2nd Monitor

Posted by sgscott 
2nd Monitor
July 14, 2010 10:04AM
I'm looking to add a second monitor to my mac pro. Curently, I'm using the DVI port on my broadcast monitor and switching back and forth for this purpose; but there are times I need to see both at once. I've borrowed a couple of different monitors to try in this position and realized, I don't want something cheap.

I currently use an Apple 23" Cinema Display (older model) and I like it.

Any recommendations?

Scotty
Re: 2nd Monitor
July 14, 2010 10:21AM
For the same display sizes, the Dell Ultrasharp monitors are routinely $200 lower than the Apple monitors and have often been recommended in here.

www.derekmok.com
July 14, 2010 10:23AM
>Curently, I'm using the DVI port on my broadcast monitor

That is a perfectly unacceptable interface for external monitoring, especially if you aren't using a Matrox MXO device, which allows you to calibrate a DVI signal. The DVI connection from the graphics card is 8 bit only and operates completely in a different color space than what is required for video work.

>and realized, I don't want something cheap.

Good. Now we're talking. What are you currently working with and what is your budget? I've heard of Cinetals being mentioned, but frankly, the last one I tried working on (I believe it was one of their older models), didn't have a good enough off-axis response to cut it as a client monitor. The FSIs are frequently mentioned, I hope I get to work on one of those. What really wows me for monitoring, are the HD CRTs, but they're pricey stuff and are out of production.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 14, 2010 11:10AM
Hi Strypes,

Thanks for responding. Maybe my post was confusing, sorry. It is the DVI port on my FSI LM-1760 I am using for a 2nd desktop monitor. BTW, the FSI is great! The only drawback is the size. 17" is almost too small. But using it to double as a desktop monitor leaves a lot to be desired.

Scotty
July 14, 2010 11:11AM
Thanks Derek, I'll check it out.
July 14, 2010 12:54PM
I use a 23" Samsung SyncMaster and I really like it. Quality monitor.

Andy
July 14, 2010 09:39PM
I like the Apple monitors, but as Derek has mentioned, the Dells. I believe they use the same panels as the ACDs. You could try looking at a HP Dreamcolor, if you're crazy about getting a computer monitor that you can use as a semi-tertiary monitoring option. It's pricier than the ACDs, and you should get a probe for that too. Btw, how are the FSIs when it comes to off axis viewing?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 14, 2010 11:35PM
You already work with a 23" ACD? Oh, no, you can't mismatch the styles... that would be heresy. You must get another 23" ACD. (About $500 on eBay-- make sure they include the brick. Some of those eBackasses separate them)

Always work on matched monitors for ease of mind. It says to your client, "Oh, look, matched dual monitors-- that's quite a thing. I'm in the right cutting room."

And yes, that's the model the Matrox MXO likes, along with the Dell, etc.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke Range Check in Viewer or Canvas with Control-Z !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 14, 2010 11:41PM
Agreed. It takes your eyes some time to adjust if you're working on mismatched monitors, especially if they have different colors and Hz.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 15, 2010 12:02AM
Yes, and you can get that very experience by purchasing what you *thought* would be two matched Acer monitors...ST (seat time) :-(

While Apple may be higher price, it's usually because of Q/A.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke Range Check in Viewer or Canvas with Control-Z !

www.neotrondesign.com
July 15, 2010 12:07AM
>While Apple may be higher price, it's usually because of Q/A.

Tell that to the iPhone development team. cool smiley

Just kidding. Acer has some of the worst electronics and design I've seen in computing hardware. In my half hearted defense of Apple, they have been fairly consistent with regards to quality, before reception-gate that is.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 15, 2010 10:51AM
stripes

"Btw, how are the FSIs when it comes to off axis viewing?"

Great. They are all they have been claimed to be.
July 15, 2010 11:03AM
Loren Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You already work with a 23" ACD? Oh, no, you can't
> mismatch the styles... that would be heresy. You
> must get another 23" ACD. (About $500 on eBay--
> make sure they include the brick. Some of those
> eBackasses separate them)
>
> Always work on matched monitors for ease of mind.
> It says to your client, "Oh, look, matched dual
> monitors-- that's quite a thing. I'm in the right
> cutting room."

Thanks Loren. I like your thoughts here, makes sense.

Actually, when I started looking, the first thing I did was look for a second 23" ACD. I saw one on e-bay, but was leery of it. I had seen some reviews about a color cast to some of them, and I didn't want to end up with a mismatch. Also, it seemed the monitor was no longer available, like someone had purchased it, and then sometime latter it showed up again, which made me twice as leery. Also, I like mine so much, I am suspicious of anyone selling theirs?
July 15, 2010 05:31PM
FWIW, I've been using a 24" Dell 2408 side by side w/a 23" ACD for a couple of years now and can't complain. Dialing them in to be pretty close to matching isn't too hard.

-Andrew
July 18, 2010 12:33AM
[ I saw one on e-bay, but was leery of it. I had seen some reviews about a color cast to some of them, and I didn't want to end up with a mismatch.]

On its worst day Apple won't come close to the mismatch between my two Acer X223W's... sigh... it's what I could afford after splurging on the tower and RAM. I said to myself, "It's only temporary..."

Thankfully I judge video color on an old 14 pro Trinitron bottle hovering over them. That's paid off.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke Big Timecode window with Control-T !

www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics