file formats, codecs and confusion.

Posted by simonw 
file formats, codecs and confusion.
November 30, 2010 04:17PM
Hi,

Can anyone let me know how to deal with .MTS files (MPEG Transport Stream)?
In their current state the latest final cut won't open them.
It seems that square 5's mpeg streamclip won't do it.
I'm guessing they have to be converted in other software but which software and is there a free one out there?
I know this is slightly wider than strictly a final cut question but fcp's what I use to edit and going for an alternative nle is out of the question.

Thanks.

Simon
Re: file formats, codecs and confusion.
November 30, 2010 04:34PM
If you shot HDV on the Sony cameras, you need to download the log and transfer plugin from Sony. And ingest it through l&t. If you're on Snow Leopard, you may need a certain mpeg 2 component. The squared 5 website has more details.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 30, 2010 04:37PM
What format did you shoot on?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 01, 2010 08:54AM
Hi,

Thanks for previous answers.
I was handed dvds with the .MTS files on them. I didn't shoot it.
I think it was shot HD, not Hdv, on a canon but I don't know which.
I also think I just have to convert them in something like (but not) mpeg streamclip.
Later, from final cut, they will export as a wide variety of files.
I just have to find a converter that will support .mts as a source file in the first place, to make them into something that final cut will edit.
December 01, 2010 10:25AM
>I think it was shot HD, not Hdv

It would either be hdv or avchd. Only those two formats use that wrapper, from what I know. Mpeg streamclip worked for me when some guy messed up the folder structure, but as I said, you need to know what you are working with and if you are on SL, read the notice on the squared 5 webpage.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 01, 2010 02:16PM
Must be AVCHD. I have the mpeg 2 component referred to on the Squared 5 site.. It seems that whatever I'm dealing with can be converted by xilisoft hd video converter. Not found any other one that will do the job on this collection of .mts files. Looks like I'll buy it! But one of the goals here is to really learn about different compressions and formats. So more research.
Thanks for all the help.
December 01, 2010 02:55PM
Did you try ClipWrap?

All the best,

Tom
December 01, 2010 03:12PM
I use both ClipWrap and VoltaicHD to convert .mts files to .mov files in ProRes codecs for FCP. They are inexpensive programs. ClipWrap runs faster than VoltaicHD, but ClipWrap sometimes can't accomplish a conversion (because of its reliance on QuickTime). Then I use VoltaicHD. When recently I had .mts files somewhat slaughtered in an SD card rescue operation, VoltaicHD was essential for conversions.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics