HDV QT files won't play on Windows system

Posted by BeyondFilm 
HDV QT files won't play on Windows system
July 21, 2010 11:45AM
Hey everybody,
I shot video for a client in standard Sony HDV (1440x1080 1080i60)
The files play and edit well in FCP and QT player on my PowerMac. However, this is the response I received from my very tech savvy client:

""The QuickTime files I transferred yesterday will not open on my PC

1. The system shows a QuickTime icon with speaker - meaning it thinks it is audio only (it does play the audio)
2. when opened in QuickTime, it sees the full image resolution as the QuickTime window opens at full 1080i size
3. Premier won't import - it reads "Codec missing" but will not say witch:-)
4. Aftereffect imports the files, acknowledges that is HDV 1080i - but again, no image, only audio""

I am at a loss as to why these files are not playing correctly on a PC. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is there a codec you'd recommend I use to export these files out so they will be more PC friendly? BTW, this is green screen footage so we'd like to maintain the quality as best we can.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Re: HDV QT files won't play on Windows system
July 21, 2010 12:04PM
I believe that it used to be the case (and still is, I think) that the HDV QuickTime component is only installed with Final Cut Studio. So, no joy playing back QuickTime HDV .mov files in QuickTime for Windows as a standard feature.

However, you can get a QuickTime component that will decode HDV and other formats:

XD Decode

You could always transcode the HDV QT files before moving them to Windows...

-Dave
July 22, 2010 07:42PM
Or, is it possible you converted them to ProRes during capture?

July 22, 2010 08:09PM
ProRes is good news for Windoze, because QT comes with the ProRes decoder.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 22, 2010 08:15PM
Oh, it didn't used to. Have they got the latest QT? It's probably not ProRes, because I'm thinking he would have noted that, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case it was being overlooked.

July 23, 2010 10:01AM
Hey Everybody,
Thanks for your input.
Dave's posting from 7/21 did the trick. XD Decode plug in allowed the native HDV movies to be viewed in Windows QT, Premier & After Effects.
I tried a test with an HDV file by exporting it out as a ProRes movie. That test was seen in the native Windows QT without the need for an additional plugin.

In the future, if I am passing HDV flies along to someone on a PC, I can transcode them to ProRes after capture. OR, is it possible to capture HDV footage, using my Sony HVR-V1U camera, and capture the incoming data as ProRes files at the point of digitizing?

I'll have to test that and see if FCP will ingest the HDV stream and convert it to ProRes on the fly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
July 24, 2010 08:32PM
Yes, it will, given the right version. I'm not sure about that particular camera, but FCP can convert to ProRes during capture.

DM
July 25, 2010 10:48AM
I've had the same problem using a Focus Enhancements DTE recorder off my HDV camera. Gave them to a PC without Adobe and no play. I was thinking about trying to record in m2t format instead of QT which may be more windoze friendly. Have u tried it? There seems to be plenty of m2t conversion programs to QT but not the other way around (as m2t is not compatible w. Mac).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics