(Rumor?) Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers

Posted by craig seeman 
(Rumor?) Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
May 18, 2010 07:41PM
Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
[www.appleinsider.com]

Sure rumor but not the kind of stuff some of us want to see. Appleinsider tends to be reliable.
Re: (Rumor?) Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
May 18, 2010 08:04PM
FCP is already prosumer enough! smiling smiley

I'm surprised that Final Cut Express outsells FCP. By how much I wonder?

- Justin Barham -
May 18, 2010 08:17PM
A few things about the rumor don't add up. Improved interface doesn't equate to more prosumer. I'd guess most professionals like improved interface as it improves workflow. There's nothing there that indicates feature removal or cessation of such development. Would direct support of AVCHD be prosumer? Do they plan on dropping Final Cut Express and selling Final Cut Studio for $199?

The facts about Ubillos taking command again and the interface design job don't indicate prosumer at all. The ad quoted states creative professionals

he listing for a human interface designer states "Apple?s Professional Applications Design Group is seeking a passionate senior human Interface designer who also understands the intricacies of non-linear video editing."

It also notes that "the candidate will work closely with all designers, producers and engineers to design the future of Pro Apps; high-visibility applications that are used daily by creative professionals working in post-production (examples include Final Cut Pro, Motion and Soundtrack Pro)."

Steve Jobs responds to my email!
May 18, 2010 08:22PM
Don't believe everything you read. The next release will be kickass.

On May 18, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Craig Seeman wrote:

Hi Steve,

Rumors like this are not good for professionals. Interface improvement is certainly critical but professionals features (or the lack of development of such) will cause some exodus. I do wish you'd say something to give professionals a reason to stay with Final Cut Studio.

Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers
[www.appleinsider.com]

Regards,
Craig Seeman
3rd Planet Video
Re: Steve Jobs responds to my email!
May 18, 2010 08:23PM
I really have to wonder just how many emails Jobs gets a day.

It's not like his personal email address is a closely guarded secret. The number has to be in the thousands, easy.

May 18, 2010 08:30PM
Well there you have it. Kickass.

----------------
"What do you mean there's no undo?"

Matthew Celia
matt@fcpguru.com
www.fcpguru.com
May 18, 2010 08:34PM
Appleinsider tends to be reliable.

Since when? I can't believe a word of this. So go ahead everyone, have your fun. Beats hell out of talking codecs.

eye rolling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 18, 2010 08:40PM
Michael see above. One other person on AppleInsider received similar email except he used the word whopper and said Apple is still 100% behind Final Cut Studio.

I don't believe a word of it because Steve Jobs told me not to.

Hmm that doesn't sound very good either.
May 18, 2010 08:42PM
"Reliable" is a fuzzy term. Apple Insider isn't totally wrong every single time they print something, which makes them the grand champion of rumor mills.

What they are woefully short on, though, is even basic numb-brained analysis of what they're trying to write about. Which is a bit of a shame.

May 18, 2010 08:43PM
I dislike rumors. Can we delete this thread?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 18, 2010 08:45PM
I seriously doubt that's his only or even his primary email address. It's his "Public Relations" email address. As I may have said a while back in another thread, I think his responses are part of Apple's (His) marketing strategy against the rumor mills. He knows anything he send will spread quickly. He probably answers a few on a select number of subjects knowing they'll spread.

I imagine a secretary saying, "We just got 200 emails on rumor x" and he says give me five and I'll send them an answer. The other email response I saw was worded slightly differently so he probably just grabs as few and responds. I don't doubt the slightly different responses helps them track who spreads the response if they do such tracking.
May 18, 2010 08:47PM
No, rumors are fun and we need a little fun every so often. So let it run.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 18, 2010 08:48PM
I was thinking of his personal address, the one he's had for decades now. But yes, now that you mention it I bet he's not using that for personal correspondence any more.

On the one hand, what you say about having people sort his mail for strategic use seems entirely plausible, even likely. But on the other, I'm somehow delighted by the mental picture of Steve sitting with his MacBook Pro tapping out email replies until late into the night ? probably perched atop a giant pile of money.

May 18, 2010 08:50PM
Is it fun because it's bullsh!t? Or is it fun because people actually BELIEVE this bullsh!t. I vote the latter thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 18, 2010 08:55PM
I just think Steve can't bear the thought that Avid or Adobe might profit from a rumor.
Pile of money? Nah! His iPad is linked to a live financial estimate of his net worth and they're calculating how his emails will increase MacPro sales after the new models are announced at WWDC so we can have the horse power to run "kickass." Kickass will require 12 cores and the most expensive BTO GPU Apple offers. Then there will be the prosumer version called iKickAss.
May 18, 2010 09:08PM
Seems like a Catch-22 or maybe a Hobson's choice.
Believe the rumor and we're nuts. Believe Steve Jobs' response and we're fanboys.

It's all just "One flew over the Apple's nest err tree"

grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it fun because it's bullsh!t? Or is it fun
> because people actually BELIEVE this bullsh!t. I
> vote the latter thumbs down
May 18, 2010 10:07PM
Awesome Cut Pro?, the new hub of Kickass Studio: Whopper Edition.

Oddly, one of the job requirements posted mentions knowledge of Smoke and Lustre. Not exactly prosumer software. AI is so full of sh|t sometimes.

What I do believe, is that with the whole Adobe/Flash thing, FCS has Jobs' full and undivided attention. It must kill him that FCP is not just stuck in 32-bit Carbon here in 2010, it's also being surpassed in features by Premiere.

- Justin Barham -
May 18, 2010 10:09PM
Kevin Monehan has seen the future but he has an NDA and the future Always changes.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
May 18, 2010 10:30PM
Oddly, one of the job requirements posted mentions knowledge of Smoke and Lustre.

Of course this will be to develop prosumer equivalents: iPuff and iShine.
May 18, 2010 10:33PM
im a bit too busy right now to actually read all about it,
but here is some more informed analyses:

[www.philiphodgetts.com]
May 18, 2010 11:12PM
craig seeman Wrote:
> >
> Of course this will be to develop prosumer
> equivalents: iPuff and iShine.

An easy to use 4K DI suite free with every iMac!

- Justin Barham -
May 18, 2010 11:18PM
JustinB Wrote:
> craig seeman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> > Of course this will be to develop prosumer
> > equivalents: iPuff and iShine.
>
> An easy to use 4K DI suite free with every iMac!

Called iDI (pronounced I Die)
May 18, 2010 11:29PM
I guess all this means is that Steve Jobs is feeling better...
May 19, 2010 01:34AM
If we look at Logic Audio which Apple purchased from Emagic years back to become Logic Studio, we can see that they did NOT dumb it down, and leave it as such. Garage Band is the "lite", Logic Studio is the "Pro"
Taking all the Pro features out of FCP would be shooting themselves in the foot, forcing users to switch to Adobe (currently an unhappy relationship) and or switching to AVID.

Large corporations like Apple are not in the habit of making decisions to lose money.
Its a silly rumor, and its NOT going to happen.

My two cents,
Treatment
May 19, 2010 12:48PM
Well...it's all speculation but there is nothing specific in the Steve Jobs email that addresses Craig's legitimate (I believe) concerns about the ongoing development of professional features in FCS....

The term "Kickass" would sound great in an ipad keynote presentation to the press.......

FCS has been great (in many respects)......but I suspect that in 5 years time I will be using AVID, DaVinci and/or possibly Autodesk software instead.....just a hunch but trying to read the tea leaves......

PW
May 19, 2010 01:28PM
AppleInsider knows zip about the pro apps. If you want a vastly more knowledgeable and better reasoned assessment read Philip Hodgetts blog

[www.philiphodgetts.com]

All the best,

Tom
May 19, 2010 02:08PM
None of these rags, online or print, are ever good at predicting anything.

Taking a few bits of info, true or not, and then manufacturing a story seems to be what passes for "journalism" these days at most of these organizations.

Hodgetts rebuttal goes too far in the other direction. His conclusions are as manufactured as
AppleInsider.

The reality is Apple ain't talkin' and we ain't knowin'.
That's pretty much the beginning and the end of the matter.
May 19, 2010 02:15PM
>I really have to wonder just how many emails Jobs gets a day.

He's going to get more, especially when people knows he replies to them. Or as he appears to be replying to them.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 19, 2010 04:01PM
Speaking of Rumors, I heard that Boris is bringing back Media 100 with a VENGENCE. It is called MEDIA 100: VENGENCE and it boasts their really sharp codecs, media management that makes Apple shiver, makes Avid jealous, and Adobe hide. And it interoperates with all Adobe products, and Apple products. And will edit any codec you throw at it. And make it look as good as their own codecs, without any rendering.

Oh, and they are buying FCP from Apple, and Media Composer from Avid, and making them EOL.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 19, 2010 04:11PM
Oh, and they are buying FCP from Apple, and Media Composer from Avid, and making them EOL.

I heard that too. Read it on the internet. So you know it's true.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics