bad edges with title tool

Posted by davko 
bad edges with title tool
June 29, 2010 07:51PM
I've used the "Handwriting - Dakota" font to create a title in Boris, but getting a terrible form of aliasing that looks almost crosshatched when I view the result in FCP. Ironically, the effect is even more pronounced after I render. The letters within the title tool itself look solid and clean, so it's nothing I've created. What causes this, and how do I get rid of it?
Re: bad edges with title tool
June 29, 2010 07:54PM
Post a screen shot of your FCP canvas at 100% zoom. What is your sequence codec? Is it interlaced or progressive?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 29, 2010 10:23PM
It's set at DV NTSC 48 khz ( DV/DVC-PRO NTSC compressor). The titles look sharp when viewed on black as a single track; it's against a background that things go south...How can I post a screen shot?
June 29, 2010 10:47PM
June 30, 2010 10:52AM

As you can see, the clean edges and solid letters that were present in Boris' toolmaker have been chewed away in a semi-crosshatched pattern once they were layed over a background. Other fonts experienced the same problem, and rendering did not help.
June 30, 2010 11:14AM
Firstly, don't use DV NTSC for text. Switch your sequence to ProRes. Some of the blockiness on the edge is caused by the chroma subsampling, as well as the codec compression, and more so because you are using red.

Secondly, you are working in interlaced, so text will look different, not that you will be able to see this part on a broadcast monitor.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 04:18PM
Already, de-interlacing alone has helped A LOT. I'll switch to ProRes and get back. Abundant thanks for the valuable pearls of wisdom.
June 30, 2010 04:20PM
Frankly, don't deinterlace unless you are going out to web, because you lose resolution. The jagginess is part of a video format...

[www.dvcreators.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 04:22PM
Right. Actually, I spoke to soon. Upon rendering, more of the same. This after what seemed a marked improvement upon applying the effect.
June 30, 2010 04:25PM
What i mean is that if you had switched your sequence from having a field dominance of "lower" to "none", it gets rid of the jaggy edges, but it's not advisable, because your video clips will also be de-interlaced, so you lose resolution.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 04:28PM
I see. Anything else I can do to treat the individual clips? I just switched to Apple ProRes 422 NTSC and there's no appreciable difference.
June 30, 2010 04:35PM
Yes. Don't use red or wildly saturated colors. Try turning your text to white, and see if the jagginess is still there.

Colors are subsampled. That is how video works. DV is even worse.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 04:39PM
Don't create areas of sharp chroma contrast period.

June 30, 2010 04:50PM
Just out of curiosity, what are people using when colored titles are absolutely integral to a project? Seems I see them all the time.

Also, would any sort of b.g. -- translucent or otherwise -- take the curse off these letters?
June 30, 2010 04:54PM

Just out of curiosity, what are people using when colored titles are absolutely integral to a project?

I disagree with the premise of the question.

June 30, 2010 05:02PM
>Just out of curiosity, what are people using when colored titles are absolutely integral to a project?

There's that saying that if you can't change the world, you change yourself. I suppose the opposite holds true as well.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 05:32PM
I can certainly live without red, it just seems pointless that there are all these plug-ins and after-market software out there constantly extolling new and different ways of doing things... when in reality, just changing a simple color in your text can be hazardous.
June 30, 2010 07:46PM
Bright colours have never been the friend of television. In DV, it's even worse. Just use less saturated or bright colours. You can even turn on the chroma warning and get a little hazard symbol when your colours are too saturated for broadcast. This is nothing to do with new and different ways of doing things. It's always been so.

June 30, 2010 07:48PM
Firstly, you're using a 20 year old format. Secondly, your color is way out of broadcast safe. I believe you are using pure red at 255. That does not translate very well in rec 601. Worse so with compressed video codecs.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 30, 2010 08:35PM
Less saturated it is, from now on. Already, the difference is appreciable. Never realized how hard and fast these basic guidelines are (and always have been), despite other dazzling advances in graphic design that go unaffected by them.
June 30, 2010 08:37PM
As the saying goes, "You have to understand why things work on a starship." I'd suggest you spend a little time reading up on chroma subsampling, so you can better understand exactly why color resolution is lower than luma resolution.

June 30, 2010 08:43PM
The one thing I never understood was why highly saturated colors, especially the ones outside of broadcast safe, fares worse under video compression.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 01, 2010 07:49AM
===>
The one thing I never understood was why highly saturated colors, especially the ones outside of broadcast safe, fares worse under video compression.

I was fighting this battle yesterday with some stuff I was compressing for web delivery. In my case it was over saturated blues on a set. When the blue (actually a bright cyan) was out of gamut, at camera cuts in the program there would be orange, blocky artifacts that would last a couple of GOP's. This in both Flash (VP6) and H.264.

We were trying to guess why, and came up with this theory. The object of compression is to throw out data with as little visual disruption as possible. So why waste bits compressing video information that, by specification, should not be there anyway. It seems to be left up to the user to keep chroma and luminance in spec.

-V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics