i have studio 3 but i still have QT 10

Posted by ankawa 
i have studio 3 but i still have QT 10
October 18, 2010 01:34PM
do i really need QT pro ???? I just notice that my QT version is 10.
When I had studio 2, I also had QT pro.

Is there a reason to upgrade to QTpro ?

thanks
Re: i have studio 3 but i still have QT 10
October 18, 2010 01:40PM
You have a license for QuickTime Pro already. It comes with Final Cut Studio. However, you need QuickTime Player 7 to take advantage of it and QuickTime Player 7 is not installed by default on Snow Leopard. You need to put your Snow Leopard disc in and install it manually.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 18, 2010 02:48PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have a license for QuickTime Pro already. It
> comes with Final Cut Studio. However, you need
> QuickTime Player 7 to take advantage of it and
> QuickTime Player 7 is not installed by default on
> Snow Leopard. You need to put your Snow Leopard
> disc in and install it manually.

is there a problem (performance ) with FCP if i dont install QT pro????
thanks
October 18, 2010 02:50PM
None whatsoever.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 18, 2010 03:15PM
> do i really need QT pro ???? I just notice that my QT version is 10.

Yes, you do need QuickTime Pro. I hadn't even been aware that you could install FCP without it -- I would trust Jon on that one -- but QuickTime X (10) doesn't have a Pro version yet (maybe not ever?). Maybe FCP can run without QuickTime Pro, but QuickTime Pro has a host of functions that you need just within QuickTime Player -- editing, resaving and export, etc. For $30, it's a no-brainer.

The thing is, though, the highest QuickTime Pro version is 7 (7.6.6, I think). It can co-exist with QuickTime X. One of my clients has that, and they kept complaining about movie files looking crappy until I found out they've been double-clicking to open them, thus activating the inferior QuickTime X rather than QuickTime Pro 7 for viewing purposes, resulting in their difference in perception.

[discussions.info.apple.com]

www.derekmok.com
October 18, 2010 03:20PM
I think there's some confusion here. "QuickTime Pro" refers to the Pro version of QuickTime Player. It has no effect on Final Cut Pro or any app that uses QuickTime.

There is no "Pro" version of QuickTime Player X, only QuickTime Player 7. So if you want to take advantage of the pro features within QuickTime Player 7 (again, this is only applies to the player) then you need to install it manually from the Snow Leopard DVD.

You do not need to purchase QuickTime Pro if you have Final Cut Studio.

My software:
More tools...
October 18, 2010 03:27PM
> You do not need to purchase QuickTime Pro if you have Final Cut Studio.

QuickTime Pro had always been installed automatically as part of the Final Cut Pro installation, unless that's changed. In so far as that's true, no, you don't need to purchase QuickTime Pro, because it already came with FCP. But QuickTime Pro was an on-paper requirement for FCP last I checked. I have no idea what happens (if anything) if you don't install QuickTime Pro, or for some reason your QuickTime is downgraded to not Pro while FCP is still installed. If what Jon says is right, it makes no difference.

I have no idea why Apple came up with QuickTime X. If QuickTime X is installed on a system with QuickTime 7 in it, then QuickTime 7 gets moved to the Utilities folder. It makes no sense. A media player is not a utility.

www.derekmok.com
October 18, 2010 03:34PM
You can't not install the QuickTime Pro license. I know my reply above implied this was possible, but that's only because I ignored what the OP had said as I thought they had made a mistake and probably meant to say "QuickTime Player 7". Apologies for the confusion.

But it makes absolutely no difference to the operation of Final Cut Pro as the recording and exporting functions are present in the QuickTime and QTKit APIs anyway. Any application can make use of them freely.

My software:
More tools...
October 18, 2010 07:10PM
all right guys
thanks again for your help
October 19, 2010 03:56AM
Just a quick note, when I installed Snow Leopard QT10 appeared in the dock but QT was not.
It was hidden in App's-Utillities.
Personally I hate the interface of 10 and you cant do much with it.

Derek
October 19, 2010 04:09AM
Agree. Not to be whiny, but why isn't there a Pro version yet? Having to have two versions is awkward.

October 19, 2010 11:35AM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
> Agree. Not to be whiny, but why isn't there a Pro
> version yet? Having to have two versions is
> awkward.

It may likely be due to the huge task involved with rewriting the entire QT media framework in OS X (wild guess). Since FCP is dependent on QT, a rewrite of FCP in Cocoa may require the new QT to be finished first (and no need to comment on Cocoa versus Carbon apps, etc.)...

Anyway, back to the topic... Here's a link to QT 7 Player, so you don't have to use the version on the Snow Leopard Install disc (which is not the current version, I believe):

QuickTime 7 Player for Snow Leopard

-Dave
October 19, 2010 11:58AM
>I have no idea why Apple came up with QuickTime X.

I read that one of the reasons QT X came up was because QT 7 has become too bloated over the years, and will not run efficiently on mobile devices, hence, they needed a lighter version of QT. This is aside from porting it over to Cocoa. However, the question is how light will QT X be, once you fill it in with all the Pro features?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 19, 2010 12:13PM
There is a very important reason why there are two QuickTime Players. QuickTime X introduced hardware acceleration for certain formats, but you can only take advantage of this if you open the movie for playback only. So in order to get hardware acceleration, you have to sacrifice the ability to edit the movie. So QuickTime X is for playback, QuickTime 7 is for editing.

P.S. There is already a Cocoa API for QuickTime called QTKit (I believe this was released in OS X 10.4 and then updated for 10.5, but I'm not 100% sure). This covers the essentials of editing and playing back movies but for more specialized stuff it's still necessary to use the old C API.

My software:
More tools...
October 19, 2010 12:45PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
> P.S. There is already a Cocoa API for QuickTime
> called QTKit (I believe this was released in OS X
> 10.4 and then updated for 10.5, but I'm not 100%
> sure). This covers the essentials of editing and
> playing back movies but for more specialized stuff
> it's still necessary to use the old C API.

Both QT X Player and QT 7 Player (at least in Snow Leopard) access QTKit. QTKit then dispatches "requests" to various underlying frameworks (old code versus newer code), depending on the version of QT Player (and OS).

Hopefully, sooner than later, Apple will augment QT X so we won't need QT 7 anymore, making it lightweight or full-featured, as needed...
winking smiley

-Dave
October 20, 2010 08:21AM
As several people here said you can use the QuickTime Player 7.6.x as Pro version if FCS/FCP is installed without buying a license. If not installed with SL, either use the Apple download or install from the SL DVD. You also can make it the default application to open movies within the info window of one movie: Go to the 'Open with:' row, select 'QuickTime Player 7' from the popup and hit 'Change All' - you might need to do this several times for different types of codec/extension.

Regarding the functionality of FCP (or any other app in the FCS bundle) you do not need any flavour of Apple's QT Players at all. The QT functionality is build into the OS.

But there are things with QT Player (Pro) 7 which makes it a nice additional tool with the FCS bundle. It's scriptable with a real lot of functions (you can get all Pro features for free with the standard version, if you know a bit about AppleScript). For example you can add one or more subtitle tracks or extract them same as chapter tracks, you can crop them by a mask, make an animated overlay and many other fancy things (even without knowing AppleScript with the Pro version).

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics