Offline RT from HDV footage

Posted by apmende 
Offline RT from HDV footage
May 27, 2010 10:31PM
We have ten 1TB drives that we are sharing amongst 3 editors. It is very time consuming to disconnect and reconnect drives. I was wondering if going to an offline RT workflow would save us time? The initial recompressing of the files would be time consuming but I believe most, if not all, of the media would fit on 1TB drive. We would also be able to do this on 3 machines overnight.

I was wondering if someone knew of a link for a "How To" when it comes to the OfflineRT Photojpg workflow. How well does it handle movement or fx on stills?

thank you
Re: Offline RT from HDV footage
May 28, 2010 03:37AM
Pop it into Compressor, select a destination and make sure it is named exactly as your original HDV clips. Then reconnect to the Offline RT clips and you're done. When the edit is completed, hook it back up to the original HDV rushes and reconnect.

I'm really not sure why you need to go offline/online for HDV, as it is a really tiny codec, also, a hard drive costs less than a hundred dollars.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 28, 2010 06:41PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pop it into Compressor, select a destination and
> make sure it is named exactly as your original HDV
> clips. Then reconnect to the Offline RT clips and
> you're done. When the edit is completed, hook it
> back up to the original HDV rushes and reconnect.
>
>
> I'm really not sure why you need to go
> offline/online for HDV, as it is a really tiny
> codec, also, a hard drive costs less than a
> hundred dollars.

Wouldn't it be better to use Media Manager for that so that file paths remain the same? Or is Media Manager slower than Compressor?
May 28, 2010 07:09PM
Either works. Yea, I would think MM is slower than Compressor. Also, MM may be more picky with file names. There is the occasional error that may be caused by files having long names or having illegal characters. Can't recall seeing it happen with the recompress function, but FCP sometimes messes up the file names on export.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 28, 2010 08:33PM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to run a test tonight.

Alberto
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics