OT: Designing Temporary Workspace for Multiple Editors

Posted by drtuzi 
OT: Designing Temporary Workspace for Multiple Editors
July 11, 2010 05:12AM
Ok, maybe "designing" is a bit high falutin' for what I'm doing - I'm trying to figure out how much space we can afford to rent and how many workstations we can cram in there .

It's a fifteen hour educational project. Lots of running time, no budget.

We're going to have 3 lead editors, 4 assistants, a mograph guy, an audio guy, a flash guy, and a bunch of writers wandering around, bumping into things and knocking them over...

We're being shown a lot of "raw creative space" that fits into our so-called budget

My question is:

Do I build out with the sheetrock? Creating a bunch of essentially FCP-equipped broom closets...

Or is there a viable, less expensive alternative to drywalling?

(I'm going to use an obscene word here - "cubicle" - There! I said it!)

My question to you all - have any of you ever edited in one of these glorified cubes that has floor-to-cieling walls and a door you could close?

If so, was there anyone editing next door? Was it noisy? Could you concentrate? Could you breathe? Did it make you contemplate suicide?

Sound and Oxygen are obviously my biggest concerns.

Any thoughts/recollections on similar low-budget nightmares greatly appreciated.
Re: OT: Designing Temporary Workspace for Multiple Editors
July 11, 2010 10:11AM
If your budget is low, your options will be limited. But what you describe doesn't sound like an appropriate editing space to me. If the spaces are too close, you'll have audio problems, and editing with headphones is never ideal. An editing station needs space, not only for personal comfort, but also to watch a cut properly, for cables and drives, for audio mixing, for colour correction, for temperature, for clients and directors/producers to sit and review material. The list goes on and on.

www.derekmok.com
July 12, 2010 01:59AM
I've worked like this and it's a drag but no job is perfect. It might be a headphone situation because sound will be an issue unless you are soundproofing. Sounds like ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Editors don't like it but sometimes ya just gotta deal. Screening will be tough though in terms of space and not disturbing other editors. Maybe if you are on shared storage you can set up a permanent screening space not in a bay that is large enough to accommodate everyone. Also, crank the AC, tell the editors how much you love them and keep snacks in the kitchen and maybe you will get through it. Best option would be a post production collective that let's you rent space but put in your own system like the DR Group in Mar Vista. Also the better the editor the more of a diva they are so it's a balance.
July 12, 2010 02:17AM
>Designing Temporary Workspace for Multiple Editors

>My question to you all - have any of you ever edited in one of these glorified cubes that has floor-
>to-cieling walls and a door you could close?

Haha. No. Avoid that. Don't treat your editors like charged Russian spies. Spare them the claustrophobia. The suite doesn't have to be totally sound proof. Just as long as you don't hear the edit from the next door.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2010 01:12AM
Yeah, dude, rendering is one thing... rendition quite another.

In such close quarters, noise away. Think of fiber network storage array-- connected to a good robust system, like EditShare, Facilis, whatever. And sequester it in a soundproof booth. That's half the battle.

The other half, a combination of elbow room and freedom from earphones. With all the folks you've described running around, I suggest you double your space and drywall requirements, and invest in that sonic foam liner. Speakers are the realistic way to monitor sound, it's how most folks view program material. You don't see studio mixers using headphones unless they're surrounded by machine noise.

Every room I've cut in at WGBH sports a sequestered machine area. With a large network attached storage system you only need one. Then you can splurge on space for people, and space for visiting reviewers, producers, composers, lawyers, etc. 200 SQ FT MINIMUM.

Yes, I edited a miniseries on South Africa in 100 square feet of closet outfitted with a honking Panasonic DV deck and Avid Express system-- but that was my first DV project, before FCP arrived. Now I need to spread out...

Dimmable task lighting, preferably from overhead, leaving desk clear, airy, room for KeyGuide, etc.

Chairs with good lumbar support. I love Aero's, but you know, Staples offers the Arcadia task chair with three control levers-- can't have too many levers-- which ain't bad for 170.00...

Snacks? Snacks? Try LUNCH. ;-) Every day.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics