WARNING - Just did Prokit update.

Posted by Ethan 
WARNING - Just did Prokit update.
October 25, 2010 07:43PM
I just did Prokit update 6.0.1
Java for OSx 10.6 update 3
iwebupdate 3.0.2
and iTunes 10.0.1

And now FCP is hinky, Motion and Color won't open at all. I haven't tried STP, but that doesn't really work so much anyway. Next I'll flash e-prom.
Re: WARNING - Just did Prokit update.
October 25, 2010 08:42PM
Not having any problems with Motion or Color but a couple of my DVDSP projects now won't open and crash the app.

The crash was caused by the ProKit according to FCP Maintenance Pack Crash Analyser.

FCP seems a bit wobbly too - might be another issue as well.

Looks like a clean install and updates is on the cards this week.

Woo hoo! Just what I needed :|

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 25, 2010 08:53PM
Some people have managed to get it working by copying the old ProKit.framework from another computer or restoring it from a Time Machine backup.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 26, 2010 06:01AM
Sounds like an update to avoid.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 26, 2010 10:31AM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like an update to avoid.

Yep, especially as it offers nothing new for Final Cut Studio.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 26, 2010 11:00AM
Further DVDSP weirdness after ProKit 6.0.1 (SnowLeopard) update...

When importing previously working PSDs or PNGs it now comes up with an import error "Incompatible Format"

This also happens on some projects when I copy a working image file and change the name!!!

Apple what the [bleeeep] have you done?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 26, 2010 11:02AM
Ben, you should report all of this here:
[bugreport.apple.com] (requires free developer registration)

My software:
More tools...
October 26, 2010 11:02AM
Link to the 2010-02 Pro Application Update 2010-02

[support.apple.com]

Going to try backdating to this.

[Lots of swearing]

October 26, 2010 12:12PM

Ben, you should report all of this here:
[bugreport.apple.com] (requires free developer registration)

Registered and posted - if you get on Skype I'll send over the crash logs and the problem if you want to look at them?

October 26, 2010 01:03PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Link to the 2010-02 Pro Application Update
> 2010-02
>
> [support.apple.com]
>
> Going to try backdating to this.
>

Unfortunately this won't work because ProKit is a separate update. I will be on Skype later - maybe I can send you my ProKit.framework (I haven't updated yet) and we'll see if that works.

My software:
More tools...
October 26, 2010 02:14PM
I did the prokit also and i have stutter on round trip to&from color and i have also seen the png's and psd's kink a little (in Motion though). I never used time machine so i am just stuck.

My system drive is not backed up. I just back up media & projects.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
October 26, 2010 04:19PM
Here is a solution, providing you can get hold of a copy of the older ProKit framework:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
More tools...
October 28, 2010 02:46AM
I'd love it if you could send me that file too
October 28, 2010 03:11AM
is anyone interested in sending me an old "ProKit.framework" pre- prokit 6.0.1 update?

It's found in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks.

[dropbox.yousendit.com]

thnx.
October 28, 2010 08:15PM
I heard about these problems at last night's LAFCPUG meeting. I had updated to 6.0.1 and I haven't (touch wood) experienced any problems.

FCP, DVD SP, Soundtrack Pro, Motion all open fine. Should I just leave it alone, or do you think I should use Time Machine to go back to the old version anyway?

Any idea why some people have a problem, and others don't?
October 29, 2010 01:41AM
Why it effects some systems is a mystery that can't be solved without a look at multiple effected systems. If your system is working leave it alone. You can always go to your backup when there is a problem. You would just be making my mistake in reverse.
October 29, 2010 04:01PM
So annoying that I spent 2 days mucking with this when it should take 2 minutes. Thanks for that thing you sent me.
October 31, 2010 11:23AM
I'm not having these issues everything seems fine as far as I can tell.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
November 19, 2010 06:31AM
I just had the same issues with DVDSP. Opened fine, working fine, then crashed, and now won't open at all. Prokit and Appkit are implicated in the logs. Pain in the ass.

November 19, 2010 06:34AM
Did you make a copy of the Framework first?

If not get on Skype and will send you a copy.

November 19, 2010 07:03AM
I've just downgraded to 5.1, but still crashing when I try to open the app now. I'm also on OS 10.6.5 now, so maybe the downgrade won't work at all. I can't find the receipts anymore.

November 19, 2010 07:09AM
Also I haven't been on skype so long I've forgotten my password! I had hoped this glitches would have been caught by the os upgrade. Sadly it seems not.

November 19, 2010 07:31AM
Did you follow these instructions?: [www.digitalrebellion.com]

I have 10.6.5 and the old ProKit works fine

Re Skype sign up a new one - tis free!

Then pm me your UN

November 19, 2010 06:30PM
I'm trying a re-install of DVDSP with the 5.1 prokit in. I'll let you know how it goes.

November 19, 2010 08:15PM
Two weeks ago apple contacted me and asked for my Hardware Profile in connection with this failure. So there might be an update coming.
November 20, 2010 01:32AM
Well I just finished re-installing DVDSP and now it just sits on the splash screen for a while then quits. Officially buggered. I saw this on a macbook the other day - just sitting on the splash screen forever with nothing else happening, but thought it was machine specific. Obviously not.

November 22, 2010 06:33PM
FCP has failed now, which sucks. Crashes on opening just like DVDSP. It's possible it's another issue, I'll report back with logs for anyone interested when I have a minute. Meantime, my assumption is that the prokit upgrade i not really fun. Don't go there.

JC
November 23, 2010 02:18AM
Too late. I went there and failed miserably. I couldn't open fcp, compressor, dvdsp etc. I just spent two days tinkering around and re-installing the os and fcp studio 3. Unfortunately I didn't see this thread until now. I thought it was something I was doing wrong and I was going insane because of it. Now I can sleep a little easier.

Good Night,

Jeff
November 24, 2010 06:07PM
OK got a minute and ran Jon Chappell's FCS Maintenance Pack and the problem is definitely ProKit. I've backtracked ProKit, run cleanups, re-installed DVDSP and still nada. Lucky for me I have another internal drive that runs a clean stable system, but if you're not backed up stay away from this update! Wonder if we should make this a sticky until there is a repair..

November 24, 2010 06:16PM
Someone commented on my blog post with the following steps that worked for them:

1. Delete the 6.1 ProKit.framework folder located in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

2. Download and install ProKit 5.0 from here: [support.apple.com]

3. Download and install ProKit 5.1 from here: [support.apple.com]

My software:
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics