Recommendation for Compression card for web, not capture card.

Posted by wester13 
Recommendation for Compression card for web, not capture card.
May 25, 2010 10:14PM
Can anyone recommend a good video card that could speed up the compression processing of video for the web? I have a slower G5 at work and have been approved for a new video card but not a new workstation. :0)

I have read a couple posts referencing a card that was faster than just using compressor, but it had an issue with not filling in keyframes. Just to be crystal clear, I'm not looking for a capture card, I'm wondering about hardware intervention to speed up the encoding process for web videos of large resolutions. Maybe a better software package?

I'm looking for real your real world experience, not speculation. I've found lots of that. :0)

Thanks!
Re: Recommendation for Compression card for web, not capture card.
May 26, 2010 05:20AM
Have look at the Elgato turbo.264 hd

Andreas
May 26, 2010 07:54AM
Matrox CompressHD ... more expensive than the Elgato device but superior in terms of quality and speed ... then again, if web is your sole target that it may be overkill.
May 26, 2010 08:06AM
I was curious about the Matrox Card but hadn't talked to anyone who's actually used it, only seen the demos from the company which are always best case scenario and never show installation issues. winking smiley

Now that the ElGato has HD that may be an option also. Thanks Guys!
May 26, 2010 08:24AM
I own both the Elgato Turbo and a Matrox MXO2 Mini. I agree with Andy that the Matrox has a better quality and with the MXO2 Mini you got the option to use it like a capture/play out card.
For web only the Elgato is fine and cheap. Also you get some nice software options like automatic upload and automatic chapter creation.

Andreas
May 26, 2010 07:12PM
You are on a G5. The MXO2 with max won't work for you. Nor will Compress HD. They need PCIe slots, you have PCIx. The Elgato is the ticket for you.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 27, 2010 02:25AM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are on a G5. The MXO2 with max won't work for
> you. Nor will Compress HD. They need PCIe slots,
> you have PCIx. The Elgato is the ticket for you.

We don't know exactly which G5 he has. The very last G5s had PCIe.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
May 27, 2010 08:35AM
Good point. I popped it open and yes, it just has PCI slots...good catch.

Thanks everyone!

Wes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics