcast monitor. Never bothered me much....
April 16, 2010 05:48AM

Magic Bullet software techs says they do not support Black Magic, Matrox or AJA monitor cards. They also say that 2 computer monitors is a problem.

Who said that, exactly? I bet there's a big misunderstanding there.

April 16, 2010 07:49AM
as far as i know Magic Bullet has nothing to do with capture cards. It is an internal algorithm using processors and ram. like the posterize filter or line art filter.

I would think that monitoring is a separate issue from software usage when it comes to magic bullet.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 24, 2010 12:48AM
Hey Jeff: Magic bullet surprised me with their answer. They seem to only support a single computer monitor and no HDMI monitor. Since the pupose of their software is to fine tune the look, I am confused as to why this cannot be done on a reference monitor.

Here is the email reply from Jeremy in their tech support dept. He has never replied to tell me what configurations they do support.

You are also may be working in an HD resolution, which is a very likely cause of receiving this error message with a lower end video card. With HD resolutions we recommend that you have at least (or more than) 512MB VRAM. If you have an AGP card, then you may not be able to purchase a better card that will support Quick Looks.

I have also included a few other troubleshooting instructions that may help enable compatibility without having to get a new video card.

1. Check user permissions. It is very important that all of your Sharing and Permission privileges are set to Read and Write for All of our folders and files (including sub files and sub directories). If you have already done this, please go back through and double check that as this step very important. When you are correcting these, use the "Set to enclosed items" option available at the bottom of the "Get Info" window. Also, all the folders on the path to our folders/files need to be set to Read & Write as well.

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

2. Be sure you are not using a Matrox, AJA or Blackmagic type card, if you are please disable this card on your system. These may cause Magic Bullet Looks to operate incorrectly.

3. If you are using another GPU based program, please disable when using the product. This includes, but is not limited to applications from your video card maker. (i.e. ObjectDock application and Nvidia nView Desktop manager, ect..

4. If you are rendering in 10-bit, for example try rendering in 8-bit (Sequence> Settings?> Video Processing).

5. If have more than one monitored connected to system, then disconnect these extra monitor(s).

Thank you,

Jeremy
April 24, 2010 02:59AM
Magic Bullet Looks CAN'T be used with a capture card to see your image on an external monitor? Seriously? How can you properly color correct?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 24, 2010 04:39AM
i tried it once,
or rather, someone tried it on me.

very boring and tedious process, where they tweak shots,
then render them in FCP.
then you say, no a little bit more whatever...
and around and around it goes.

really painful, and we pulled the job before too long.

nick
April 24, 2010 01:53PM
That sucks and should be a part of the next update. It is a really nice plug and will still be used but they gotta keep up with what the industry wants before CoreMelt or some other company comes with an alternative.

I say we lobby them for upgrades to the MBL suite. Protest evenhot smiley

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 24, 2010 08:12PM
> How can you properly color correct?

Usually we send it to Color. Seriously, I thought they fixed that one, as it was an issue since a year and a half ago when they first released it.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 24, 2010 11:58PM
"How can you properly color correct?"

strypes is right.
it's all in the name:
Looks as far as i can tell is all about a "look",
but for fine tuning, as in grading or balancing shots,
you really need something else.

actually Looks may be fine for short form where there may only be a few shots.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics