FCP in Applications folder at 136gb

Posted by eyeseesound 
FCP in Applications folder at 136gb
October 24, 2010 05:22AM
Hey, bit confused.

I partitiion my drives and (perhaps stupidly) allocated on 250gb to my apps folder/desktop. Recently the capacity has been caned so i was looking around to find out why and in my apps folder FCP7 is 136gb

My project file and rushes etc are on a different internal drive and from a quick google it looks like it shouldn't be more than a few gb big, so why is it so bloated and how do i reduce it?

cheers
Re: FCP in Applications folder at 136gb
October 24, 2010 06:39AM
For comparison, my FCP7 is 518MB. If you right click the app icon and choose 'show package contents' is there anything massively odd in there?

October 24, 2010 09:03AM
On rare occasion FCP can go completely wonky and start putting renders inside its own app folder. Do what Jude says and have a poke around inside the app folder itself and if you see anything unusual that looks like it doesn't belong then report back here ... someone will be able to confirm for you right away whether it really belongs there or can and should be deleted
October 24, 2010 12:02PM
Bingo... thanks guys.

It has put the audio and video renders inside the Apps folder. When I did 'show package contents' I have a MacOS folder, inside that I have Audio Render, Plugins and Render files.

In my system setup I have the scratch disc set to my internal harddrive i want it to... i noticed the waveform cache, thumbnail cache and autosave i hadn't changed and they were saving to my username documents folder, but that is something different i believe (have changed it now).

Other folders in the 'show package contents' are all quite small and include: _CodeSignature, Frameworks, Plug-Ins (empty as it goes), Plugins, Resources.

So, is there anything i can do about the Audio Render and Render files? Or shall I just delete them from there as i finish projects? I'd rather they were in my large drive but it isn't the end of the world and, thank you both, at least I know what's going on now.

Jules
October 24, 2010 01:21PM
It's best not to leave them in there. Either move them elsewhere and reconnect or delete them and re-render.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 24, 2010 01:23PM
I've seen that happen once when I took over a project. Not sure what caused it. You would definitely delete those files and trash your preferences.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2010 01:51PM
Thing is it looks like a it's been putting the last x weeks/months of renders in there, so moving them and re-rendering is fine, but won't it just try and put them back in there again?

I hate trashing my preferences, my backup version is always so old because i forget to make copies when i alter my favourites etc., that it's so soul destroying having to reset up FCP... plus since FCP7 it seems to crash as regularly as my old PCs used to and i'm sick of the sight of my preferences smiling smiley... obviously that's another gripe, but it does appear that i've gone from an incredibly stable system for 6 years to a borderline pile of crap... coincidently things seem to have got bad at the same time that Jobs decided to turn Apple into a toy company... but hey, the world now has the flash free iPad, so who am i to bemoan the fact my work station no longer works well! smiling smiley

Still, i shall move tomorrow and render stuff again and see where it saves them.
October 24, 2010 01:53PM
I wonder if it's something to do with file permissions. Perhaps it defaults to the application bundle if it doesn't have write permissions for the scratch folder.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 24, 2010 02:00PM
You don't have to lose all that work if you prepare before you trash your prefs.
Make a new Favorites project.
Copy everything from your Favorites folder into the project. Save it somewhere.
Save all your Keyboards, Button bars and what have you, to the same place.

Trash preferences.
Open Favorites project, copy from project into favorites folder.
Reload keyboards, button bars etc.

And really, complaining that your system has turned into a pile of crap when you won't bother to do even the basic maintenance isn't a good way to get help.
You were lucky that your system was stable for 6 years but it really is a coincidence that that happened at the same time the iPad came out. Steve doesn't stay awake at night thinking how he can screw you by selling more iPads. If you're sick at the sight of your preferences try not having any preferences.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 24, 2010 02:14PM
Will try that Andrew thanks.

Not sure why my moaning about FCP7 will stop people helping me, unless a) Jobs is on here posting fixes or b) blind Apple acolytes are on here and take offence. If you sat through the last year of my Mac life I don't believe it was anything to do with basic maintenance... but hey, neither you, nor I, nor in fact the genius at the Regent Street Apple store, can prove it one way or t'other... and sure jobs doesn't think about me, just the cash rolling in, and if anyone can say that since the iFranchise really took off FCP hasn't suffered... then they've lucked in.

Sure I may have been really unlucky and had a terribly unfortunate year, or maybe FCP etc., just isn't as important as money making toys, because that's where they're heading, and that's what they're peddling.

Just my opinion, but as valid as anyone's... more so in fact as it pertains to me, of course.

Thanks for the advice though, and will get my head around it tomorrow.

Jules
October 24, 2010 02:18PM
If you forget to backup your preferences, a better solution might be locking them. Locking preferences prevents modification, which in turn prevents them from getting corrupted. Instead of having to remember to back them up, simply unlock them on the rare occasions you change them and then lock them again.

My software:
More tools...
October 24, 2010 02:45PM
Now, that is a good idea that i dind't know about, thank you.
October 24, 2010 03:00PM
eyeesound
Not sure why my moaning about FCP7 will stop people helping me

Moaning about FCP7 just puts you in the majority of people who complain about all software all the time on boards across the globe. Some of it is griping, some of it helps identify flaws in the software.

Resisting doing simple maintenance is what I have a problem with. I think you're doing a lot of the right things and I know it gets frustrating when you hit road blocks to your work. We also get a lot of this kind of thing here...

Helper : "Hey, heres a simple fix and a first step to isolating your problem."
Helpee: "Uggh, Do I have to? I hate doing that."
Helper: "OK."
An uncomfortable silence descends upon the room. Crickets chirp.
Helper : (coughs) "So what time do the shops close here?"
Helpee: (mumbles)
excruciatingly slow fade.

Try some of the suggested fixes, I can also recommend the Digital Rebellion software for looking after your preferences.
I am no blind Apple acolyte. I sit here in an all PC AVID suite, enjoying the heck out of AVID v5. Except for that stupid unremappable F1 button and the *@#$! windows key between Alt and Ctrl.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 24, 2010 05:51PM
> Except for that stupid unremappable F1 button and the *@#$! windows key between Alt and
> Ctrl.

I remove the "Help" key on my Apple keyboard. It is literally a blank hole, because I used to keep brushing it when I hit Backspace, and then I had to wait for OS Help to load.

Locking the preferences works for some things, but if you have to switch Scratch Disk settings all the time, it's a pain in the butt. Just use the backup software suggested above. Besides, favourite effects are best stored in a real project file, not in preferences (ie. the Effects tab of the Browser).

www.derekmok.com
October 25, 2010 06:39AM
Andrew Kines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Except for that stupid unremappable F1 button

Gah! Don't laugh, but back in the day I used to have my Insert and Overwrite keys mapped to F1 and F2 ... no, it wasn't especially clecer or efficient, but it was something I found altogether satisfying, almost visceral, tapping away on the keyboard and then flicking my hand up to those keys to insert and overwrite ... and then then they forever locked the F1 button. Troglodytes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics