What is the equivalent effect in FCP?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
What is the equivalent effect in FCP?
January 05, 2011 09:33PM
Hi,

Does FCP have an effect that allows you to take an audio track that has been recoded on the left or right channel and replace it with the other channel?

For example, I have a track where a Boom and Lav were used, one on the left channel and one of the right channel. I'd like to replace the Lav channel with the Boom, in order to still have one stereo track but with the Boom on both the left and right channels.

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm transferring from Premiere to Final Cut and in Premiere they have a effect in the audio that is "Fill left or right", that allows what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks
Re: What is the equivalent effect in FCP?
January 05, 2011 09:40PM
You mean panning the boom to the middle and lowering the lav to null?
[EDIT]
You'll have to uncouple the tracks if they are linked stereo pairs to adjust the levels independently
[/EDIT]
I am curious what Premiere's "Fill Left or Right" actually does. Is it a macro or does it just dupe the track and pan it opposite?
[EDIT]
Hey google, thanks: [www.mediacollege.com]
[/EDIT]

BTW, two identical tracks is not stereo, it's two track mono. For that matter, a boom and a lav provide almost no stereo field image, assuming a standard boom scenario.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!

January 05, 2011 09:50PM
> I have a track where a Boom and Lav were used, one on the left channel and one of the right
> channel. I'd like to replace the Lav channel with the Boom

A bit of a waste of time. All you'll get is a slight increase in volume, and that's easier to achieve by deleting the unwanted lavalier track, then panning the mono boom track to the middle (CONTROL-.) and then adjusting the level. Add a Dynamics Processor or Gain filter if you still want more volume.

www.derekmok.com
January 06, 2011 07:07AM
Yeah, if your sequence is set to output stereo, all you have to do is lower the level on the unwanted track, then set the panning to centre on the useful track. It will output as 'stereo', meaning you'll have the same information on the left and right tracks.

March 25, 2011 08:17PM
I can't seem to get the tracks "uncoupled" which I assume means separating A1 and A2, which are currently linked.
March 25, 2011 08:24PM
Select the linked pair and press Option-L to delink them. Then you can select ecah side, pan or center each track separately and adjust gain.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 26, 2011 11:48AM
Also note, that when the audio tracks are no longer paired together, the "underline" under the file name will disappear. Then when you double click either of the tracks, you will see only one track in the viewer window. Then adjust the pan to make sure it has a value of "0" (zero) so that the audio will come out of both left and right channels.

Thanks
Gary Sumlak
thumbprints Multimedia Inc.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
[www.thumbprints.ca]

*** Superior Film Transfers at a Reasonable Price ***
March 26, 2011 08:35PM
i think that only happens when you Apple-L, which is to un-link the picture and audio elements.
Option -L will simply "un-stereo" the audio, while keeping picture & audio linked.

another way to adjust Pan is to select the audio, and use keyboard shortcuts:

Control , = Left
Control . = Centre
Control / = Right

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics