LA Avid UG?

Posted by Jewel 
LA Avid UG?
June 17, 2010 08:40PM
Is there such a thing? You guys have been such a blessing re FCP, and now I have some Avid questions...

Where online would you suggest I lurk - I mean for Avid info! winking smiley

Specifically, Avid MC3, editing HD / codecs, etc...

Thx!!
Re: LA Avid UG?
June 17, 2010 09:37PM
THE ENEMY!!!!!

No really...

[community.avid.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 17, 2010 11:19PM
Like Joey said, their forum is excellent. Hang out in there for Avid answers.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 18, 2010 12:45PM
YOu can ask them here...just say "OT". I lurk here and I know Avid.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 18, 2010 03:11PM
I don't think posting Avid questions in a FCP forum would be well received though (posting FCP questions in the Avid forum incited RIOTS back in the day - I was a Mod over there for 2 years before switching to FCP as my main NLE). You would be better received at the Avid Community Forum Jewel.

Personally, with MC 5 coming out, the NLE landscape is going to change now that OMF / MXF will not be necessary anymore. I will be upgrading my old Avid software to MC 5 on my MBP (along side FCS).

June 18, 2010 10:20PM
I want MC5. Hmm...my daughter is a student, maybe I can swing it as long as I have her teach it to me? ;-)
June 18, 2010 11:23PM
There is a fully functioning MC5 demo as a free download at the Avid website.

I'm currently supporting the newest/latest Avid build ($1.2Million build, includes Unity ISIS/Network, MC, VSAT, ProTools, InterPlay, IsoSync, AirSpeed, Assist, Access.... all the latest "stuff", as well as Panasonic D5 for backup rec). I'm also supporting over 40 FCP fibre attached edit systems connected via QLogic to Xsan and SANmp, along with two large networks (Xsan metadata and public share network for all FCP edit systems...., as well as routable and connected to two large VTR/Digital/tapeless machine rooms and massive server for Cable/Satellite feed for nationwide broadcast.... lot's of stuff).

Comparatively, the FCP/SAN is flawless (prefer Xsan, but SANmp is cool)! The Avid is major error prone, though after 6 months of major struggle, I think we've got 99% of the bugs cleared out....

Avid works, no question about it, but compared to FCP, FCP is far simpler to use and support and FCP is far more stable/reliable.

Now, go ahead and ask your Avid question, I'll most certainly have an answer for you!

Robert Moore
WOOMZA.com
Santa Monica, CA 90402
USA
Email: rmoore@andrita.com
June 18, 2010 11:53PM
I'm not sure we want to start a Avid forum here. Its not that lafcpug is evangelical and we only support Final Cut, in fact we are for the most part agnostic and could care less what tool you use. It's just that other web sites do a much better job with Avid support than us. Yes, FCP is #1 in our hearts as most of us use it on a daily basis and it IS the tool of our choice, but I have my doubts in starting an Avid forum on a web site that has FCP in the middle of its acronym. I mean, how many users would take us seriously? I spend enough time defending all of us against the "fanboy" accusations.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2010 01:17AM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally, with MC 5 coming out, the NLE
> landscape is going to change now that OMF / MXF
> will not be necessary anymore. I will be upgrading
> my old Avid software to MC 5 on my MBP (along side
> FCS).

Don't get too excited. MXF is still very much part of the MC workflow. Yes it can AMA QuickTime, but so far I don't even think reel numbers come through.

- Justin Barham -
June 19, 2010 11:54AM
Avid's QT AMA is a good way to ACCESS the footage. But as for editing it native...I wouldn't. No, reel numbers don't come across, but they don't when you import P2 the non-AMA way either. In Avid land, tapeless media have no reel numbers...and that is frustrating.

but the main reason I wouldn't edit QT footage that has been AMA'd is that you can't export an OMF or AAF to audio for mixing. AAF is not supported for any non-Avid media types. That, to me, is a deal breaker.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 19, 2010 02:02PM
JustinB,

I AM EXCITED...so there.

I don't need / don't care about "Reel Numbers". I am a short form guy. ProRes / Drag & Drop Timeline = worth the price of admission...period.

June 20, 2010 01:11AM
OK Joe. You can still be excited. smiling smiley I'm still excited about how it handles RED RAW.

Shane,

That's going to be a bummer if/when the Alexa gets popular. Extra metadata could come through ALE, but no audio OMF or AAF is, like you said, a deal breaker. Which is too bad because I'm generally really liking MC 5.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics