Lap Top V.S. G5 Tower

Posted by Liza 
Lap Top V.S. G5 Tower
October 05, 2010 04:58PM
Hi All -- before I ask apple is there any reason I cannot use the latest MAC laptop V.S. the G5 Tower for cutting? (Using FCP Studio 5). I wouldn't mind being able to leave my enclosed "office". I want to know if the latest laptop has acquired all necessary hardware I/O for decks and media drives, good through-put etc... Do I have to get the tower?

Thanks in advance.
L.
Re: Lap Top V.S. G5 Tower
October 05, 2010 05:18PM
Hi Liza

"G5s" are no longer made. But the new "MacPros" look very similar to the old G5 cases so its an easy mistake to make.

Certainly any of the current Apple Macs including the Mac mini, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacPro are more than capable of editing with FCS. However you will need to upgrade to FCP 7 if you buy any of these as they have Intel processors which FCP 5 doesn't not support correctly.

Regarding I/O. A top-of-the-line MacBook Pro 17" like the one I have is fantastically powerful and with the ExpressCard34 slot and firewire 800 and USB 2.0 I can connect to a vast array of editing equipment.

What ports do you need?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 05, 2010 05:59PM
Hi Mr. King

Thanks so much. HA! Just shows you how out of the purchasing loop I am. In all honesty it angers me that apple's strategy is NOT to help you keep your old equipment, but rather to make sure you buy new equipment. Argh! Too bad I can't upgrade. If I were to get a new computer I think going from FCP 5 to 7 would require two (2) upgrades and possibly cost the same as buying FCP 7 brand new? Am I correct?

As far as ports, I am still in old school deck-mode, so bear with me. What about input/ output to Digibeta, HDCamSR, or DA88 with a MacBookPro? I guess we are talking about some sort of RS422 adapter? Also isn't only one monitor instead of two monitors annoying? (one to view the projects and one to view media time-line) I assume one can add a monitor. And speaking of monitors what about ports for the broadcast monitor? I am assuming there are all different types of work-arounds and look forward to hearing about them. If anyone has used the (laptop) MAcBookPro in circumstances where you added external drives, decks and monitors, can you let me know about your good or bad experiences?

Thanks all in advance!
Liza
October 05, 2010 06:55PM
Thats ok Mz Field

As far as the options for the MBP 17"

To go to Digibeta or HDCAM SR you would need something like the AJA IO or IOHD [www.aja.com] or something from the Matrox MXO2 range [www.matrox.com]

You would also need some fast storage connected via the Express34 slot to eSATA or USB 3.0 or PCIe.

You can Drive a display on the MBP up to 2560x1600 via the MiniDisplay Port so running a 27" or 30" Apple Cinema Display gives you all the screen real-estate you might need.

Alternatively you could hook up a projector or HDMI HD TV and use that.

Regarding FCP installation - as far as I am aware both Adobe and Apple allow their products to be installed 2x as long as one is installed on a desktop Mac and the other on a Laptop - you might want to check this is still the case directly with Apple.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 05, 2010 07:20PM
Awesome! Thanks again Mr. King!
October 06, 2010 01:48PM
You don't need to upgrade Final Cut Pro twice. You're eligible for the $299 upgrade (shop around and you'll find it even cheaper).

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics