OT: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB jumper question

Posted by RJ 
RJ
OT: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB jumper question
December 16, 2010 09:26AM
Hi,

I'm putting a Seagate 7200.11 1TB SATA drive into one of the sleds in my "early 2008" MacPro. The drive has a jumper on it and I've forgotten whether that should stay on or come off.

On = "Limit to 1.5 Gb/s Operation" and Off = "3 Gb/s Operation."

Can somebody tell me what's right for installing in my MacPro and alternatively if I put it into an external firewire enclosure?

Much thanks,

-Russ
Re: OT: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB jumper question
December 16, 2010 09:40AM
I personally would contact Seagate Tech Support:

[www.seagate.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 16, 2010 10:22AM
I would think you would want the "3 GB/s Operation"? All my Seagate drives have no jumpers on.
RJ
December 16, 2010 11:57AM
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I downloaded the installation manual from Seagate and the configuration notes indicate that it should be off and if the drive doesn't load then the cpu's motherboard needs the jumper to be present. I've used this drive for a year in a firewire enclosure as my local network Time Machine drive with no trouble. When I put it in the MacPro it started to act flakey and it would take Disk Utility 15 minutes to repair it - repeatedly. That's why I started wondering if the jumper should be on. At this point, it seems clear the drive is going bad.

Thanks again for the kind replies.

-Russ
December 16, 2010 01:56PM
A program like "DiskWarrior" can determine if your drive is going bad. If the drive is questionable, get rid of it!
RJ
December 16, 2010 05:20PM
It's in the garbage. After whacking it with a hammer that is, since it had backup data on it from all my machines. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics