Fade In from Black

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Fade In from Black
July 08, 2010 10:02PM
This seems like such a simple question and yet I haven't found a clear answer to do a fade in from black for a clip. Sometimes, FCP lets me "cheat" the shot, but I'm working on a stubborn shot that keeps giving me a 1 frame dissolve. I've used the Effects tab workaround before, but this time it's not working. I realize you need handles for dissolves, but the clip's and the timeline I'm working with doesn't have a handle. My current solution for a 1 second fade in from black, is to trim the head 15 frames, replace with black slug, and then use a cross dissolve. Is that the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Fade In from Black
July 08, 2010 10:27PM
how are you trying to do this?
it really should work.

if you have a clip in the timeline, with EMPTY SPACE before or after it,
simply select the side of the edit you want to fade, and hit Apple T.

while you can dissolve to a slug, you don't have to.
i find it much simpler to fade to empty space.

nick
July 08, 2010 10:28PM
>My current solution for a 1 second fade in from black, is to trim the head 15 frames, replace with
>black slug

One other way is to add a short slug clip over your clip, then keyframe the opacity for your fade in. I find this handy when I'm trying to do a fade out on multiple layers (eg. end product frames). Or you could add a dissolve to the slug, if it's faster.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 08, 2010 10:36PM
Nick's solution works, though I'm also not a big fan of starting a timeline with blank space because it's conducive to operation errors.

Put the actual transition (in this case Cross Dissolve) into a bin in your Browser. When you drop the Cross Dissolve onto the edit, make sure you drop it onto the right side of the cut point. It will allow for a one-second dissolve oriented for "Start at Edit". But your drop has to be accurate.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics