recognizing firewire Canon GL1-mini DV

Posted by dbrmus 
recognizing firewire Canon GL1-mini DV
November 13, 2010 11:26AM
Hi:

I am trying to import video from a mini DV Canon GL1 but it is not recognized. Canon website has no useful information. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Daniel
Re: recognizing firewire Canon GL1-mini DV
November 13, 2010 11:32AM
Please give your full system specifications, what computer, what drives, what camera or deck, how everything's connected, what settings are on the media, what settings you're using in Final Cut, and finally what version of the software, of the OS, and of QuickTime you are using.

All the best,

Tom
November 13, 2010 11:47AM
Thanks Tom, and sorry about incomplete info.

Here it is:

iMac 10.6.2 Intel Core 2 Duo
FCP 7.0.1
Quicktime 10.0

Canon GL1- DV terminal IEEE 1394 (purchased 2001) to External Drive with that port chained to iMac (via firewire 800)

thanks for your help,
Daniel
November 13, 2010 11:52AM
Try using firewire basic. Also, try connecting the camera straight to your Mac with a FW400-800 adapter.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 13, 2010 12:02PM
What strypes said. Canon cameras almost never can stand to be daisychained. You might have problem though because they also don't seem to like the adapter cables from 4-pin FW400 to 9-pin FW 800.

All the best,

Tom
November 13, 2010 12:59PM
Thanks, both of you. What a bummer.
best, Daniel
November 13, 2010 05:17PM
Daniel,

Although strypes and Tom are right, before you go and buy a firewire 400/800 adapter I'd like to know: Did you restart FCP after plugging the camera to the external hard drive and turned it on?
I use a GL-1 hooked to an external all the time without a problem. Of course, some FW drives are not that good at daisychaining.
Good luck.

Alberto
November 13, 2010 05:42PM
Alberto's point is a good one. Exhaust the options before you start spending money on new equipment. You should also try just taking the drive out of the connection. Connect the camera to the CPU directly and then launch FCP with FireWire basic selected. If that works, capture to an internal drive for now, check the clips to make sure they're okay. If that works, copy the clips to the external drive then.

By the way, how do those 4-pin-to-9-pin adapter cables (ie. for connecting FireWire 800 ports to 4-pin FireWire devices like cameras and decks) fare in a Log and Capture situation?

www.derekmok.com
November 13, 2010 09:46PM
I'd also like to suggest getting a good Powered FireWire Hub so it's not daisy chained although I have a GL2 I used to use it on my MacBook through Mike Hortons Lacie Drive (Bus Powered) through Vee Scope Live and back and it always worked fine. Just a thought.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics