OT: "I The Pro Res Maker"

Posted by Kevin Monahan 
OT: "I The Pro Res Maker"
January 11, 2011 01:09PM

You guys should get a kick out of this one (language warning)

Keep in mind with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, you don't need to transcode to ProRes?just start cuttin'! ;-)

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Re: OT: "I The Pro Res Maker"
January 11, 2011 02:41PM
Be nice if this guy was in SF. We'd show it at the SuperMeet. Very cool.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 11, 2011 03:03PM

Keep in mind with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, you don't need to transcode to ProRes?just start cuttin'! ;-)

And then render at the end tongue sticking out smiley

Until we have true agnostic players and channels that playback movies wrappers with mixed codecs within a single file - all the boasting about mixed timelines means nada!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 11, 2011 03:12PM
Did anybody tell him that Pro Res 422 HQ might be overkill? tongue sticking out smiley
January 11, 2011 03:16PM
422 HQ overkill for a rap song? Not a chance. smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 11, 2011 03:56PM
He mentions ProRes 4444 too. And LT. And regular ProRes. He covers all the bases. Just leaves out Proxy.

He doesn't say that he converts the Canon footage to HQ...just that you have to.

Muther****er!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 11, 2011 04:20PM
Ben, you don't have to render unless you're going out to tape. You don't need to render when exporting and encoding digital files, which is what most of us do, usually.
January 11, 2011 04:53PM
Is this a sales pitch disguised as a tip? Kev...are you at it again?!

Seriously...I heard some very interesting stuff from my friend Crazy Bob Zelin the other day when he was at our studio...he seems to think Apple may abandon FCP soon. He thinks there are signs. (Apple giving up on FC Server for one). He made some very interesting points. I don't remember what they were, but they made me think about keeping my Premiere & Avid licenses up to date. Crazy Bob knows a lot of sh!t about what's going on in our industry. He always seems to be everywhere.

LOOK...THERE HE IS NOW!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 11, 2011 05:02PM
Yeah I like the Mercury Playback Engine - I'd love it if it were stable and was implemented in AE!

Any output of mixed media to a uniform CODEC requires transcoding/rendering. In essence you don't NEED to render if you output a mixed media timeline unrendered from FCP it will render/transcode to whatever format you choose on output too (it just takes longer cus its old and 32bit and doesn't utilise the GPU like Prem).

However even Premiere can't export a single file containing the 6 different CODECs on your Prem timeline that will play elsewhere because you can't playback a single file with mixed codecs on most (any?) players - so regardless of not having to render down FX (depending on the number of FX tongue sticking out smiley) et al you still encode/render/transcode to the single output file do you not?

Tell the dev team I said hi and have they increased the toolset to match FCP's and fixed the Prem text to AE yet?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 11, 2011 05:14PM
Bob is wrong here. He isn't often wrong, but in this case, he is way wrong.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 11, 2011 05:57PM
That's hilarious! smiling bouncing smiley

- Justin Barham -
January 11, 2011 06:48PM
Be nice all. Kevin is a good guy even though he's crossed over. winking smiley
And Zelin, who loves a good rumor I guess, is way off the mark here. How do we know? Simple. The guys we know on the FCP team are still working there. When I hear they have all been laid off I'll let you all know.

Michael Horton
-------------------
DM
January 12, 2011 08:34AM
ER....anyone else notice the audio is distorted? Oops, I guess picture editors tend to be "visual"....confused smiley
January 12, 2011 12:26PM
I just watched that clip...oye vey...

Anyway, wrong or not, Crazy Bob made some good points (we had long discussion in the machine room). We'll see when the next iteration comes out how much input the FCP team has implemented from the Pro users.

What do you mean "be nice"? Kevin knows where I am coming from - from the old days. TRAITOR!!!! Just kidding Kev. C'mon man...you HAVE to render out to merge all codecs into one. It's not possible to simply export multiple codecs into a single file as Ben mentions.

January 12, 2011 02:41PM
Hey, I'm the shooter/colorist of the ProRes Maker video, I can definitely get you a ProRes 422 HQ file for the supermeet. Can you get me and ProRes Maker in, perhaps? eh? Glad you enjoyed the video
January 12, 2011 02:44PM
P.S. We are in SF, steps away from the Transamerica building
January 12, 2011 02:49PM
I add all these formats and frame sizes to a HD timeline and do not render. I then Export > Media to Adobe Media Encoder which makes me a H.264 file. I didn't render before exporting, the encode takes care of all the filters, scaling, etc. during the encode.

It's the same in FCP when exporting without rendering via Compressor, isn't it?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 12, 2011 03:46PM
Nice job kjardin

yeah, write me offline and lets see if we can make this happen. A ticket to SuperMeet is not a problem. Agenda is full up but maybe we can squeeze this in somehow. No guarantees but this is just the type of fun stuff for the SuperMeet that we really like. And Kevin will be there too. He's teaching one of our FREE workshops. Think its already filled up though.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 12, 2011 04:03PM
Whoa! My workshop is full already? Dang, I'd better bring the noise! smoking smiley
January 12, 2011 04:51PM
Kevin,

You better bring the noise, AND da funk...

..and make it extra loud so we can here you waaaaay over here....

deb grinning smiley
January 12, 2011 08:31PM
Deb needs it loud to melt all that snow in Minne-SNOW-ta drinking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics