WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)

Posted by Ben King 
Re: WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)
February 04, 2011 05:53PM
Ben King
So it really doesn't like the one form of PSD in 6.0.1+

At least for you... :-(

Photoshop allows a lot of metadata and other settings to be embedded into files. I am surprised that this doesn't cause more issues. This issue grows worse with each new version of Photoshop. I avoid using native Photoshop files whenever possible for this reason (and others).

I opened your text dumps of the files in BBEdit and did a file comparison. I am not sure but a few of the differences seem to relate to colors per pixel, color spaces, etc. (which may be linked to the alpha/transparency stuff). I don't know anywhere near enough about the inner workings of .psd files to say anything really constructive, or even coherent... winking smiley

At least you are able to workaround the issue, it seems... I wish I was able to replicate it (in order to help you out). Frustrating, for sure...

-Dave

P.S. - In case anyone is following this thread, I am not able to replicate the behavior Ben is reporting.
February 04, 2011 06:08PM
Yeah - the damn annoying thing is now I can't seem to re-create a new non-working one!!!! So I can't even find out what caused the issue in the first place to create so much extra code.

The new PSDs actually contain LESS metadata.

So for now I will reinstall the ProKit and test for other issues and can revert if it goes awol.

Thanks for looking man - I will have to see if the client issues are similar now and also the button overlay issue that a friend has when he installs 6.0.1 (not building the overlay response correctly on the final DVD menu) and lastly the crashing on opening may well be caused trying to load a previous project with a filetype that the ProKit no-longer supports.

If I get to installing a US version of the Mac OS then I'll feedback on that too.

But I still blame Apple for "fixing" something that didn't need changing! tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 04, 2011 06:15PM
Ben King
But I still blame Apple for "fixing" something that didn't need changing!

Sometimes, as a programmer you can't win...

I have seen first-hand how improvements to code can sometimes reveal problems that didn't previously exist (well, they did but the older code didn't reveal it).

I recall years ago that Apple warned developers for a few years about some pending minor changes to the OS, and that eventually things would "break" if the developers didn't update their own applications accordingly. Of course, the time came and things "broke" for a few applications, and people blamed Apple, at first...
(In one of these situations, Adobe was at fault.)

And, yes, I'd be the first to point a finger at Apple for their lazy programming in some cases, especially for apps like FCP that were "absorbed" into Apple. The pro apps shouldn't crash so much when encountering unexpected input, etc. They should provide good error messages and continue (or gracefully exit).

I'd still feel better if we were both able to replicate the same behavior... oh well...
(Damned computers)
winking smiley

-Dave
February 04, 2011 06:27PM
The PSD issue is not the only problem. I've seen several instances of DVDSP refusing to open at all. One on my personal kit, one on a macbook owned by someone else. Both of these were repaired by going back to Prokit 5.

The fact that a percentage of us, expressed as a ratio to all users of FCP/DVDSP, had issues seems to me like a problem. But if you want to install it, feel free.

February 07, 2011 06:58PM
The instructions in this link worked for me. Note that he actually says to download to ProKit 5.0.1. I think this is a typo and he meant ProKit 5.1.

It worked great. Now if Apple would get off it's ass and fix it.....

http://www.greensideproductions.com.au/2011/01/23/recovering-apple-pro-apps-from-prokit-6-0-1-update/
February 08, 2011 03:27AM
Fred - what issues were you having?

Both Dave and I identified the PSD issue that I experience with the 6.0.1+ update but I'd like to document the issues that others are having and see if we can't find a solution/work-around for some others.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 08, 2011 01:19PM
The problem I was having was that NONE of the FCS applications would start after the 10.6.6 install. I'm assuming that's the problem because after I rolled back to ProKit 5.1 and everything started working fine again. I want to let Apple know but finding someplace on their site to send a trouble report is next to impossible. I have saved the console hang system diagnostic reports and I would like to send them to Apple.

If I knew how to find out the date I did the Software update, I'd be able to narrow it down to EXACTLY that issue. Is there someplace that OSX logs when you do a software update?

Also If you know anyone at Apple that I could send these console hang system diagnostic reports to that would be great. Jeez, I've been all over the apple support site and haven't been able to find someplace/someone to send them to.

Thanx a lot Ben

best,

Fred
February 08, 2011 01:29PM
Fred,

Sorry to hear about your trouble with FCS.

If you launch Software Update (System Preferences), click on the righthand tab "Installed Software" and it should list the date of your 10.6.6 update.

Did you use Software Update to update to 10.6.6 or did you download and use the Combo Update Installer? Very often, using the Combo updater does a better job than applying the updates via Software Update (even though it's often a large download).

Fee free to post the Console logs/reports somewhere and provide a link here, so that we can take a look. Since this issue isn't affecting everyone, there may be something we can figure out that is particular to the systems that are affected.

-Dave
February 08, 2011 01:52PM
Fred, you can submit them here:
[bugreport.apple.com]

You'll need a developer account but this is free to sign up for.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 08, 2011 02:27PM
OK. What I find VERY strange is that I used (I checked the date on the saved file) FCS AFTER the 10.6.6 Update. Grrrrrrr.

Then why did ROLLING back the update fix it?

Here is log of my installations.
Installed Prokit along with the Java Update on 10/25/10
Installed 10.6.5 on 11/12/10
Installed 10.6.6 on 01/06/11

I successfully used and saved a file from FCP on 1/10/11

The only thing I installe AFTER 01/10/11 from Apple was
iTunes 10.1.2
iDVD 7.1.1

Is it possible that ANOTHER component that we all have in common is breaking FCS?

Very strange.

You can download the hang logs in a zip file from this URL

http://files.me.com/fredfx/4trhcj

This is VERY strange indeed. The only other thing that I installed AFTER 01/10/11 that may
have had an effect on FCS was a free FX Factory Plug in and the FX Factory application. I've since uninstalled it.

Jeez....wtf do we do? It seems like Apple isn't VERY responsive for this one.

best,

Fred
February 08, 2011 03:13PM
Fred,

Thanks for taking the time to report back on the issue.

The ProKit update you installed on 25 Oct. was 6.0.1. Interesting.

You then installed OS X 10.6.6 (which contains ProKit 6.0.2) and used FCP a few days later.

So, it seems that you were able to use FCS with ProKit 6.0.1 and ProKit 6.0.2 until yesterday... hmm...

If you hadn't reverted back to ProKit 5.1, after looking at a few of your log files, I would have suggested that you create a new user account and log into that account, then try things out. The reason for this is that in your log files there are a ton of 3rd party applications listed, hardware drivers (tablet and Shuttle Pro), etc. When testing, you want to disconnect everything but a keyboard and mouse, and not load a lot of extra apps and utilities and startup items.

It is likely that something else was active on your system, causing the crash. It may be that some of the code that the newer ProKit versions are loading is getting corrupted by some utility, hardware driver, bad font... who knows what...

If you decide to test your setup, I would suggest using the 10.6.6 Combo Update (manual download from Apple Support) instead of using Software Update. I would also repair permissions, check fonts in Font Book, run disk repair on your startup drive, delete font and other cache files, etc. (standard OS troubleshooting things). You may even try resetting your PRAM and SMC.

I wonder if some app people have in common, or tablet, or something else is triggering this behavior?

I have been running FCP daily on my test Mac Pro (OS X 10.6.6 and FCP 7.0.3) since the OS update and haven't experienced any problems (fingers crossed). But, my test machine has few 3rd party utilities and hardware (only a video I/O card and a eSATA host adapter).

This is definitely frustrating.

-Dave
March 04, 2011 03:56PM
I tried your instructions (the 17 points), but point #13 only created an error message. Your instruction:

tar xfz ../Archive.pax.gz

is obviously wrong. What should it be?
Re: Warning : ProKit 6.0.1 update. Do not install.
March 05, 2011 09:06AM
I tried this method (Jude Cotter's), but I wasn't able to install ProKit 5.1 (the install button was greyed out). So I installed ProKit 5 and then ProKit 6.0.1. After that, FCP started up. However, Motion would NOT start, and LogicPro would NOT start.

Hmmm. I don't like this, especially when I know that Apple doesn't have a fix.
March 20, 2011 01:16AM
Hey Guys,

I just signed up so I could let you know how I fixed my problem because I have lost a weekend of work because of this.

Just like many when ever I clicked on a FCS program the icon would bounce in the dock but nothing would happen.

All I did was navigated to System/Library/PrivateFrameworks and found the ProKit.framework. Now I don't know which bit of the next part helped but I'll go through it all.

Right click and go Compress "ProKit.framework"

Then right click and go "Move to Trash"

Now this is where the other sites are saying to download an older version etc but all I did was go to the trash, right click on the ProKit.framework folder and select Put Back.

Don't ask me how this fixed it (I know I haven't really done anything?!) and it may only be for me but all my programs are working again so if even one person can fix theirs through these simple steps then it was worth mentioning.

Hope it helps!
March 20, 2011 01:43PM
Cinetrade
Now this is where the other sites are saying to download an older version but when I got to this stage I realised it was a etc but all I did was go to the trash, right click on the ProKit.framework folder and select Put Back.

Don't ask me how this fixed it (I know I haven't really done anything?!) and it may only be for me but all my programs are working again so if even one person can fix theirs through these simple steps then it was worth mentioning.

Hope it helps!

This is another case where the ProKit framework doesn't seem to be the direct cause of the problems people are having. I suspect it contributes to, or is a partial cause/trigger, for some issues. It'd be nice to have a survey for this to see if it's related to HW.

The OS X 10.6.7 update will be out soon. We'll have to see if there is a newer ProKit version included, or other changes to the OS that help for those experiencing the issue.

I still believe that it is a user-specific issue and not widespread (I mean, we haven't had dozens of people posting about it here, or on Apple's website... that doesn't mean it's not true or is true... too small of a sample size, and not enough info about each case to know the cause). It's still frustrating for some of us, no doubt.

-----

For anyone reading this thread, the best advice is to never install any updates to your system during a project. And, when you do plan to install any update (OS or FCS), back up your system and give yourself some time to work out any issues. Then, before and after installing any updates, go through all of the normal OS X maintenance activities. If you are familiar with these activities, you need to learn about them. Editing systems tax OS X harder than almost any other usage, so you need to learn a bit about proper maintenance or hire someone to do it for you. This isn't a simple "black box."

Then, if you do have issues, you'll be able to follow the instructions here and revert to earlier versions of ProKit, etc. (not that this is a statement saying that ProKit is the clear cause of people's problems --- e.g., I have not had any issues on 3 new systems with any of the updates).

So, the best advice is to look before you leap...
winking smiley

-Dave
March 22, 2011 12:19AM
Well, we can update this to OS X 10.6.7, which contains the same version of ProKit (6.0.2) (at least in the combo updater I checked).
March 29, 2011 10:18PM
OK. So I have just gone through installing all of Snow Leopard, FCS3, and Logic9.
OS X is 10.6.7. Ran the updates and, because I have a laptop that has to go through this soon, downloaded all the needed updates. The only one I am trepidatious of running is ProApplicationsUpdate2010-02.

I can't tell from reading through this thread which particular update was the one that caused the problems and whether I am out of the woods or about to walk into them.

Is everyone on 10.6.7 fully updated or are there people still running the old 5.x pro kit?

Suggestions?

(And yes I know it's a little late to be upgrading but I am taking one gig where FCP7 was necessary and another where Logic 9 was needed and it seemed silly to be holding back much longer)
BTW Burning all the Logic 9 DVD's to disk images on a 32GB USB stick on the laptop while I installed the whole FCS package on the MacPro made the Logic install super easy. Mount the images all at once and leave it, no switching disks.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 29, 2011 11:09PM
Andrew Kines
OK. So I have just gone through installing all of Snow Leopard, FCS3, and Logic9.
OS X is 10.6.7. Ran the updates and, because I have a laptop that has to go through this soon, downloaded all the needed updates. The only one I am trepidatious of running is ProApplicationsUpdate2010-02.

FYI, the Pro Applications Update 2010-02 doesn't contain ProKit.

Andrew Kines
I can't tell from reading through this thread which particular update was the one that caused the problems and whether I am out of the woods or about to walk into them.

I believe it was a separate ProKit 6.0.1 update that triggered some problems for some people.

I've never had any problems with any of the updates (FCS 3, Mac OS X 10.6.x).

Andrew Kines
Is everyone on 10.6.7 fully updated or are there people still running the old 5.x pro kit?

Suggestions?

Mac OS X 10.6.7 does contain ProKit 6.0.2 (as did an earlier update). Some people are having issues with PostScript-variant OpenType fonts and Mac OS X 10.6.7, but many have been resolved by various font management/maintenance actions (dealing with duplicate fonts, deleting font cache files).

-Dave
March 29, 2011 11:21PM
Cool. Thanks D-Mac.
I am forging ahead with this install. If I was smarter I would dedicate one of those SATA drives/docks that are lying around as a disk image drive and put all the disk images on that and speed this whole process up if I have to do it again. FCS3, Logic 9, Komplete, Adobe = at least 15 disks:
Hey all you companies, sell me a USB key with your installers already on them. Puhleeese.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 29, 2011 11:29PM
Andrew Kines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool. Thanks D-Mac.
> I am forging ahead with this install. If I was
> smarter I would dedicate one of those SATA
> drives/docks that are lying around as a disk image
> drive and put all the disk images on that and
> speed this whole process up if I have to do it
> again. FCS3, Logic 9, Komplete, Adobe = at least
> 15 disks:
> Hey all you companies, sell me a USB key with your
> installers already on them. Puhleeese.

Andrew,

It's bit tedious to do, but I agree about making disk images. I do that regularly now. I seem to recall that my first FCS3 install from disc took over an hour. But, once I created disk images and used those, it took under 20 minutes for a full install. Good idea.

-Dave
June 03, 2011 04:13AM
I'm still running 10.6.2 and was thinking about updating the OS. However, things are running relatively smooth (maybe a little slow) so I don't want to update unless it's going to be a benefit to my system.

A search o 10.6.6 - 6.7, seems to be causing a bunch of headaches for users. Moreover, these updates don't seem to be offering much in the away of improved stability, speed, etc...

10.6.7 - Nothing too major ttp://support.apple.com/kb/DL1363.

10.6.6 - The big update is a Mac store app? No thanks [support.apple.com].

10.6.5 - offers a bunch of fixes but nothing I really use [support.apple.com].

Every update touts improved "stability, compatibility, and security", is anyone experiencing these benefits and with which update?

Thanks
June 04, 2011 03:00AM
Well I updated to 10.6.3, slowly but surely...
June 04, 2011 11:37AM
Joe Riggs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I updated to 10.6.3, slowly but surely...

When you do system updates (OS X), you may want to download and use the standalone combo updater. I wouldn't recommend the software update mechanism, nor any standalone incremental update. Combo updaters are much more robust.

-Dave

P.S. - As a purely anecdotal, unscientific, statistically insignificant, personal opinion (based on maybe a sample size of 10 or so users and their Macs), I haven't seen any issues with a properly maintained and configured system running any version of ProKit 6 or 7 (current version).

Anyone still running the FCS 2 suite (and FCP 6.0.x) probably shouldn't be running Snow Leopard. Tiger was the OS when FCS 2 came out and then Leopard followed (so Snow Leopard is two major OS versions newer than the code base, on which FCS 2 was originally developed). People run FCP 6.0.x with Snow Leopard but I have noticed that these are the people running into the most issues (especially when using third-party I/O cards and drivers).

My 2d's worth... and probably not even worth that much...
;-)
June 05, 2011 12:38AM
I updated to 10.6.5 and now my 2nd monitor flickers, this is a known issue that is supposedly fixed in the 10.6.6 update...they get you every time.
October 19, 2011 01:17AM
Then swapped filenames so that the non-working was being linked and DVD SP came up with this (in 6.0.1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics