SD Card Video Not being Read

Posted by spiderwomn69 
SD Card Video Not being Read
May 28, 2010 11:23AM
I am working on a Mac Pro Dual Intel Core with 4G of memory. OS X 10.5.8 FCP 6.0.6

I work primarily with Sony EX-Cam but recently we have added Sony's Handycam HDR CX550V which we record to SD cards. Typical work flow is using card readers to get the footage ingested and once it's logged the project is backed up.

I have one card that I can not get any video from. It looks to have all the same folders and files that are created when video is recorded but when I open up FCP and launch my log and transfer window nothing comes up. Additionally, when I put the card in camera, it recognizes it's locked, however when I try and play it back it gives me the icon that there is no card.

Any ideas are helpful as I have not found much troubleshooting help for this.

Thanks,
Jackie
Re: SD Card Video Not being Read
May 28, 2010 02:02PM
Update:

Okay so I have figured out that I have the MTS files which are the video files created by the camera and I am able to convert them. Now I need to find a good converter. I usually end up with Apple Pro Res 422 files from the log & transfer window in FCP and the converter I have tested makes these files H.264. Any suggestions on preserving quality?
May 28, 2010 04:35PM
H.264 is absolutely the wrong way to go. It's very compressed, and is not an editing codec. Never, ever use H.264 except at the very end of post-production -- when you're actually delivering files for the web, e-mail and so on. Or as temporary screeners.

www.derekmok.com
May 28, 2010 05:00PM
I agree, which is why I am looking for some way to convert these mts files for use in FCP for editing.
May 28, 2010 05:07PM
ProRes would be just fine. It's pretty much the one-size-fits-all editing codec these days.

Make sure you copy all the contents of every card you shoot, including the folders that appear to be blank or of indeterminate purpose. You need to preserve the entire directory structure for Log and Transfer to find the files properly.

www.derekmok.com
May 28, 2010 06:16PM
Yeah I know but that was the core issue. As far as I know nothing had been touched with the folders as the cards get locked after shooting and come to me for ingest. One of the cards would not transfer the video, nothing was coming up in FCP. The files were there but I was having issues converting the .mts files to the default in FCP (Apple ProRes 422). The solution: Toast (Version 9 or higher) I upgraded to 10 and was able to select the codec I wanted and customize my video & audio settings. Now the converted mts files match the rest of the footage from the shoot.
May 28, 2010 07:52PM
> the cards get locked after shooting and come to me for ingest. One of the cards would not
> transfer the video, nothing was coming up in FCP.

Wait a minute...you're running Log and Transfer directly from the cards?

Bad, bad, bad. Always, always copy the card contents to a drive first, then back that up twice to two different backup drive locations. Then run Log and Transfer on the drive folder that represents the card.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics