Sync problem

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
Sync problem
January 05, 2011 10:43AM
I shot a piano player with Canon 5d Mark II in PAL 25 with a microphone going into the camera. I also miked the piano with a Zoom 4n. Now I am having trouble synching the two. It looks like they were both shot at Audio Rate of 48.0 KHz, but the in camera was at Audio Format of 16-bit Integer and the Zoom was set at 24-bit Integer. A soundman friend said that I need a program to set the Zoom's sound to 25 frame rate, but he didn't know a Mac program for this...ANy other ideas of what the problem was, or if this is the right solution and a program that can fix it? THanks.
Re: Sync problem
January 05, 2011 10:49AM
January 05, 2011 10:50AM
But make sure you duplicate your audio before using this, as it rewrites the headers on the audio files.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 05, 2011 11:45AM
Audio doesn't have a frame rate. It's associated timecode track has a frame rate though.

You haven't said what the problem is. Does it sync up at the beginning and then drift out of sync?
Having different sample bit depths (16 vs 24) won't affect sync directly but it could affect FCP playback. FCP can get finicky if the audio formats aren't the same. So if you have the video files and their associated audio mixed with WAV files and two different bit depths you might have problems.

FCP assumes the frame rate of imported audio (that doesn't have a timecode track already) to be the same as the capture/sequence preset. You have to get the project set up and then import the audio.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 05, 2011 11:53AM
Yes, it started out ok then drifts. I noticed my presets were in NTSC, though, which maybe the problem....
January 05, 2011 12:11PM
If you shot PAL and you're sequence preset is NTSC, that could be a problem.

Here's a link Frank Nolan posted in response to one of my questions...

Fixing FCP Assets
[library.creativecow.net]

If you're close to finished with your project, it could save you a lot of time.
January 05, 2011 01:45PM
Thanks...Yes, the sequence presets was the problem! I did a new project, changed presets to PAL and brought in again. Everything synched OK now in PluralEyes...Thanks. (It was my first day on the project, so this was easiest fix)
January 07, 2011 10:15AM
Maybe this helps for the future.
I did an article on my website for external audio at he time FCP 5.1.2 was released. This covers a lot of handling of external BWAV audio. Even though we're now on FCP 7.x it's still true and might help to understand what's going on with audio.

[www.spherico.com]

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics