1920x1080 vs 1888x1062

Posted by SantaFe505 
1920x1080 vs 1888x1062
October 11, 2010 03:47AM
Hi Folks,

I'm working in Final Cut Pro 6.0.6.

I'm exporting several sequences Using Quicktime Conversion and the Animation codec. The timelines that are being exported are 1920x1080. The exported movies are also SUPPOSED to be 1920x1080.

The strange thing is, when I open my exported movies in quicktime, the inspector says "Format: Apple Animation, 1920 x 1080 (1888x1062), Millions". It's the "1888x1062" that concerns me. Further down the inspector says, "Normal Size: 1888x1062 pixels"

Final Cut reads these exported movies as 1920x1080 and so does MPEG Streamclip. But when I export a still from quicktime, the dimensions are 1888x1062.

These Animation movies are being exported for composite work in Nuke. It's important that when they enter other programs they are, without question, 1920x1080.

What's going on here? Can I depend on these files to read as 1920x1080 in other programs?

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
Re: 1920x1080 vs 1888x1062
October 11, 2010 06:44AM
It's an old hangover from Analogue production...

Excerpt from the SMPTE 274M standard

E.4 Clean aperture

E.4.1 The bandwidth limitation of an analog signal (pre- and post-filtering) can introduce transient ringing effects which intrude into the active picture area. Also, multiple digital blanking operations in an analog-digital-analog environment can increase transient ringing effects.
Furthermore, cascaded spatial filtering and/or techniques for handling the horizontal and vertical edges of the picture (associated with complex digital processing in post-production) can introduce transient disturbances at the picture boundaries, both horizontally and vertically. It is not possible to impose any bounds on the number of cascaded digital processes which might be encountered in the practical post-production system. Hence, recognizing the reality of those picture edge transient effects, the definition of a system design guideline is introduced in the form of a subjectively artifact-free area, called clean aperture.

E.4.2 The clean aperture defines an area within which picture information is subjectively uncontaminated by all edge transient distortions.
The clean aperture should be as wide as is needed to accommodate cascaded digital manipulations of the picture. Computer simulations have shown that a transient effect area defined by 16 samples on each side and 9 lines at both top and bottom within the digital production aperture, would represent an acceptable (and practical) worst-case level of protection in allowing two-dimensional transient ringing to settle below a subjectively acceptable level.

E.4.3 This gives rise to a clean aperture of 1888 horizontal active pixels by 1062 active lines whose quality is guaranteed for final release.

Don't worry - this is not a big issue.

Your FCP movies ARE actually encoded at 1920x1080 its just that Quicktime is set to show SD and HD video with the "Conform aperture to:" set to clean.

You can see and then export the full 1920 x 1080 picture in Quicktime 7.1+ by going into 'Show Movie Properties' (Command+J) from the Window menu.

Click the Presentation drop-down and choose the aperture setting you want to view. I suggest using "Encoded Pixels".

Then export from Quicktime (if you need to).

You can read the Apple Support article here:

[support.apple.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: 1920x1080 vs 1888x1062
August 18, 2014 02:37PM
I know this is a few years after the fact, but Wow, Thanks! This issue has bugged me forever.

Jim Blankenship
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics