XDCAM Log and Transfer Broken

Posted by MitchellRose 
XDCAM Log and Transfer Broken
July 28, 2010 05:50PM
Howdy Comrades --

I downloaded the Sony XDCAM Transfer Utility last summer and have been successfully transcoding to ProRes. All of a sudden it's not working... meaning XDCAM is not showing up in the Log and Transfer Window Preferences option (just AVCHD and P2).

Searching the hard drive for XDCAM Configuration Files, I find 130 of them in a weird place:

HD > Applications > FCP Additional Easy Setups > Simplified Chinese > XDCAM files

That can't be right. Where are they supposed to go and I'll try moving them.

Thanks very much.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
Re: XDCAM Log and Transfer Broken
July 28, 2010 05:52PM
XDCAM Transfer and the XDCAM Log and Transfer plug-in are unrelated. In fact, I prefer not even to install XDCAM Transfer at all, cause I don't like putting stuff that's not absolutely required on my production systems.

Download the Log and Transfer plugin here:

[pro.sony.com]

July 28, 2010 05:56PM
Yes, that's what I had already installed which is nor not working.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
July 28, 2010 08:06PM
In what sense is it "not working"?

The L&T plugin (PDZK-LT1, latest version is 1.2, available here) is for ingest of XDCAM EX and DVCAM media from the SxS media data structure only. If you're working with other XDCAM formats (such as XDCAM HD / HD 422) then you'll want to install Sony's XDCAM Transfer app (PDZK-P1, latest version is 2.12 and is available at the same link above).

Hope it helps
Andy
July 29, 2010 10:40AM
In the FCP Log and Transfer window, it used to be that there was a Preference for transcoding either AVCHD, PS, or XDCAM files. (And the XDCAM option was there because of my previous downloading the Sony Transfer Utility). Now all of a sudden the XDCAM option isn't there.

I downloaded the application you linked to. That works for viewing XDCAM files but it will not transcode to ProRes.

Thanks.

Mitchell Rose
[www.mitchellrose.com]
July 31, 2010 05:59AM
Hey Mitchell

Neither the XDCAM Transfer app nor the XDCAM Log and Transfer plugin for FCP offers the option to transcode to ProRes during ingest ... they never have. What both tools do allow you to do is to import the XDCAM clips to your FCP system whilst simultaneously changing the clip's original (.MXF/.MP4) container format (aka rewrap) the to the regular Quicktime/FCP compatible container (.MOV).

This is why you don't see a preference where you can pick ProRes.

Hope it helps
Andy
July 31, 2010 06:47AM
Ah. I remember now. Yea, you can't transcode XDCAM EX with L&T. You can only transcode AVC formats and RED to ProRes with L&T, as these are the formats that FCP cannot work with natively. To get your stuff to ProRes, you either MM or send it through Compressor.

Good catch there, Andy.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 31, 2010 09:15AM
Just giving the topic some SE Asian love :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics