Multi Camera Shoot

Posted by bmart 
Multi Camera Shoot
October 22, 2010 03:50PM
Hello All,

This is my first post and I am just past the beginner level with FCP7. My equipment is limited. I will be shooting a series of short (5 minute) videos using three Canon AVCHD cameras and I'd like to use the multiclip feature in FCP7 for editing. Camera options for shooting are 24, 17, 12, 7 & 5 Mbps. I'd like the best res possible for 16:9 output.Video will be used on our web site, DVD production and YouTube.

Using a MacBook Pro 17", OSX.6.4 and 8 gigs of memory. I know it's not much but it is what it is.

What settings should I use for camera and FCP Sequence and Capture? Was thinking of ProRes LT, 30p and 48khz but not sure of resolution. Any and all insight appreciated.

Thanks

Barry
Re: Multi Camera Shoot
October 22, 2010 04:48PM
Don't let this freak you out or anything, Barry, but ? all of that sounds pretty close to right to me.

ProRes LT is a good choice for this material. I've used it many times with stuff that originated in a highly compressed format, and it does the job admirably. I would be uncomfortable using LT in a workflow that required a great many passes of re-encoding, but I wouldn't have any hesitation about using it the way you describe.

You shouldn't shoot 30p, though. That'll end up looking terrible in all of your delivery formats, and for no good reason. Just stick to 24p for this. It's the right frame rate.

As for resolution, go with whatever the camera's native resolution is. Since you're talking about Canon, I'm assuming that's gonna be 1920x1080. Stick with that ? it sounds big, but your laptop-based system will handle it just fine ? until you're ready to deliver. Then convert your 1080p24 master into whatever delivery formats you need to ship.

Re: Multi Camera Shoot
October 22, 2010 05:44PM
Thanks for the help Jeff. Looks like I have some experimenting to do on the weekend. Yipee!

Cheers

Barry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics