New Motherboard=Lost Serialization

Posted by treatment 
New Motherboard=Lost Serialization
May 19, 2010 02:52AM
Just a word of caution: My motherboard was recently replaced on my MacBookPro 15", because the darned video "card" is actually attached to the board itself, which means when my screen started acting up the ENTIRE motherboard had to be replaced.(Thank God for Applecare)

I fired up FCP 5.1, and it asked me to re-authorize. Fair enough, but I was stationed in Taiwan, and the box for FCP was in my storage locker in Canada!!

So no use of FCP until that SN is located, which equalled a lot of downtime and frustration.

Treatment
Re: New Motherboard=Lost Serialization
May 19, 2010 05:09AM
Thats correct T., the apps are serialized to your motherboard's hardware id ... avoids folks appropriating software licenses from old hard drive installs. This is relatively common practice. In such situations one might be able to justify the use of a temporary serial number rather than suffer the downtime and frustration
May 19, 2010 05:31AM
When working in commercial post, there are two kinds of things that are immensely valuable: Big, heavy, rack-mounted things with lots of buttons and blinky lights, and wee tiny pieces of paper with strings of numbers and letters on them.

My personal trick is to keep copies of all my license keys in a text file in my Dropbox, and also in my Gmail. The Dropbox copy is sync'd to my laptop, my phone AND my iPad, and the Gmail'd copy is there in case Dropbox disappears or whatever. I'm kind of OCD about it, actually. I've got my license key for Final Cut 3 in there, for cryin' out loud.

May 19, 2010 07:28AM
And where do you keep your backup Avid dongle Jeff? Oh please no ....
May 19, 2010 08:33AM
That's a bit personal, innit?

May 20, 2010 07:16AM
Brilliant.
I'm going to do this exact thing, thanks!

Treatment
May 20, 2010 08:55AM
That's why I keep all my SN# on a text file on a flash drive. Not too hard to do.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
May 20, 2010 12:59PM
Yeah...my little 16kb text file with 4 pages of all my license serials on it lives on a waterproof "Survivor" thumb drive. THAT is what I will grab if my house is on fire (along with my Wife, 2 kids & cats). Those numbers ARE the apps. You can always get the software anywhere / anytime if you have the serials.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 20, 2010 07:25PM
Someone once asked a friend of mine what two things he would get from his house in case of a fire. He said his dog (of course) and, after a pause .. one of the twins.

May 20, 2010 09:42PM
Well kids are heavy, dude. He's not Superman.

May 21, 2010 02:05AM
I always thought you'd get the wife and the kids will follow... And the dog will follow the kids. So everyone's safe... except for the FCS serial numbers (had to stay on topic there).

www.strypesinpost.com
May 21, 2010 07:42AM
that guy may not have had a wife & kids.
most likely you'll look around (thinking about thumb drives, and what order to save things in) and the mother of your children will already have them out the door!
May 21, 2010 10:00AM

I always thought you'd get the wife and the kids will follow... And the dog will follow the kids. So everyone's safe...

You obviously don't have kids...or a dog.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 21, 2010 11:32AM
The dog will follow in most cases.. I've never had a fire, so I never knew what dogs would do in the case of a fire.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 22, 2010 04:27PM
Hi,

I never type a serial number when installing the application. When I get a new application I type the Serial Number into my Password Storage Application (1Password [try it, you'll like it]) then for the first install and all subsequent installs I copy and paste the Serial Number from 1Password for the install. It also runs on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

It also stores and autofills Web Site User Names and Passwords. Because I don't ever type them or remember them I can use randomly generated passwords that look like this "EPLpXbrK3eP25w" so its more secure and more convenient.

It also stores and autofills Credit Card Numbers with expire dates and codes which is very handy for online purchasing.

The data file is encrypted and Password protected.

Of course I have backed up copies with my cloned boot partitions and TM backups.

Best Wishes!

Mitch
May 26, 2010 03:40AM
Excellent idea, I will check that out!

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics