Hard-drive space while upgrading to 7

Posted by J.Garcia 
Hard-drive space while upgrading to 7
July 02, 2010 09:35AM
I have a macbook pro 2.33, I just did a clean install of FCP 5 to get livetype in my computer, and I am installing FCP7 right after, here is the dilemma it use 30 something GB of my drive when I install 5, and for 7 is asking for 34 GB more WHY is that?

Should I just install livetype from the FCP 5 Suite, and install FCP 7 without upgrading the whole FCP5? Will that save me some space?

Thanks!
Re: Hard-drive space while upgrading to 7
July 02, 2010 09:39AM
Are you aware that Final Cut 5 is compiled for the PowerPC architecture and will only run on your MacBook Pro under emulation? Livetype is a dead product, and even at its peak it was pretty terrible. Don't undertake heroic measures to keep that patient on life support. Let it go.

July 02, 2010 06:58PM
Motion is the new Livetype. Maybe someone should start the Livetype2Motion movement. Motion really isn't that much harder.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 03, 2010 08:09AM
a lot of that media is most likely duplicated (lots of audio lops for Sound Track Pro for instance)

if you have the free space, i'd say just sit there and let the installers do their thing, rather than trying to second guess them.
in the end the duplicated stuff wont be on your drive twice, and you'll most likely end up with not much more than the 35G of "extras"

i'm pretty sure there are things that Livetype could do that motion still can't.
changing font colours of the animated fonts or something, isn't it?

nick
July 03, 2010 11:54AM
FCP 7 is supposed to take much less hard disk space. Of course, you'll have the option to not install some of the media on the discs.
July 03, 2010 11:58AM
Nope. Pretty much the same.

July 12, 2010 02:15AM
>Are you aware that Final Cut 5 is compiled for the PowerPC architecture and will only run on your
>MacBook Pro under emulation?

I believe 5.1 is universal binary, so it doesn't run under Rosetta. Large programs run poorly under emulation, so a separate compilation is required.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics