XML version 1-4

Posted by J.Corbett 
XML version 1-4
July 06, 2010 07:26PM
In fcp when you export an xml you get a choice of 4 versions.

It defaults to version 4.

but this version does some weird stuff when imported to premier. like imports a seemingly nested seq along with the clips. I don't often edit in premier i just use it as a pass-thru.

I use version 1 to go to AE w/ .jsx.

However, i have no idea what the differences are. So what is the difference in the versions?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: XML version 1-4
July 06, 2010 08:02PM
i just wanted to be clear that i know what each one includes. I am looking for usage reasons.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
July 06, 2010 09:07PM
They are all just slightly updated versions. Like a 2003 Ford Focus is newer that a 2002. Just a few small internal changes. The main thing is what is the app you are using compatible with? FCP 7 is compatible with 1-4. But FCP 6 only works with 1-3, as v4 came out later, and has a different protocol.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 06, 2010 09:51PM
j. corbet must be on FCP6, as i'm pretty sure that is compatible with XML 1-4
FCP7 uses XML5

oh, looky this is in the FAQ:

[www.lafcpug.org]
July 06, 2010 09:54PM
i see.
so is it that the older versions are more compatible. like qt6 can be read by qt7 and qt 10 can read them all.
Is there a most accepted version?

""""
July 07, 2010 01:02AM
>so is it that the older versions are more compatible

With older versions of software that uses them. But older versions don't carry as much information as later ones. Like links to render files, or certain filters and other info.

>like qt6 can be read by qt7 and qt 10 can read them all.

No, not like that at all.

>Is there a most accepted version?

Depends on the version of the software that you are trying to use it with.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 07, 2010 01:06AM
got it

""""
July 07, 2010 03:42PM
Always export to the newest version compatible with the destination application. For most purposes, you can get away with exporting the latest version and any unrecognized information will be flagged up but the application should still be able to read and process the file.

Older versions have less information, which could cause problems with multiclips and newer video formats. They also have less metadata, which could be an issue if you plan to do an online from the XML.

P.S. QuickTime movies are designed to be backwards-compatible with older versions. Any unrecognized information will generally be ignored by older versions of QT (with a couple of exceptions).

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics