Anybody used these?

Posted by ianedit 
Anybody used these?
July 12, 2010 03:09AM
I posted awhile back and was suggested I use these solutions below for keeping track of used footage. Anybody used these before? Thoughts?

Spherico FIlm Tools
Video Tool Shed
Intelligent Assistance
Re: Anybody used these?
July 13, 2010 12:56AM
I don't think Spherico has anything to keep track of used footage. He has the famous text exchange tool for subtitling and a tool to work with bwf audio.

Video toolshed has a tool that helps you reconnect your media.

Intelligence Assist has a tool for what you mentioned. But it's a little pricey, although I think you can use it on demo and only pay when you need to use it.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2010 02:15AM
Andreas (Sherico) does have "Sound count"
[www.spherico.com]
which on the face of it is for music only.
could it be used for visuals?? i don't know

but the intelligent assistance clip reporter is i think the one.
[www.assistedediting.com]

they look like interesting products, but i haven't used any of them.

nick
July 13, 2010 07:47AM
>could it be used for visuals??

Nope. It takes audio tracks in an xml. It's great for exporting those music cue sheets. I used that for the demo period, but at that time, the exchange rate was around 2.2, which made it quite a steep buy.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2010 10:44AM
...nope.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 13, 2010 11:31AM
What is it exactly that you would like to keep track of? Simply the number of times a clip has been used, or more complex info like how often a certain part of the footage has been used, which timecode ranges are unused, etc?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 13, 2010 12:11PM
The original post was awhile back and it was about breaking down each clip in your sequence without handles. For instance the real use for me would be doing a documentary for instance for the History Channel with a ton of archival footage with different deals with different archives ie; I can use three minutes of this, four minutes of that etc ... A way to break down your sequence by tape assuming that I know what tapes each archive come from. Someone responded with a method were you just use the copy method in media manager then sort by tape then duration in the info columns but that involves copying media and I was more interested in breaking down the sequence to access the metadata only without copying media.
July 13, 2010 12:23PM
Call me stupid. Seriously. Don't hold back. But ? how is that different from an EDL? It's every shot in your timeline, without handles, with reel numbers.

July 13, 2010 12:27PM
You can also create a bin in the FCP browser and drag everything into it and export a batch list, or organize it anyway you want.

You can trim with MM, but copying is a safer option because it is non-destructive.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 13, 2010 12:31PM
there are another couple of ways to do this.

one would be to use the Media Manager,
but rather than copying media,
use the CREATE OFFLINE mode.

if you want to SEE the clips,
copy all the video clips in the timeline,
then paste into a new bin (best to do this in a new project, i reckon)

you'll have to do a bit more work to get rid of all the "chaff"
sort by "type" to locate the text overlays and dissolves, etc that will also turn up.

Jeff
how is that different from an EDL?

more metadata,
more sortable.
July 13, 2010 12:40PM
Jeff:

It's different than an EDL because an EDL won't give you totals per tape. I was basically looking for the FCP equivalent to the decompose function in Avid where you break down the sequence with zero handles, sort by tape and highlight the clips from that tape and hit ( Apple I ) and it gives you the total duration of highlighted items. You could print one in as a source list but you still need to bust out the calculator.

Nick:

Seems like the offline mode seems like the best method so far. Seems like the offline mode is exactly the FCP equivalent to Avid's decompose, thanks. But I was curious about the other softwares suggested, haven't looked into those yet but if your suggestion works than no need. I think I will try it and report back.

Thanks.
July 13, 2010 01:01PM
That sort of report is exactly what Sequence Clip Reporter does. YOu can report every clip in every track (video and audio) or any subset - a limited number of audio tracks, for example.

It also reports Markers (and their contents), reports by reel, reports Filters, and we just added an additional report from Text Generators (FCP, not Boris).

Philip
July 13, 2010 01:07PM
"Seems like the offline mode is exactly the FCP equivalent to Avid's decompose"

it wont tally up totals, though.

what you could do is to create and save a custom column layout with just the relevant info.
when you need it, call it up by right-clicking on any column header (other than "name"winking smiley

then export a batch list,
open that into excel or numbers.

if you're good at those things, (i'm not) i think you can get them to tally numbers (even timecode).

other approaches:
drop the sorted shots into a sequence and use in/outs
(Shift A will mark in/outs around a selection)

start a batch capture of a selection of shots in the browser.
batch cap window should give you a duration.

yes, these are all work-arounds!

oh, one more source for XML - based tools, XMiL:
[xmil.biz]
Xmil Exporter may be worth a look.
(no i haven't used it, or any of the others)

nick
July 13, 2010 01:16PM
Nick:

Great ideas!! I don't care if they are work arounds. If they work than it's a work flow.
July 13, 2010 01:20PM
Phillip;

I just went to the sequence clip reporter website!!!

Holy SH@T!!!!

I haven't used this yet ( obviously ) but if it works like it claims that is beyond amazing.

Thanks,

I am going to repost an "everyone should know about this" in the forum ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics