[www.blackmagic-design.com]
Re: OT: New blackmagic product
April 15, 2010 10:56AM
But not Mac smiling smiley

Andreas
April 15, 2010 11:07AM
oh, really?!?!?
Just thought I got another good reason to buy the HMC40 (avchd codec)!!!!
Darn!!!
April 16, 2010 03:54AM
heaps of interesting new Blackmagic products are PC only as they are using USB3.0, which isn't on macs yet. sad smiley
April 16, 2010 11:39AM
Grant Petty always seems to be a bit in the front of everyone thus USB 3. He was first with HDMI too. Matter of time before USB 3 comes to the Mac. Was hoping these new MB Pros would have it. Guess wait 6 months or so.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 16, 2010 12:57PM
Like Michael said, it's just a matter of time before we see USB for Mac. Hopefully at NAb 2011 or 2012 we'll start seeing Light Peak.

The UltraStudio Pro is really slick design. And frankly I could use some bigger audio meters.

- Justin Barham -
April 17, 2010 06:49AM
For those with an interest in the subject, here's a recent PC world article:
[www.pcworld.com]

And the obligatory contrary position:
[www.theinquirer.net]

Either tech would be nice, and whilst hopefully we'll see USB3 on the next Mac rev's its always possible (and already reported) that Intel may be dragging their feet regarding support of USB3 on their chipsets in "light" of their own plans for Light Peak ... I wonder if the laptop being shown was a hackintosh like the earlier Light Peak demo machine? And yes, that UltraStudio Pro unit sure would look pretty in my edit suite.

Best
Andy
April 17, 2010 07:17AM
It's actually not a matter of time before USB 3 is on the Mac Pro. It's a matter of Intel's engineering, or Apple's business decisions.

See, Apple's gotten themselves into the position of actually designing virtually none of the internal components of a Mac Pro. They're responsible for the actual board design, the case and cooling and the power, and that's nearly it. Right now Intel is making the "chip sets" (basically the interconnecting glue that holds the major system components together) for the Mac Pro. The one they're currently using is the X58, which provides practically everything. It has the PCI Express bus for the graphics board, the other PCI Express buses, the in-board SATA buses, the gigabit Ethernet ports and yes, even the USB ports.

Until Intel adds USB 3 to a chip set that's appropriate for use in a Mac Pro, Apple's hands are tied. Or, the more hopeful option, until Apple starts engineering their own chip sets and can decide what they want to include, their hands are tied. But that may or may not be practical; Intel's chips aren't really designed to be dropped into just any old architecture. They're dependent, to an extent, on Intel's supporting chip sets. So it kinda sucks all around.

Now, the thing about Light Peak is that it's an attempt to get around physical limitations in electrical conductors. When you start ramping up the clock rate of an electrical interconnect ? to the tens-of-gigabits-per-second range ? electromagnetic interference becomes a serious issue. That's not true of optical interconnects, obviously. So Light Peak is designed to be a sort of generic EO converter that will mux multiple existing protocols onto a single optical cable.

Which is great ? except it's going to be very, very expensive to start out. Because you still need all the same stuff you need for an electrical connection ? all the same chips and everything ? but you also need this sophisticated miniaturized EO hardware. And even once you have that, Light Peak right now is not designed to carry power. There's no copper strand alongside the glass to pump electrons. Which means that, as it's designed today, Light Peak can't replace USB or Firewire.

But that's okay, because Light Peak is on the ten-year plan. It's not meant to be a product yet; it's a technology demonstrator. I'm pretty confident that you won't see any commercial applications of Light Peak until at least 2012 or 2013, and definitely no widespread adoption until 2015 or so at the very best.

April 17, 2010 05:01PM
jeff:

Do you ever sleep? I can always count on your to educate me about technologies I have never even heard of. ;-)

Thanks,

Dan
April 17, 2010 05:02PM
I'm on the east coast. That one was written during prime coffee-drinkin' time.

April 18, 2010 01:54AM
Well, the nice thing about the Mac Pro is that you don't have to wait for Apple or Intel and you can just pop in a USB 3 PCI-E card when Mac-compatible ones become available.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 18, 2010 11:18AM
Of course MOTU was showing the same idea, but connected to a Mac via PCIe.

MOTU HD Express

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics