8 years Shooting and Editing w/DVX100, Now I have a Pulldown/Interlace Issue!! Help!

Posted by ackronomicon 
I've been shooting with my DVX100 for 8 years always shoot regular 24p(not advanced) and I've always used the same capture presets(DV) and my timelines have always been the same standard DV30p timelines. Standard all across. Also used the same Powerbook G4 to edit with. Features, docs, shorts, pilots, weddings, whatever.....

I shot 2 projects recently and now there is a strange interlace issue, where 3 frames are fine, and 2 frames have terrible interlace separation. When I export my edit all diagonal lines crossing through the frame are jagged.

Also, when I look at my old digitized 24p DVX100 footage, it too is having the 3:2 interlace issue, when it never had it before.

I've tried every kind of capture preset, timeline option, frame rate option, etc that I could. I think this may be a QUICKTIME issue, because it was always fine before, and now I get the 3good:2bad Frame issue there too. Also for some reason when I digitize a 16:9 (Matted from 4:3 in camera, which means my 4:3 image is matted to "look" 16:9, final cut opens it as 4:3, but Quicktime stretches the image from 4:3 into a 16:9 frame. This also never happened before, and it's only happening on recently digitized footage. I know I recently updated quicktime, so maybe this is it?
My Quicktime Version is 7.6.6.
Final Cut Pro 6.0.6

Also I have tested this on 2 different Powerbook G4s, same issues all across.

Any help greatly appreciated!! I want to deliver my new projects in good quality, so I can eat and pay rent! I'm gonna be forced to deliver terrible looking DVDs!

Thanks for the help!!
Re: 8 years Shooting and Editing w/DVX100, Now I have a Pulldown/Interlace Issue!! Help!
June 07, 2010 08:36PM

I've been shooting with my DVX100 for 8 years always shoot regular 24p(not advanced)

I shot 2 projects recently and now there is a strange interlace issue, where 3 frames are fine, and 2 frames have terrible interlace separation.

One thing follows naturally from the other. What you're seeing is 3:2 pulldown. This is exactly what you should be seeing.

However, this part throws me:

my timelines have always been the same standard DV30p timelines

There's no combination of 24p and 30psf that could possible add up to anything but trouble. You should be using regular NTSC DV timelines, at 60i.

Also for some reason when I digitize a 16:9 (Matted from 4:3 in camera, which means my 4:3 image is matted to "look" 16:9, final cut opens it as 4:3, but Quicktime stretches the image from 4:3 into a 16:9 frame.

Make sure you're not using an anamorphic preset.

Re: 8 years Shooting and Editing w/DVX100, Now I have a Pulldown/Interlace Issue!! Help!
June 07, 2010 08:39PM
That's exactly what 24p DV does. DV tape doesn't run at 23.98fps, period, and nor does any kind of SD tape. So your camera shoots 23.98fps, but then adds 2:3 pulldown right in the camera to make 29.97fps.

You have to capture the tapes normally at DV 29.97fps, then run Cinema Tools to reverse-telecine the clips to 23.98fps to remove the interlaced frames. Unless you have a capture card and are capturing the DV through that.

24pA doesn't run at 23.98fps right out of the camera either; it adds 2:3:3:2 pulldown. That pulldown can be removed during capture.

The most likely explanation is that you missed the interlacing before, and now you have footage where interlaced frames are more noticeable.

> final cut opens it as 4:3, but Quicktime stretches the image from 4:3 into a 16:9 frame.

That is also what anamorphic 16:9 DV footage is supposed to be. Read this:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
June 07, 2010 08:44PM
> Also for some reason when I digitize a 16:9 (Matted from 4:3 in camera, which means my 4:3
> image is matted to "look" 16:9, final cut opens it as 4:3, but Quicktime stretches the image
> from 4:3 into a 16:9 frame.

Sorry, missed that part about in-camera matting.

There are two possibilities I can think of.

One is that your footage was incorrectly flagged as anamorphic 16:9, and when playing it back, QuickTime is compensating for that and playing the footage at something like 854x480 or 720x405.

Two is that on a computer screen, 720x480 DV footage actually doesn't look correctly, because of the difference between the pixel aspect ratio for DV video (non-square) and the pixel aspect ratio for a computer screen (square). Clips will look horizontally stretched. To make 720x480 DV footage look right on a computer screen, you need to scale it to 640x480. But you don't do that until you're making deliverables for the computer world (eg. web).

www.derekmok.com
Thanks you all for the quick responses, never posted here before and you are all amazing for the help. I'll get on it and study what you all have suggested in detail. Thanks for the help!!
Chris Ackerman
DM
June 08, 2010 10:55AM
probably one of the issues above, but when all else fails, when is the last time you had your camera serviced?
I Exported a test DVD and it looks fine without doing any changes to my workflow. I don't know what the hell is goin on!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics