Prores Changes Colour

Posted by gmc205 
Prores Changes Colour
December 14, 2010 04:48PM
Hi guys,

I was following Ken Stone's guide for HD timeline to SD dvd -

[www.kenstone.net]

and I found that when I exported my sequence using the Prores Codec, that it changed the colour of my sequence, adding a reddish hue/ saturation to it. On my search round the web there seems to be quite a few people with this issue, but is there any fix for it ?

Thanks,

Gavin

(I am on a Macbook Pro, FCP 6.0.5, and the footage was shot on a Sony Z1, 1080i 50, edited in an HDV sequence)
Re: Prores Changes Colour
December 15, 2010 09:29AM
How are you looking at the clip? In QT 7 or QT X?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 15, 2010 02:11PM
Quicktime 10.0
December 15, 2010 02:34PM
QT 10 (QT X) is the worse thing Apple has unleashed to the Apple audience. It is NOT ready for release...and why it is on these systems...really only for consumers, but still...not ready.

Look in your UTILITIES folder for QT 7. Move that into the APPLICATIONS folder. Right-click on QTX and COMPRESS it. Then trash the app. This way you still have it, but it won't be available as an application, and any QT file will default open with QT7.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2010 02:36PM
I don't think you should remove the app. It's easier and safer to just use the Get Info dialog to set all QuickTime movies to open with QuickTime 7 Player.

(although for some reason if you set a WMV to open in QuickTime Player 7, Flip4Mac keeps changing it back to QT X).

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
December 15, 2010 02:37PM
gmc205
and I found that when I exported my sequence using the Prores Codec, that it changed the colour of my sequence, adding a reddish hue/ saturation to it. On my search round the web there seems to be quite a few people with this issue, but is there any fix for it ?

Gavin,

There are a couple of things (at least) involved. First and foremost is that your computer monitor is never going to be truly accurate in previewing video. It can be quite close with some effort and knowledge, but it's not the same as previewing video on an properly configured and calibrated external "broadcast video monitor."

That said, QuickTime 10 Player uses the ColorSync (Mac OS X color management system) monitor profile information to determine how to display media. If you are using an auto-generated monitor profile and not one you customized or created with a SW or HW calibration tool, then your "color setup" can be off significantly (from the ideal). Also, Final Cut Pro doesn't use ColorSync for displaying video. FCP tries to approximate a display with gamma of 2.2 (in an attempt to emulate an external broadcast monitor). What you see in the FCP Canvas and Viewer is affected by your monitor's settings (even though FCP doesn't use information in ColorSync profiles). The quality of your computer monitor and the graphics drivers can also have an affect on what you see.

So, video in FCP and QuickTime X Player won't look the same. If you install the optional QuickTime 7.6 package (on the Snow Leopard installation DVD or downloadable from Apple), and you turn on "FCS compatibility" in the QT Player 7 preferences, you'll get the same look (or very close) as you do in FCP. So, it is very unlikely that ProRes itself is changing the actual values of the video. It's most likely a display issue.

As an aside, you may want to consider editing your HDV clips into a ProRes 422 sequence (set up for full width frame sizes). You'll get better looking text and images on export (particularly anywhere you use filters, color correction, etc.).

Display issues can be one of the most confusing technical things in using video on computers...

-Dave
December 15, 2010 02:38PM
Apple told me to ZIP the app, and trash it. WOrks fine for me. But then again, I'm special, aren't i?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2010 06:06PM
Thanks for all your advice guys, I appreciate your time. I'll download Quicktime 7.6. Cheers
December 15, 2010 06:38PM
Hi, just a Quick one D-Mac, Do i need to uninstall Quicktime player X, or is it ok to install 7.6 alongside it ?

Also, I would like to go the whole pro-res route but I was in a rush and wasnt sure of the exact workflow. It takes up a lot of hard drive space though, right ?

Thanks,

Gavin
December 15, 2010 06:47PM
gmc205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, just a Quick one D-Mac, Do i need to uninstall
> Quicktime player X, or is it ok to install 7.6
> alongside it ?

You can't uninstall it. But the two players will work side-by-side. I wrote up an FAQ recently to clear up a lot of confusion people had about QuickTime X, which you may find useful:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
December 15, 2010 07:24PM
It's also possible to just use Open With to force all QuickTime movies to open with QuickTime Player 7 instead of QuickTime X. I first spotted this problem months ago before I knew about the ZIP trick, and set the movie files to open with QuickTime 7. Works just fine. The important thing is to know about the difference. Once you do, the QuickTime X interface sticks out like a sore thumb and you should recognize it on sight.

www.derekmok.com
December 15, 2010 07:34PM
gmc205 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I would like to go the whole pro-res route
> but I was in a rush and wasnt sure of the exact
> workflow. It takes up a lot of hard drive space
> though, right ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gavin

Gavin,

If you just use ProRes sequences/timelines in your project (dropping in HDV clips, or whatever), you only use disk space at the "ProRes rate" for rendered portions of your sequence. So, if you sequence is say 20 min., but you have 20 hours of HDV footage, your ProRes storage requirement and use will only be for the 20 min. sequence. Hopefully, what I've written make sense...
winking smiley

-Dave
December 16, 2010 04:06AM
Ah right .... Okay, thanks guys
December 16, 2010 03:15PM
Hi,

The color change issue was helped a little by installing Quicktime 7.6 and going into the preferences, and checking "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatability" . Using this setup, the colors are closer to the edit, but still have a slightly red/ orange tint which is a bit annoying.

Anyway, the reason, I was using the Prores codec to export was in an effort to resolve an annoying problem. I had these strange horizontal stationary lines appearing in white skies, and certain bright white backgrounds. I thought it was a fields issue but after a process of elimination I realized it was the Broadcast safe filter (set to 100) that was creating these lines; everything would be fine on the QT export from the timeline (no lines in the resulting QT Movie file) however once put through compressor, the lines would appear in the m2v file in white skies etc. (essentially superwhites).

I noticed by exporting with the Prores 422 codec and then putting it through compressor, the lines would be completely gone - perfect ! However Prores, unfortunately IS changing the color of my already graded footage. So I'm left with the dilemma - export without Broadcast Safe (is this wise? I have superwhites), or export with Prores and have my colors changed. Delivery format is DVD by the way.

If anyone has ever has these strange white lines appearing in white skies etc, Id really appreciate your advice on the issue; Ive been trying to resolve it for days now.

The lines were not in the source footage which was shot on a Z1, 1080i 50.

Thanks
December 16, 2010 05:25PM
gmc205
The color change issue was helped a little by installing Quicktime 7.6 and going into the preferences, and checking "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatability" . Using this setup, the colors are closer to the edit, but still have a slightly red/ orange tint which is a bit annoying.

The difference between having the compatibility setting on or off in QT 7.6 Player should be a slight gamma/contrast and saturation change. The red/orange tint may be indicative of using the Apple-default ColorSync monitor profile, or just not having your computer monitor properly calibrated. A properly calibrated computer monitor should make the difference between how things look in FCP and QT 7.6 Player ( w/compatibility "on" ) fairly slight.

How are you viewing your video in FCP and QT 7.6 Player? If you aren't using a properly setup and calibrated external broadcast monitor, you aren't seeing "apples and apples."

gmc205
I noticed by exporting with the Prores 422 codec and then putting it through compressor, the lines would be completely gone - perfect ! However Prores, unfortunately IS changing the color of my already graded footage. So I'm left with the dilemma - export without Broadcast Safe (is this wise? I have superwhites), or export with Prores and have my colors changed. Delivery format is DVD by the way.

Again, even with the compatibility turned on in QT 7.6 Player, it isn't real accurate to try to compare video in a QT 7.6 Player window to that in the FCP Viewer or Canvas on your computer monitor (as I mentioned above, the calibration of your computer monitor may still affect things).

Open your exported ProRes file back in FCP. Load the ProRes clip into your timeline on the track above your final rendered set of clips. Right-click on the newly added ProRes clip (in your sequence) and choose composite mode to be Difference. Render your timeline, or just a portion, for comparison. When you play back the rendered composite timeline, or scrub through it, you should just see black, which means that the images are the same in your original sequence and in the file you exported (and brought back into FCP).

I just did a quick test of exactly this (HDV timeline exported as a self-contained QT ProRes 422 file and re-imported and composited). There was no color shift (the composited image was black). My source footage was HDV 1080i60 from an HVR-Z1U camcorder and contained an outdoor scene with a person, trees, and sky.

You should consider editing your piece in a ProRes 422 sequence (if you have been using an HDV setup), with a full-raster frame size. Your rendered timeline (with color correction, text, etc.) will look much better on export.

-Dave
December 17, 2010 05:41AM
Okay, thanks a lot for your help Dmac, I appreciate your time. Yes, you're right I will have to edit in Prores 422. When you say full raster frame size is that default in Prores ? I take it you've never heard of the strange lines effect i've been having ? -

Anyway, the reason, I was using the Prores codec to export was in an effort to resolve an annoying problem. I had these strange horizontal stationary lines appearing in white skies, and certain bright white backgrounds. I thought it was a fields issue but after a process of elimination I realized it was the Broadcast safe filter (set to 100) that was creating these lines; everything would be fine on the QT export from the timeline (no lines in the resulting QT Movie file) however once put through compressor, the lines would appear in the m2v file in white skies etc. (essentially superwhites).

December 17, 2010 09:16AM
>(although for some reason if you set a WMV to open in QuickTime Player 7, Flip4Mac keeps
>changing it back to QT X).

Not here it doesn't. I'm on 10.6.4.

Hmm. Have you done that, Shane? I was wondering about the apps/scripts that call for QuickTime. In SL, QuickTime pro is called by QuickTime 7, while QuickTime refers to QuickTime refers to QuickTime X.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics