QUICKTIME & SNOW LEOPARD

Posted by slomoray 
QUICKTIME & SNOW LEOPARD
June 09, 2010 11:36AM
Hi,
I just upgraded my Mac to Snow Leopard and not sure now how to change the aspect ratio properties of my quicktime movie. My FCP project was done using both 4x3 and 16x9 source material. When I make my quicktime movie to send to IDVD all the video is 4X3. In Snow Leopard, Quicktime was upgraded and I can't figure out how to change the aspect ratio. Does this make any sense? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I may not understand?
Thanks
Ray
Re: QUICKTIME & SNOW LEOPARD
June 09, 2010 02:14PM
Was your video working fine (ie appearing 'normal') before you upgraded?

This may have nothing to do with QT&SL, and everything to do with your project settings. Let us know what format you were working in and what your sequence settings are; we need more info to dissect this. Since it's impossible for a video to be in BOTH 4x3 and 16x9 at the same time, your sequence was probably not set correctly for 16x9 or anamorphic output.

JK

June 09, 2010 09:37PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Here is where i'm not sure of things. My video appeared "normal" prior to the upgrade to Snow Leopard. I also made a DVD prior to the upgrade that "appeared" okay. Doing it before the Upgrade, for sequence settings I just left things in Easy Setup. Does that make sense? After my project was done I would then make a Quicktime Movie and then drag that to The Quicktime application where I would then go to the Quicktime "Window" dropdown and set the "Aspect ratio" under "Movie Properties" to 853X480. I would then save it and drag this over to IDVD to make the DVD. The DVD appeared fine once it was burned. I can't do this same procedure since the upgrade, or at least don't know how.
I don't understand exactly what you mean when you ask what format I was working in? I was using 4x3 and 16x9 footage. Is that what you mean? My problem with burning DVD's is because I don't have a strong technical background. Besides changing the Movie Properties I usually just leave things in "Auto" and hope the computer makes the proper adjustments. I probably haven't given you all the info you need to work with, but whatever info you may have I would really appreciate. Thanks!!
Ray
Re: QUICKTIME & SNOW LEOPARD
June 10, 2010 12:30AM
I see what's happening.

iDVD still does NOT read anamorphic video files correctly. So if you export 16:9 anamorphic video from FCP it gets squished to 4:3 when you drop it in. Apparently this has been happening for a while now; I had no idea because I only use DVD Studio Pro now (worth learning IMHO, it saves you a lot of headaches).

The process you describe (changing the video size) was one of the workarounds for dealing with this issue. The Problem is that in Snow Leopard, the new version of Quicktime (vX) does not offer the same features that Quicktime Pro (v7) did, including the option of resizing the movie (that's what I've heard anyway, I'm still on Leopard).

So you have two options:
1) Reinstall Quicktime Pro. Yes, you can have both versions at the same time; instructions here: Apple Support Doc

2) Try this free app, apparently written to deal with just this issue: Anamorphicizer. Haven't used it myself, so YMMV.

Good luck!

JK

June 10, 2010 11:17AM
Thanks for the info. This will definitely help. I appreciate all your info despite my lack of info.
Thanks,
Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics