A mixed frame rate mess

Posted by bostonsummers 
A mixed frame rate mess
April 24, 2010 04:18PM
Hello Guys,

I have a doc that has been shot primarily in 24p (40 hours) on the Canon 7D; but a bunch has also been shot on the XH A1 in 29.97 (about 12 hrs). The director has already lovingly logged the A1 stuff (which was shot earlier); he spent several weeks breaking down the 12 hrs into subclips, marking stuff, building sequences...

What is the best thing to do with this A1 footage so that it can work with the 7D stuff? What are my best options..? I don't want to lose the work that has been already done with the A1 footage...is there any way I can wrap said A1 footage in a 24p wrapper and bring it into FCP somehow? I am working on 6.0.6 but am updating to Studio 2 next week.

The other thing is there are still a few tapes that were shot on the A1 left to be digitized, but they were shot on 24p. FCP has some bizarre but well-documented bug with the XH A1, so the footage was digged in imovie (!?). Apparently imovie doesn't support 24p, so has anyone had any luck digging 24p footage into FCP with an XHA1 camera?

Thanks...
Re: A mixed frame rate mess
April 24, 2010 05:31PM
I'll send the 29.97 clips to a post house to lovingly convert that into 24p.

>The director has already lovingly logged the A1 stuff (which was shot earlier); he spent several
>weeks breaking down the 12 hrs into subclips, marking stuff, building sequences...

Get one of those beautiful assistants to come in and lovingly re-log all the stuff that the post house sent back. Sigh. Directors need their egos pampered.

> so has anyone had any luck digging 24p footage into FCP with an XHA1 camera?

I've heard of some capture issues with that camera, but I've never actually used it. If I have issues capturing it via firewire, I'll run it via RS 422/HD-SDI into ProRes. iMovie is not an intermediate workflow.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2010 05:21PM
>>I'll send the 29.97 clips to a post house to lovingly convert that into 24p.

We dont have the money to spend on a post house transcoding the files. Isnt there a way for me to do it myself? What is the advantage of having a post house do it, outside of it wouldnt be ME having to put the time in? Thanks for the post.
April 25, 2010 06:22PM
The frame-rate question has been covered in exhaustive detail on the forum already. Try the search function.

April 25, 2010 09:13PM
Does iMovie still capture footage as .dv clips rather than .mov clips?

April 25, 2010 09:19PM
no, as .mov clips.

this is tricky, as i am not sure how to re-import/transocde the 12 hrs shot on the A1 into pro res 24p without losing the work that has been done (namely exhaustive markers and subclips). Is there a way to do this?

thank you!
April 25, 2010 10:57PM
Media captured from a DV camera is captured as .dv.

All the best,

Tom
April 26, 2010 09:56AM
To convert your material down to 24p fire up Cinema Tools and crack open the PDF manual.

-Andrew
April 26, 2010 12:43PM
Yes, but if he conforms the 29.97 material to 24p, won't that slow all the clips down?

I guess you could transcode the clips, but that won't preserve markers.

Maybe you can subclip out the markers so they become individual clips, make the subclips individual, export out each file, and then transcode to 24p using compressor...

That would be as close as I could think...
April 26, 2010 01:17PM
> Yes, but if he conforms the 29.97 material to 24p, won't that slow all the clips down?

If you only "conform", yes. If you reverse telecine, no.

www.derekmok.com
April 26, 2010 10:11PM
A reverse telecine requires footage to be shot with pulldown. Without a pulldown, there's nothing to reverse telecine to.

>What is the advantage of having a post house do it, outside of it wouldnt be ME having to put the
>time in?

Quality and time. If you're an editor, your time is usually better spent cutting than waiting for Compressor to transcode.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics