Production script breakdown

Posted by rickman 
Production script breakdown
May 28, 2010 02:19AM
Hi all,
I realize this is a FCP site, but many of you guys are wearing several movie making hats and can explain something for me.
Been reading about breaking the script down into bite sized pieces for production.
I get the idea of numbering the scenes, and lining the script for sequences and working out the break down sheets, production boards. All very helpful and practical for planning out your shoot.

What I don't get is the "page count".
A page of script is divided into 8ths. The scenes are given an "8th" number representing the portion of the page the scene occupies.

Why do I need to know that?? Its a simple exercise, but why is it important to know that?

Rick
Re: Production script breakdown
May 28, 2010 06:05PM
Because a scene in a script doesn't start or stop neatly at the top or bottom of a page. It often spills over onto another page so in order to accurately measure how much space a scene occupies you divide a page into 8ths. So a scene that starts at the top of page 1 and only goes to the very top of page 2 is NOT 2 pages long, it's 1 1/8 pages long.

And your next question is: WHY is a page count important? Because the length of a production is based on the number of pages you can shoot in a day. That depends on a lot of factors (type of production, experience, location) but basically when you do your budget you know that each day of shooting is costing you X ? where X=actors, crew, equipment, food and location fees for a typical day. So you divide your production budget by X and that give you the number of days you can afford to shoot. And THEN you look at your page count and that tells you how many pages you have to shoot every day or else run out of time or go over budget.

Say your production budget is $100,000 and you have a 90 page script. Each day of shooting costs you $5,000, so you have 20 days to shoot your movie. 90 pages in 20 days is 4.5 pages per day (which is a LOT btw). So then your task is to fit together all the different-sized scenes like a jigsaw puzzle, combining short ones to equal out to a full 4.5 page day or splitting long scenes accordingly. Of course, some types of scenes take longer to shoot than others but these are the general rules that allow you to start budgeting your time.

HTH, JK

May 28, 2010 07:39PM
Of course in the rest of the world it's decimal, so it's divided into ten.

That's bull, btw. But eight is such an odd number to choose, so .. imperial. smiling smiley

May 28, 2010 07:43PM
The apocryphal story about this is of the production manager who was doing the breakdown of a script and who gave 1/8th page to the following description:

EXT. THE FIELD OF BATTLE. HASTINGS. DAY.

And the armies meet.

Best,

Harry.
May 31, 2010 09:23AM
thanks for the explanation John.
So ... its basically a method for "estimating" the amount of script that gets shot on a daily basis.
OR/and letting you know if your behind schedule or ahead of schedule while you are shooting.
Is that about right?

Thanks
Rick
June 02, 2010 01:53PM

So ... its basically a method for "estimating" the amount of script that gets shot on a daily basis.
OR/and letting you know if your behind schedule or ahead of schedule while you are shooting

Yup, pretty much

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics