can't import HD into FCP5 on iMac G5 w/Mac OS 10.5.8

Posted by lianekay 
can't import HD into FCP5 on iMac G5 w/Mac OS 10.5.8
July 22, 2010 05:25PM
So, my FCP 5 works fine on my old Power Mac G5 w/Mac OS 10.4.6. I haven't upgraded because my video work is pretty basic. But my old G5 has been having kernal panic issues, so I decided to get a computer with a little more umph, thus the iMac G5 (refurbished) with the Mac OS 10.5.8. So, I load up the FCP 5 onto brand new used iMac. Everything's going fine until I try to import some footage from my Canon HV20. Woosh! Down goes the Final Cut. What gives here?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: can't import HD into FCP5 on iMac G5 w/Mac OS 10.5.8
July 22, 2010 05:26PM
What does "Woosh! Down goes the Final Cut" mean?

July 22, 2010 05:56PM
I'm sorry. "Woosh! Down goes the Final Cut," means it crashes, i.e. shuts down unexpectedly. A box pops up on the screen saying that Final Cut Pro has shut down unexpectedly and asks if I'd like to report it.
July 22, 2010 06:01PM
If you post the crash log, somebody here might be able to help. Without that, it could be anything from bad RAM to the overwhelming weight of personal guilt. What are you ashamed of? What are your crimes?

July 22, 2010 07:11PM
Your version of the operating system is too new for FCP5. You should not be using a version after 10.4.10 and its compatible QuickTime version. Your QuickTime is too new and won't work properly with FCP5. You cannot put a earlier version of QuickTime into that OS.

All the best,

Tom
July 22, 2010 07:32PM
Thanks Tom.

As for Jeff, I keep my feelings of guilt, shame, general persecution, etc., far, far away from my computer issues, thank you very much. Pluge indeed!
July 22, 2010 07:45PM
Hey, we all try to help in our own way. Tom's our resident diagnostician; I'm your unlicensed, slightly drunken priest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics