Re: FCP and Avid question.

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Re: Color & Smoke (was FCP and Avid question.)
July 25, 2010 01:00AM
over here on our version of the East Coast, it can be a bit harder to find places that finish in FCP.

there are more now, obviously, (and thankfully) but they are in general the smaller places.
the bigger post houses (there's about 4 of them) will still be finishing on something else.

this is a bit of an assumption on my part as i haven't used those places for a while.

it want that long ago that most of these places would say
"oh, we have final cut pro, but it's just one station in the back room. it's not actually hooked up to anything"
so i generally went elsewhere.

but for a more up-to-date example,
i was talking with the place that is doing the post work on the film i'm cutting now,
and i mentioned i could give them he FCP project with some media if they wanted to check what i'd done with my VFX.
they kind of sneered and said "we don't use that here"
which i though was a bit stupid as they were doing some of the VFX in Shake.
(it was also a stupid thing to say as they'd CAPTURED the footage into FCP, but i digress....)

anyway, this mob IS using Luster to grade the film.
Lustre is a top-end grading system.
if whoever makes it is practically giving it away, my guess is people will take them up on that.

the bigger houses here will use Lustre or Baselight for grading.
if they are using Smoke, it's because they had it already.

i'm still interested in the small to mid-range post houses.
it will be interesting to see where they go with Color / DaVinci, and yes, Smoke.

nick
July 25, 2010 03:17AM
the big post houses I know finish in FCP and Colour. Oh, except one, who uses Quantel, which my producer friend tells me is a bit of a pig, but I have no experience with.

Wow. Guess it may have something to do with you guys just getting running water. This is surprising got to admit.

grinning smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2010 08:49AM
Oh, OK, sorry,I have to qualify that answer - the emphasis needed to be on the *I*. The big post houses *I* know. That's not all the big post houses here.

And running water? Pfft. We've got ELECTRICITY now, man. We can even work AT NIGHT TIME IF WE WANT TO. I tell ya, this Science stuff is freaking amazing.

July 25, 2010 08:55AM
Yeah, maybe. But that doesn't change the fact that it's the dead of winter there right now. Explain that, huh?

July 25, 2010 09:30AM
Yea, I couldn't understand how water runs in winter. The closest I get to winter is in the fridge.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2010 12:58PM
Aussie's got electricity? When did that happen? Next you will be telling me you got wifi.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2010 03:41PM
But seriously, does the toilet flush really go in the other direction in Australia?!?

tongue sticking out smiley
July 25, 2010 03:46PM
If they ever get indoor plumbing, I'm sure we'll be able to find out.

July 25, 2010 03:52PM
If I recall, Austrailia's new PM is a woman and we all know woman like indoor plumbing, so I'm sure she is working hard on getting it for the folks. At least those that live in Perth as they are only ones in AU who still have no access to Coca Cola and deserve at least something.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 25, 2010 08:13PM
Cocoa Cola? Chocolate and Cola? That sounds so gross. I'm happy with the sweet pink camel's milk we grow here in the desert, thank you very much. Oh, and beer. Beer we got.

On a more serious note, Debe, our toilets sort of flush straight down. Whenever I'm in America I'm amazed at how much water you have in the bowl - it seems like a terrible waste. We don't have much water here (it's all tied up in beer) so it doesn't swirl in ANY direction.

Maybe I should shoot a short instructional video..

July 25, 2010 08:30PM
>our toilets sort of flush straight down.

You're on the other side of the earth. Won't it go up instead? I always wonder how you Aussies managed to get a foothold on the ground. That science you're talking about is marvelous.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2010 08:55PM
Don't even get me started on your bizarre toilet flush ? button ? things.

July 27, 2010 12:47AM
>Don't even get me started on your bizarre toilet flush ? button ? things.

It was inspired by Austin Powers.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics