WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)

Posted by Ben King 
WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)
January 10, 2011 04:52AM
Recently Apple decided to include the 6.0.2 ProKit update as part of the new release of Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

If like myself and many others, you have issues with any of the ProApps after updating the ProKit to 6.0.1 and/or Mac OSX 10.6.6 then you might need to download and install a copy of ProKit 5.1.

Jon Chappell has written up the process here: [www.digitalrebellion.com]

Apple have no idea what is causing the problems and so don't expect a fix anytime soon. But please report any bugs you find directly to Apple via the relevant App menu "Report Bugs to Apple..." or if you are a developer via the Apple Developers site.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.1)
January 10, 2011 10:24AM
Anyone who is having trouble with this particular version of ProKit, or earlier ones like 6.0.1, should be able to clearly document their issues, in order to help others. Reporting this information to Apple is quite helpful, as well.

In fact, in order to demonstrate that this isn't a rare occurrence, people experiencing problems should run through a standard set of general OS X troubleshooting procedures (repair permissions, delete preferences, log in as another user, clean font caches, run disk repair in Disk Utility, etc.). Then, they should clearly document, step-by-step, how the issues happen, and provide sample media so that someone else can repeat the issue. This will help determine if the issue is isolated, or not, and perhaps help resolve or work around the issue for those having problems, or provide Apple with help in figuring out how to fix this.

-Dave
Re: WARNING: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)
January 15, 2011 07:25PM
I guess upgrading to Snow Leopard ain't such a grand idea after all, huh Ben?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Warning : ProKit 6.0.1 update. Do not install.
November 24, 2010 06:11PM
The Prokit 6.0.1 update is causing fatal crashes with FCS applications. If you read this before you've pushed the 'update software' button, don't install it.

If you have installed it, you can possibly recover by uninstalling and re-instating the old version, but this does not work in all cases, possibly related to other updates already applied.

Re: Warning : ProKit 6.0.1 update. Do not install.
November 24, 2010 11:32PM
First I have heard of this. Anyone else having issues with this? Is there an official announcement anywhere on this?

November 24, 2010 11:47PM
Perhaps we can put a sticky and the fix, like what we did during the Seagate-gate.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 25, 2010 06:48AM
This is a sticky, and there's no fix at my end yet, although many are getting good results by doing this

(via Jon Chappell)

Someone commented on my blog post with the following steps that worked for them:

1. Delete the 6.1 ProKit.framework folder located in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

2. Download and install ProKit 5.0 from here: [support.apple.com]

3. Download and install ProKit 5.1 from here: [support.apple.com]

and we've been discussing it for a while here LAFCPUG

I've seen two incidences personally, and I know Ben had a hit too.

November 25, 2010 07:05AM
Ben just gave me a copy of ProKit that worked for me on 10.6.5, which, very yay. Here's the workflow that dug me out:

Make a backup of the old ProKit.framework folder in Mac HDD>System>Library>PrivateFrameworks>

Download and unzip this one that I'm running on 10.6.5: (I'll let Ben link to the correct file here so he doesn't get too much traffic on his webtubes)

Then replace it with the one that doesn't work.

Then restart

Then repair disk permissions

Then restart

I did every step, dunno if the restarts were even required and don't care. It works again.

November 25, 2010 10:18AM
grafixjoe, lots of people are having problems:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

And here's my solution:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
November 25, 2010 10:57AM
Awesome...thanks for the warning!!

November 25, 2010 02:40PM
>This is a sticky, and there's no fix at my end yet

Okay, I didn't see it this morning, as I was responding to the mails through my phone.

Just wondering, have you considered doing a clone and a fresh re-installation of your system drive? Painful as it seems, you will probably spend less time re-installing than trying to fix the problem. Not sure if the prokit update breaks fresh FCP installations.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 25, 2010 06:16PM
I had another drive with a fresh system on it that I was working on while trying to resolve the original problem, so I was OK, just missing all the little add-ons you accumulate over time to make things work the way you want them to. I do love that the Mac Pros allow the four drives and swapping them in and out is so easy.

December 15, 2010 02:11PM
It takes me ages to getting round to installing updates, plus i never trust them these days until you guys have done them months before and said they're ok.

Just read this and am glad.

Love the Apple write up:

This ProKit Update fixes issues with user interface software that is shared by Apple?s professional applications. The issues addressed include:

This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Final Cut Express, Soundtrack, Logic Studio, Logic Pro, MainStage, WaveBurner and Logic Express.

Recommended if you like troubleshooting and trying to rectify Apple's c*** ups, is that?

To be hoest, I am very grateful for the FCP minds and energy that comes as a part of this website. As far as Apple's pro apps go, you kind of put Apple to shame.

Hurrah you.
December 16, 2010 11:25AM
Has this been addresses by Apple at all? Have they released a newer ProKit without these problems? I'm getting ready to upgrade from Studio 1 to current, what do I do about Software Update when I try to bring it all up to current versions?

Scott
December 16, 2010 11:35AM
Just set Software Update to ignore ProKit 6.0.1 and download ProKit 5.1 manually here:
[support.apple.com]

Apple has made no effort to fix this yet.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 04, 2011 09:37AM
something has no been writen there.

if you copy "somebody else" ProKit ... repair your permissions as soon, as it is done
January 16, 2011 12:52PM
Are you sure that OS X 10.6.6 is installing ProKit 6.0.1 / 6.0.2? I just checked and I have OS X 10.6.6 and ProKit 5.1 (I didn't downgrade).

My software:
More tools...
January 16, 2011 11:35PM
updated to 10.6.6 on Jan 7th, using regular updater in Software Update (not downloaded combo update) - from receipts thats :
com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.6.6.patch

then (for me) Pro Applications Update 2010-02 appeared in Software Update on Jan 14th :
com.apple.pkg.AppleHDVCodec
com.apple.pkg.PAU2010-02SnowLeopardStat
com.apple.pkg.Uncompressed422
January 23, 2011 01:02AM
Hi All - first post here.

I have just been hit with this when I did a (rather lengthy) software update. I got Logic Pro 9.1.3, Mac OS 10.6.6, Pro Kit 6.0.1 and a very big headache.

Anyway, I worked out a workaround which doesn't require an install of Prokit 5.0 which I documented here...

http://www.greensideproductions.com.au/2011/01/23/recovering-apple-pro-apps-from-prokit-6-0-1-update/

Now I am sure that this isn't the end of the story, but it at least got me from a place where I was unable to even launch any of these "pro" apps to a place where I could at least start work again. Would appreciate any further feedback on this to maybe get the solution to a point where it is palatable.

cheers,

Mark Edwards
Greenside Productions
February 03, 2011 04:10PM
I have been using the current versions of the FCS apps, along with OS X 10.6.6 for a couple of weeks now, without any of the issues reported here and elsewhere.

Has anyone who has experienced the "ProKit issue" done a clean install of OS X and FCS, with all updates, and then replicated the same issues?

I mention this only because some of the comments here imply that this issue is something that everything should be aware of, even though only a small number of people have reported the issue (here and elsewhere). The warning is useful, insomuch as any updates to OS X, Apple apps or any 3rd-party software should be carefully considered while a project is underway, but...

-Dave
February 04, 2011 01:57PM
Whilst it is a nice recommendation Dave - not many people have the time to do a completely clean re-install of the Mac OS and then all their apps especially if the issue eventually lies with another app or third party plug-in which they might actually need.

Anyway it is a completely moot point as I have a clean Mac OS on an external HDD for testing purposes and the same issue is there.

I mention this only because some of the comments here imply that this issue is something that everything should be aware of

Everyone should be aware of this and indeed ANY other possible issues with our choice of professional hardware/software so that we can mitigate any issues BEFORE they arise and figure out or indeed solve any issues through the community that we have here. It might annoy you that everyone is having problems that you don't and you might think that it is an isolated issue (which it is not) but the community works well because of this. Rather than simply dismissing it (which is worse than scaremongering) you should FULLY test your own setup and check that you can't replicate the multitude of errors reported and count yourself lucky if you find it works perfectly.

The issues exist SPECIFICALLY when ProKit 6.0.1 (or 6.0.2 via 10.6.6) is installed and NOT with the earlier versions - this is the issue.

If everything works without error then what do you blame? Certainly Apple changed some major things in the updates and yet only highlighted:

? Improves reliability for browsing iPhoto libraries in Aperture.
? Addresses cosmetic issue with appearance of disclosure triangles in Aperture.
? Fixes a problem in Logic Pro and MainStage where numeric parameters display incorrect information.

Now if that is all they fixed; why then did it break the FCS ProApps?

even though only a small number of people have reported the issue

Actually it is a massive issue spanning many users - and some users will not even be aware of the minor issues caused by the ProKit 6.0.1+

In my case all my Macs (MacPro 2008, iMac 2009 and MacBookPro 17" 2010 - both clean and filled with apps) exhibit EXACTLY the same issue when 6.0.1+ is installed of not being able to import Photoshop PSD files into DVDSP. It does however work with PNG.

After you try to import a PSD the error occurs; but then ANY asset (Video/Audio/Graphic) that you try to import brings up an "incompatible asset" error.

Apple say they cannot replicate the issue - sorry but I don't believe this - as I can replicate it on all 3 of Macs as mentioned (even clean OS) and also client and friend's Macs. I have tested it on 2008, 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros; in all I have tested on 10 separate systems - all with the same outcome and the likelihood of it being chance is pretty slim.

Put the old 5.1 framework back in - without a reboot and relaunch DVDSP and it works.

Whatever Apple did to affect the FCS suite within the update needs to be rectified.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 04, 2011 03:16PM
Ben,

I will just have to disagree with you (or not).

The reports are very sporadic. If we just look at the moderators here, for example, not all of them report the issue. If it was a clearcut situation, many more people would be able to replicate and confirm the issue. For example, the problem with line feed characters in exported XML files (for text generators) was something that everyone could replicate and confirm.

Why not post a copy of your PSD file, along with the exact steps taken to create the issue? I have a 2010 Mac Pro with a clean OS and FCS installation and haven't experience any of the issues reported. Now, I did skip the ProKit 6.0.1 update and went to Mac OS X 10.6.6. So, my situation is that of Apple, in that I haven't experienced any issues.

So, again, please post a test procedure along with sample media. It does you no harm to do so and can only help to further diagnose the issue. I am willing to run some tests.

And, just because I and others aren't having issues doesn't mean there is none. And, just because you have experienced issues doesn't mean it is a widespread issue. Our cases together don't comprise anywhere near a statistically significant sample size. Only Apple can know how many people are reporting this issue and whether it is significant, or not.

In my last paragraph of my previous post, you cherry-picked one of my comments and took it out of context. The sentence following the one you quoted does say that providing a notice of this potential issue is good for everyone. However, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough, the point is that saying that it is definitely an issue (similar to the text in XML issue) is a bit disingenuous and misleading, as it isn't something confirmed by Apple or everyone else.

Anyway, help us to help you... provide a test scenario and sample media. Running a few tests shouldn't take long, at all, probably no longer than when some of us help others...
winking smiley

-Dave
February 04, 2011 04:15PM
Sorry, in my annoyance I forgot to be more specific - in my case PSDs with transparency as Menu overlays.

Feel free to try Dave:

With 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 installed

Download this PSD: [www.loudandfast.co.uk]

1. Open DVD SP - doesn't matter what project standard NTSC or PAL SD

2. Import (any method) the PSD

3. If you get the error - try then importing any other asset.

Whilst some layered PSDs come in correctly if containing a background and overlay layer. The issue highlighted above means that some of my older projects with just the overlay layered PSD will not open.

Yet downgrading to 5.0.1 (swapping ProKit.framework folders) resolves the issue enabling opening of the projects and importing the PSDs.

February 04, 2011 04:49PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, in my annoyance I forgot to be more
> specific - in my case PSDs with transparency as
> Menu overlays.
>
> Feel free to try Dave:
>
> With 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 installed
>
> Download this PSD:
> [www.loudandfast.co.uk]
> sd.zip
>
> 1. Open DVD SP - doesn't matter what project
> standard NTSC or PAL SD
>
> 2. Import (any method) the PSD
>
> 3. If you get the error - try then importing any
> other asset.
>
> Whilst some layered PSDs come in correctly if
> containing a background and overlay layer. The
> issue highlighted above means that some of my
> older projects with just the overlay layered PSD
> will not open.
>
> Yet downgrading to 5.0.1 (swapping
> ProKit.framework folders) resolves the issue
> enabling opening of the projects and importing the
> PSDs.

Ben,

Thanks for the sample .psd file.

I launched DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2 (OS X 10.6.6 via combo updater, all other updates, as well, running on a 2010 Mac Pro with an ATI 5870 display card) and imported your file using the "Import..." button in the Assets tab/window. It imported without error.

I then imported a bunch of random video, audio, and graphics files (.mov, .avi, .m2v, .ac3, and .png files), 9 files in total. No errors or crashing.

It only took a few minutes to test, so it wasn't any trouble for me to do...

-----

Feel free to create some other scenarios for me (and others) to test. Let me know if you want me to check other things, such as "Input Source Name" (flag in menu bar), fonts installed, etc. Something has to be triggering the behavior you're experiencing. I wonder if there could be something different in your language settings (British versus U.S. English, etc.), fonts, QuickTime components, etc.

-Dave
February 04, 2011 04:53PM
Update (Dave will like this!)

Been busy testing other options and work-arounds.

If I re-save the non-working PSDs (in 6.0.1) by transferring the layers to a new blank file then some of them work. (Simply re-saving does nothing).

The working and non-working files are identical in size and content and settings. Am trying to see if there is some other code that differs other than creation date.

So there is something in the PSD files causing the issue with 6.0.1 but why will the same files open fine in 5.0.1?

I will need to test the projects build and burn correctly with the ones that do import.

February 04, 2011 05:04PM

Something has to be triggering the behavior you're experiencing. I wonder if there could be something different in your language settings (British versus U.S. English, etc.), fonts, QuickTime components, etc.

Yeah not likely to be components - I tried it on the completely clean HDD again after your earlier post - the only things installed are Mac OS 10.6.6 and FCS3 - could be British issue but that will start me on the colonial conspiracy theory again...

BTW I tested the Clean system on the 3 Macs I have here: MacPro, iMac and MacBookPro to see again if hardware has any impact - and again nadda.

Am still looking at why some seemingly identical PSDs work or not.

Here's one I managed to get working via transferring the layers to a completely new file. [www.loudandfast.co.uk] see if you can spot the differences before me.

BTW thanks for taking the time to check - I might try reinstalling a US language version on the Clean HDD. It's worth a try.

February 04, 2011 05:13PM
I'll be done for spam in a moment!

There is a weird thing I have found. Under Get info...

The PSDs that don't work show up WITHOUT Alpha in the Mac OS

The PSDs that do work say YES they do have Alpha.

However both open in Photoshop with transparency.

Both open with 5.0.1 no errors with transparency.

This may well be the issue (that I and a lot of others are having). It doesn't explain the people having other issues with 6.0.1.

Going to why some are being saved without the Alpha flagged. Let me know if you find anything.

February 04, 2011 05:23PM
Ben King
Going to why some are being saved without the Alpha flagged. Let me know if you find anything.

I opened both files in Preview.app and I noticed that the one you said was working has a flag set for an alpha channel ( "Has Alpha: 1" ). The non-working one doesn't. Also, Preview shows that the working file has a DPI Width and DPI Height of 183, whereas the non-working one has 72 as the value (which shouldn't matter, as pixels are only relevant, but...).

The working file also displays transparency in Preview (and you can see two black rectangles towards the lower-left of the image. The non-working file shows up in Preview as solid white.

-----

Perhaps, the newer versions of ProKit/BrowserKit are less lenient/forgiving of file format quirks than 5.1 and earlier... ???

-Dave
February 04, 2011 05:30PM
Yep I see the same...

Also the RAW data is MASSIVELY different - yet both files are 82K

These are the RAW data as expressed in PS Info (Saved as Plain Text)

Working: [www.loudandfast.co.uk]

Non-working: [www.loudandfast.co.uk]

Now I need to try to figure out why so I can avoid it.

Perhaps, the newer versions of ProKit/BrowserKit are less lenient/forgiving of file format quirks than 5.1 and earlier... ???

We can definitely agree on that!

February 04, 2011 05:42PM
Ok so tried this:

Imported the working PSD.

Then swapped filenames so that the non-working was being linked and DVD SP came up with this (in 6.0.1)

Asset Refresh Problem
"/Volumes/RAID 6/Menu-PAL-D1-working.psd" no longer uses a supported graphic format. You must update the asset to a supported format before it can be used in this project.

So it really doesn't like the one form of PSD in 6.0.1+

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics