OT: Proof That a video is Not doctored.

Posted by J.Corbett 
OT: Proof That a video is Not doctored.
June 03, 2010 02:30PM
I have a video that i filmed of a younger person talking about EXTREME abuse. There proper people who this video is going to has already said that the video is doctored.

The video came from an HMC150 @720p60 to FCP. I have the original sd card.
There are 2 clips each averaging about 24mins. (49m21s in total)

What do i do to authenticate the video better. I need something to prove that it wasn't doctored. (which sounds stupid as a rebuttal to the video)

Thank You

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: OT: Proof That a video is Not doctored.
June 03, 2010 02:35PM
Give it to professional video engineers who know all the stuff about continuous timecode and in depth about video signals. This is not something that a creative editor should be trying to tackle. This is something you have to REALLY know, especially if appearing in court.

You should not do this.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 03, 2010 03:06PM
You should probably hold on to the original media and not give it to anyone until ordered by a court.

If what you have said is correct, then YOU are the primary proof it was not tampered with.

You have had possession of the originals at all times. They have not been out of your hands.
The only way to really show it was not tampered with will be to show the originals to both sides under the supervision of the court.

If the court orders the footage be examined for evidence of tampering, the court will direct how the material will be handled so that the chain of possesion can be controlled at all times.

If you give it to anyone outside of the court's instructions you will have lost control of the material
and a very important link proving the reliability of the material you shot.
June 03, 2010 03:27PM
Considering our craft is in manipulating images and make them seem 'real', this sounds kind of ironic.

Pack the cards in a sealed envelope. Personally, I'd make a disk image of the card for back up if it's critical. But if you're not sure how to do it, I'd suggest not to do it.

I haven't used that camera before, but my guess, as with all tapeless formats, is that they come bundled with metadata, and there is date and time stamp on when the files are created or modified. I'm sure guys like Andy Mees or Andreas Kiel would know more about this.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 03, 2010 05:47PM
i put one of those psychedelic, water, wave things in the background. because i felt as though the movement of the blue water would be too organic to recreate without major 3d work.

I also thought about putting a TC burn on it and then were the clip breaks begin a new one.

I am really out of the water on this one but i must be done.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics