Best workflow from DVCPRO HD to Beta SP?

Posted by qeditor 
Best workflow from DVCPRO HD to Beta SP?
April 25, 2010 10:34AM
I am going to be capturing Varicam 720p24 through my Kona 3 card which then needs to be edited and output back to Beta SP via my AJA IO. I will also need to make an SD DVD autostart as a backup.

I bought Phil Hodgetts "HD Survival Handbook" - it seems I should import the footage to Pro Res 422, edit the clips in FCP and then use Media Manager to change to Uncompressed 8 bit to go back to Beta SP via the IO...

Am I reading this correctly, or is there a better way to ensure no bumps in the road? According to what I read in Phil's excellent manual, there is no need for pulldown when recording to P2 media...any help/suggestions for a smooth workflow would be appreciated. This project is only 3:00 min TRT, but it has a very tight turnaround time.

FCS 3
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Ghz Intel Xeon
1.2 TB internal SATA Raid
13 GB RAM
Re: Best workflow from DVCPRO HD to Beta SP?
April 25, 2010 10:49AM
There's no need to media manage back to uncompressed. That would lead to hassle, but no visual benefit.

The Kona card should add the necessary 3:2 pulldown on playout of 23.98fps media for you to record back to SP. You'd just need to generate a SD timeline (again, prores is fine) at 23.98fps for that to work.

Question though - why capture the DVCproHD via a Kona card - why not just over firewire direct to DVCProHD which is very easily editable in FCP?

Graeme
April 25, 2010 11:34AM
Doh! You're right - thanks for the reply Graeme

BTW I love your Standards Converter - it has saved me lots of grief and I have recommended it to others many times since I purchased it. smiling smiley
April 26, 2010 12:50PM

BTW I love your Standards Converter - it has saved me lots of grief and I have recommended it to others many times since I purchased it.

I want to second the admiration for Graeme's Standards Converter. I recently got it and have not stopped using it for the last 5 days. In the long run it will save me oodles of time. Keep up the good work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics