Monitor Recommendations needed

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Monitor Recommendations needed
January 06, 2011 07:05PM
Still on my 2002 23" HD Cinema Display Acylic and desperately need to get a new monitor. I don't want Apple's 27" glossy and I remember that there were a few Dell's that people were recommending awhile back. Thinking also of one of the higher resolution HP monitors as well but sure would appreciate your suggestions here.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Re: Monitor Recommendations needed
January 07, 2011 12:43AM
Computer Monitor HP 2475W 24" 1920x1200. Not Glossy. It's used in lots of edit rooms. B&H's Avid systems are set up with these.
[h10010.www1.hp.com]
January 07, 2011 11:11AM
Wouldn't a monitor with a 2560x 1600 resolution serve better in the editing bay? More costly but the Acylic I have now is also 1920x1200 so I don't see how I would get more out of the one you suggest.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 07, 2011 11:40AM
It depends on whether you want a dual monitor setup.
I have LP2475W and ACD 23" (aluminum) in a dual setup.
I can't help but think as dual 2560x1600 monitor setup would be large and in many cases the text tiny. Of course if you can manage that . . . Maybe you're thinking of single display but dual 1920x1200 is 3840x1200 and wider is more important than height for me. I'd think you'd get more useful space per dollar that way as well given the price of 2560x1600 monitors.
January 07, 2011 11:48AM
Thanks very much for the feedback. While I use an external monitor via the MXO2 box for CC, I only use a single computer monitor. Space is an issue for me, true, and I have no real need for a dual monitor system but was of the thought that the higher the resolution for a monitor when working in AE or FC would be an improvement over the 2002 Apple monitor I use now.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 07, 2011 11:49AM
I should mention some people like the Dell Ultra Sharp series as well. During my research I had mixed felling about the Dell monitors though. I wish I could remember the reasons.

On thing I do like about the HP LP2475W is that it has HDMI in as well with 1:1 pixel mapping. With the touch of a button on the monitor it goes from computer to MXO2 input with 1:1 pixel display. Of course there's some debate as to the color accuracy of the MXO2 setup but being able to do that is a nice convenience. I do calibrate my monitors with Sypder3 Elite first though.
January 07, 2011 11:51AM
Simultaneous posting. Seem the post I just made addressing this as you type. I use the LP2475W and toggle between dual monitor and MXO2.
January 08, 2011 06:20AM
Dell UltraSharp series. We've been running Dells for two or three years now as they look almost as good as the Apples (ACDs are still amazing) but they cost a lot less.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
January 09, 2011 10:34PM
The Dell U2410 is the current model of UltraSharp Dell variety. It's has a 1920 x 1200 pixel ratio.

-Andrew
January 10, 2011 04:57AM
What's wrong with the ACD 23"-- the tube failing?

You know what? If you have an output monitor which gives accurate color for grading, you can get away with a lowly 22" Acer X223W or two. They are antiglare hardcoat just like the old Apple displays, the color is reasonable and adjustable-- for 50,000:1 contrast ratio. You get a Millions of Colors palette and several resolutions to choose from. Just don't expect any two monitors to match exactly-- and be ready to return one if it shows a dead pixel or two!

Q/A is low-- that's what you pay for in Apple stuff. But I'm having a ball with two of these attached to the stock G120 card in my 2009 8-core, one through the 30.00 MinDisplayPort-to-DVI adapter. Gives me max 1680 X 1050 resolution on each, same as the old ACD 20". I especially appreciate the thin bezel on this model. They're still offered at between US$140 - 170 each.

This way, I can bide my time till Apple releases proper antiglare screens again. Or not. (I have a similar philosophy about using a cheap Boost mobile while waiting on Apple till Verizon gets the iPhone, which I hear is happening!!)

Do *not* attempt color correction on these without a live calibrated screen to reference, of course. But for sundry editing and client content review, they're working just fine, and they don't have to view my condo behind us while watching.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 10, 2011 07:09AM
early on there were a number of reports from disgruntled 24" Dell U2410 users regarding uneven lighting and pink casts ... the newer revision panels seem to have a better reputation as do the newer and higher res 27" Dell U2711
January 10, 2011 11:00AM
Actually Loren, nothing is wrong with my Acyrilic monitor and Ken Stone has convinced me to stay with it. I was under the mistaken believe that getting one of the newer monitors whose contrast ratio and resolution greater than 1920x1080 would make a big difference. Guess I was wrong.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 10, 2011 12:37PM
BTW if you need more space that's why I'd recommend simply adding a second monitor of similar resolution. Make sure the 2nd monitor supports HDMI which the LP2475W does (and I suspect the Dell UltraSharp may). This way you can toggle to the MXO2 to check output. Of course maybe you want output from MXO2 always on.
January 11, 2011 12:35AM
Steve writes-
[Actually Loren, nothing is wrong with my Acyrilic monitor and Ken Stone has convinced me to stay with it.]

Sure. My 20" acrylic is still chugging along, although I really wanted two 23" aluminum ACD's from Apple-- IMHO the finest display they ever made, and the MXO was optimized for those. So of course-- discontinue it! Only logical. You know, like abandoning MacWorld and killing that because "trade shows are irrelevant." You know, like CES... like antiglare... irrelevant.

(What focus problem?)

[ I was under the mistaken believe that getting one of the newer monitors whose contrast ratio and resolution greater than 1920x1080 would make a big difference.]

Never had a need for gargantuan displays like the 30", and I played with it enough to confirm it for myself. Two's 23" on the average workstation desktop is nirvana. Float them on VESA mounts for ultranirvana. So the Acers are a cheap stand-in.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 13, 2011 02:15PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I had been thinking of the HPZR30w 30" monitor because of its greater resolution but, maybe that is not really necessary. Right now I am using a Sony 32" Bravia as my external monitor coming out of the MXO2 box.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 13, 2011 02:29PM
Does it have various inputs including HDMI?
Since you're in a space limited situation as am I, I like having a 2nd monitor that I can toggle from computer to MXO2 out.
January 13, 2011 02:34PM
Here's the url
[h10010.www1.hp.com]

steve-sharksdelight
January 13, 2011 02:41PM
Only DisplayPort; DVI-D
So you'd need to keep an HDMI monitor for MXO2

The reason why I like the 75w
DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, Component Video, S-Video, and Composite Video
but they don't make a 30" version.
January 13, 2011 04:25PM
Craig,
Do you think the resolution differences between the HPL2475 and the 30" make much of a difference.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 13, 2011 06:14PM
"Right now I am using a Sony 32" Bravia as my external monitor coming out of the MXO2 box"

Hey Steve, If I may ask, what model Sony 32" Bravia are you using. I'm thinking of getting one to plug into my MXO2 mini.

Thanks,
January 13, 2011 06:52PM
Right now I am using the KDL XBR6 which I connect to the MXO2 via the MXOs HDMI out to the in of the Sony. The Apple Cinema Display uses a DVI to ADC adaptor. If I did get a new monitor to replace the ACD and it had HDMI out I could probably have it go straight from the monitor to the HDMI in on the Matrox and bypass the need for the DVI/ADC adaptor.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
January 14, 2011 01:23PM
30" will give you greater single monitor resolution but two 1920x1200 displays side by side will give you greater horizontal resolution.

In short, I think two 1920x1200 monitors in which one can also be switched to HDMI gives you maximum flexibility.
Personally I would not find a single 30" monitor with a 2nd HDMI only monitor for viewing video adequate for my needs. I like having a monitor that does double duty given my space considerations.

If space and budget were not a consideration I'd have two 30" monitors and then a 32" HDMI monitor (well if budget really wasn't an issue I'd have an HD-SDI monitor with Blue check).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics