Red on Black Text Issues
July 01, 2010 12:19PM
Hello,

I'm trying to lay some red text over some black and white video - the red does not look good (to say the least!)> I did some research and discovered that this is a common problem - that red won't look good as text, and especially over black. I was forced to turn the text white in order to get ready for a screening, but I'd prefer to have it be red. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve my goal?

Thanks!

Stephen
Re: Red on Black Text Issues
July 01, 2010 12:20PM
By the way, I'm using the text function in FCP - not boris, not livetype...

thanks again
SA
July 01, 2010 12:31PM
July 01, 2010 07:49PM
As a rule, red on black usually looks like a$$. In print production, when you lay red text on top of black it 'vibrates' and makes it a little hard to read, especially if you choose a small type size. In video your eyes still see the vibration and you also see the nasty jaggies that often accompany red-colored type. You can try to mitigate it by using a sans-serif typeface in a very LARGE type size. However, the problem I've run into is that the most common compression codecs (H.264, MPEG-2) are not kind to red text, especially the brightest red (R=100, G=0, B=0). I tried eight ways to sunday to get a line of red text on black to reproduce properly for a web video and the only solutions were to A) make it a darker (less rich) red, or B) use another color.

HTH,

JK

July 01, 2010 10:40PM

As a rule, red on black usually looks like a$$.

As a "rule"? No...I disagree...that's not in my rules winking smiley That is a major generalization. There are shades of red. Not all codecs look like "a$$".

With DV, yes that is well documented. ProRes...looks fine...and most major Broadcast Networks take ProRes these days. That is my delivery format of choice. Even if a client asks or something else, I suggest ProRes and back it up with some samples and they almost always take it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics