Up Res from SD to HD Field Order Question

Posted by Gary Sumlak 
Up Res from SD to HD Field Order Question
December 08, 2010 06:09PM
I just finished a project which required up-ressing anamorphic SD video to HD 1920x1080i (square pixel).

We delivered the project as a self-contained Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) mov to the transfer house for transfer to HDCAM, but they tell us that the video is "lower field first" where they would normally expect "upper field first" for HD output.

If I just change the Field Dominance of the sequence to Upper, would that resolve the problem. If not, what would be the best method for dealing with this problem so that I can deliver the HD output that the transfer house expects?

The second item they asked about was a "Legalizer (if desired)" fee. Am I correct in assuming they mean making sure the levels are broadcast legal? Checking the sequence in FCP for legal levels shows they are all good, so do I need the "Legalizer" service?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
Re: Up Res from SD to HD Field Order Question
December 08, 2010 08:56PM
How did you perform this uprez?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 09, 2010 01:18AM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did you perform this uprez?

Created a new HD sequence [1920x1080, square pixel, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), 29.97]; copy and pasted anamorphic SD elements into HD sequence, and zoom and crop any 4x3 video to fill screen. Recreated color bars, slates and text elements at full HD resolution.

Anyway, the main thing I did not do when I created the HD sequence was I did not change the Field Dominance to Upper, but left it at the default of lower.

The video itself, is completely acceptable to the client. The main issue was brought up by the transfer shop with the field order.

I have re-render the HD timeline with field dominance to upper, and also verified that all levels are broadcast safe using FCP's Range Check feature.

Am I missing anything that needs to be done before post?

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
December 09, 2010 09:05AM
>Created a new HD sequence [1920x1080, square pixel, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), 29.97]; copy and pasted anamorphic SD elements into HD sequence, and zoom and crop any 4x3 video to fill screen. Recreated color bars, slates and text elements at full HD resolution.

That is about the worst way you can upres footage. FCP does a horrible job of scaling, and as you noted, the field order is wrong. Compressor would be better. After Effects. Capturing via hardware capture card from the source tapes.

>The video itself, is completely acceptable to the client.

Well then...what can I say?

>I have re-render the HD timeline with field dominance to upper, and also verified that all levels are broadcast safe using FCP's Range Check feature.

Yup.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics