Render Time

Posted by blimpmedia 
Render Time
June 07, 2010 05:33PM
I'm confused, I'm working on a simple project and don't understand why it would take so long to export.

Sequence is DV-PAL 4x3
Main material DV-PAL 16x9
Powerpoint Slidshow overlays all exported a jpg's
Overlay logo created in PhotoShop and saved as a png.

Here is what it looks like laid out in the canvas window:

And this is a timeline snapshot:

I'm now exporting it to a final 4x3 Quicktime file and it's saying it's going to take 9hrs to export...?

I've done this many times (using FCS2) and have never experienced these export times.

Could there be a problem with FCS3 render engine? I'm noticing even when I render files in compressor, my render times have increased.
Re: Render Time
June 07, 2010 05:38PM
It's very hard to tell from that screenshot, but it looks like you've got more than an hour of material there, with butt-tons of in-the-timeline compositing going on. Depending on the beefiness of your edit system, no, a 9:1 ratio doesn't sound crazy to me.

(Totally unrelated tip: Start your timelines at 01:00:00:00, not at 00:00:00:00.)

June 07, 2010 05:44PM
The render time estimates aren't accurate. If you have an 8 layer thing in a long sequence, the render time estimates will explode until it is done rendering that section.

If you haven't already, scale down the stills to your frame dimension, and try to use tga or tiff, as png takes longer to decode.

Another thing to check is your storage space.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 07, 2010 06:03PM
Thanks for the advise Jeff & Strypes.

I think you've just pointed out where my problem is. The background jpg being used is 5120x3390 in pixel size, i'm guessing that's the main problem!

Just out of curiosity will a TGA or UFF retain the alpha channel?

BTW: Storage space left on the working HDD is 355GB
June 07, 2010 06:11PM
>The background jpg being used is 5120x3390 in pixel size, i'm guessing that's the main problem!

Oh yea!

>Just out of curiosity will a TGA or UFF retain the alpha channel?

You mean tiff. Yes, both of those formats are able to carry an alpha channel. Tiff and tga may take up more space than png (at the same frame size, of course), but the compression isn't as complex as png.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 07, 2010 06:45PM
Sorry that was meant to be TIFF not UFF lol....

I've just changed all the jpg's to tiff's and guess what! render time is now estimating 46min

I can't believe I made a stupid mistake like that eye rolling smiley

BTW Strypes, I tried re-saving the png overlay as a TIFF & a TGA, however when I re-connected it in FCP, it came up as white, any idea why?
June 08, 2010 07:29PM
You have to specify that you want the maintain the transparency when you export as a tiff in PS. It's a checkbox in one of the popups that happen as you save out.

June 08, 2010 07:33PM
Ah ha.... Thanks Jude smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics