Premier Cs5 vs Final Cut

Posted by J.Corbett 
Premier Cs5 vs Final Cut
October 21, 2010 01:04PM
I have been using premier pro for about a year. Its not my main editor but it does solve a lot of the problems that final cut has yet to work out.

Things like...
Mixed frames rates
getting to AE, Soundbooth or Encore
Fast export
not bad on the CC either
no baking
90% of footage will play as native in realtime

FCP has became just a cut machine because i still believe it is the easiest place to cut.

Has Premier became a stronger edit system than FCP / FCS?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Premier Cs5 vs Final Cut
October 21, 2010 01:17PM
>Mixed frames rates

The fix for mixing frame rates for most projects is a reshoot, because you cannot effectively match the motion quality. Should you decide to proceed in post with mixed frame rates, the most effective solution is optical flow based motion compensation, and that cannot run in real time except with hardware acceleration.

>getting to AE, Soundbooth or Encore

There is a bunch of free scripts out there that can effectively translate an FCP xml into AE. I haven't tried using Soundbooth or Encore.

The biggest question is how mature is Premiere's media management, and how effective can you edit with it?

FCP needs a faster renderer, but I'm not fully convinced about doing mograph, online work or editing 4k RAW in an offline editor.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 21, 2010 08:53PM
"Has Premier became a stronger edit system than FCP / FCS?"

Has it? Ask yourself that....'has this become better than FCP for me?' If the answer is yes...use it. If it solves a lot of editing and workflow needs you have...then I'd say yes. If not, i'd say no.

Personally, it doesn't solve anything for me. Everything I need to do I can do in FCP and the FCS universe just fine. And Avid, just fine. I don't need what CS5 offers. Mixed frame rates? I know how to solve that. Getting into AE, Soundbooth, Encore? I don't do that, so no...it doesn't solve that. 90% footage will play native, in real time? OK...that's cool. But I prefer converting. I prefer working with ONE format when possible. Too many gotchas... Like, can you send an Audio OMF to ProTools from CS5? I need that, as my audio mixers use that.

CS5 doesn't do what I need...so I don't use it. If you like it...use it. There is no competition happening, despite what everyone KEEPS trying to make happen. There are different products for different needs. Options. We all like options. Not all of us need a truck to haul stuff....some of us like the economy car to drive around. SOme like a sports car to drive fast everywhere. some need the minivan to cart kids and stuff around. Is one better than the other? Yes..at certain things.

Get what you want that solves the need you have. Stop trying to compare things that really shouldn't be compared.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 22, 2010 09:37AM
We have both FCP on a Mac, and Adode CS4 on a i7 PC.

Honestly, from a strictly personal opinion I like FCP better for an editing platform;
but like Adobe for After Effects.

My biggest pet peeve about CS4 is its "native" XDCAM support- it has never worked.
Nor will Premeire, or any CS4 app read a Mac encoded XDCAM file.
(Although it has no problem with ProRes 422)

Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Has Premier became a stronger edit system than
> FCP / FCS?"
>
> Has it? Ask yourself that....'has this become
> better than FCP for me?' If the answer is
> yes...use it. If it solves a lot of editing and
> workflow needs you have...then I'd say yes. If
> not, i'd say no.
>
> Personally, it doesn't solve anything for me.
> Everything I need to do I can do in FCP and the
> FCS universe just fine. And Avid, just fine. I
> don't need what CS5 offers. Mixed frame rates? I
> know how to solve that. Getting into AE,
> Soundbooth, Encore? I don't do that, so no...it
> doesn't solve that. 90% footage will play native,
> in real time? OK...that's cool. But I prefer
> converting. I prefer working with ONE format when
> possible. Too many gotchas... Like, can you send
> an Audio OMF to ProTools from CS5? I need that,
> as my audio mixers use that.
>
> CS5 doesn't do what I need...so I don't use it.
> If you like it...use it. There is no competition
> happening, despite what everyone KEEPS trying to
> make happen. There are different products for
> different needs. Options. We all like options.
> Not all of us need a truck to haul stuff....some
> of us like the economy car to drive around. SOme
> like a sports car to drive fast everywhere. some
> need the minivan to cart kids and stuff around.
> Is one better than the other? Yes..at certain
> things.
>
> Get what you want that solves the need you have.
> Stop trying to compare things that really
> shouldn't be compared.
DM
October 24, 2010 11:44AM
How about this for a scare?

Microsoft has designs to swallow Adobe....
October 24, 2010 01:33PM
Good! They might be able to afford some quality control then.

October 24, 2010 07:45PM
Will that mean you don't have to update every time you open an Adobe application? Cause yay for that, I tell ya.

October 24, 2010 08:01PM
I've gotten into the habit of using my CS5 applications so infrequently that sometimes, when I open one, it has to update itself twice!

October 24, 2010 08:12PM
Mind you, we could go from this

to this

October 24, 2010 09:10PM
You made those? Just now? Just for this?

If I promise never, ever to try to get freaky with you, will you marry me?

October 24, 2010 09:32PM
I guess we need more emoticons on this forum... and no, the vomiting one will not do...

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2010 11:46PM
Naw I didn't make them. Shame. I like Cajun food.

October 25, 2010 02:25PM
It seems easier to edit with FCP but i hate all the converting and baking to get smooth play from mixed formats/frame rates.

I wish FCP could read the footage > give a report on the amount of each format > then allow us to click the conversion that we wanted > open Compressor process > and roundtrip the clips back to a converted bin. Maybe it does but i haven't found a way.

I do not like the tool set of Premier.
I dont really like the TL or the hidden viewer.

I can edit faster in FCP. Maybe there is no comparator between the 2 just personal comfortability/preference.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 25, 2010 03:25PM
"Baking" still does not mean what you seem to think it means, Corbett.

October 25, 2010 06:57PM
>I wish FCP could read the footage > give a report on the amount of each format > then allow us to click the conversion that we wanted > open Compressor process > and roundtrip the clips back to a converted bin. Maybe it does but i haven't found a way.

Use the Recompress option in FCP's Media Manager.

>I do not like the tool set of Premier.
>I dont really like the TL or the hidden viewer.
>I can edit faster in FCP. Maybe there is no comparator between the 2 just personal comfortability/preference.

That's just because you are not as used to it / are used to something different, and deep down inside you wish you didn't have to use it because you consider yourself a hot stuff FCP editor but know you can't yet claim to be a hot stuff Premiere editor . If you just stopped struggling, stopped thinking in FCP and wistfully comparating (sic) Apples to Baked Oranges at every step ... if you just went ahead and switched, embraced it (and by that I mean use it exclusively) then I dare say your speed and comfort level etc would improve dramatically.

Just a thought.
October 26, 2010 12:07AM
I agree with Andy. You need to fully embrace a platform before you can be comfortable with it. Join the adobe user group for Premiere, be a part of the online discussions. Forget us lowly FCP editors. You are cool now with your Premiere and when you wake up every morning, tell yourself that you are a hot stuff Premiere editor and there is no one like you. Live Premiere, breathe Premiere. It is the very essence of your existence, your raison d'être. It is your weapon of choice, your Excalibur. Go on and be proud of who you are! You are now a Premiere editor!

www.strypesinpost.com
October 26, 2010 09:01AM
Join the adobe user group for Premiere

If it's anything like the Photoshop user group, you'll be back here in no time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics