Sync Problems with sending Color

Posted by FilmBase 
Sync Problems with sending Color
June 18, 2010 08:09PM
I posted a similar post on the Color forum because I thought it was a Color issue. But now I'm not too sure.

When I send a sequence to Color from FCP it progressively goes out of sync when it lands in Color. For instance, a clip in the beginning of the sequence will slip forward about 8 frames. By the end of the 4-minute sequence my last clip will have slipped forward 45 frames. I, for the life of me, can not figure out why this is.

I did a test with just one 6-second clip in FCP and sent it to Color. In Color it had slipped forward 21 frames.

I thought it might correct itself when I sent it back to FCP but it didn't and it was out of sync with my audio.

I did another test where I exported my one 6-second test clip (cutting off any handles), reimported it back into FCP then sent that to Color. That work! It didn't lose sync since it couldn't slip forward. But I don't want to have to do this for every clip in my sequence.

I trashed my Prefs in FCP and Color, ran Permissions, restarted, gently tapped it with a sledge hammer and checked for software update. None of these were able to help.

I have not altered my workflow so I don't think its my camera or computer. I did recently upgrade to the latest FC Studio but I never changed my prefs, if that matters.

Can anyone give me some suggestions what I can do to get everything back in sync?

-- Jeff

Mac OSX 10.6.3
FCP 7.0.2
Color 1.5.2
Apple Pro Res 422 24p (23.98 fps) 48kHz HDV
2x3GHz Quad Core Intel
5GB RAM
Re: Sync Problems with sending Color
June 18, 2010 08:38PM
Are you sending an HDV sequence or ProRes?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 18, 2010 10:17PM
Sorry for the confusion. The HDV tape was captured in Pro Res. The sequence sent to Color is Apple Pro Res 422.
June 21, 2010 06:52PM
I found a solution to my problem but I still don't know what caused it.

Let me preface this by stating that I tried to repeat the problem with 3 other sequences from 3 different projects. I was able to with one of the sequences but the "out of sync" wasn't nearly as off. All the footage in all the projects was captured the same way? Shot on HDV tape, captured as Apple Pro Res 422, edited in a Pro Res 422 Sequence and sent to Color.

A co-worker of mine had the same issue as me with clips loosing sync when sent to Color and his footage was shot, transferred and edit in XDCAM.

The solution to my problem is an adjustment that was made in Color. I needed to add at least 1-second handles to the Project Settings in the Setup tab of Color. And though I didn't need to adjust (Slip) any of the footage in FCP when it came back from Color, it did somehow prevent my footage from falling out of sync.

Now that is not to say the footage in Color was in sync, my clips were still off by different number of frames for each clip but when it went back to FCP it stayed in sync.

To me this seems like a Color bug, but being just a User, I don't know.

I hope this helps anyone who may run into this problem.

-- Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics