AJA Ki Pro

Posted by Benjamin Meyer 
AJA Ki Pro
January 16, 2011 10:03PM
Hello helpful folk,

I am cutting a show this week from a live event that was recorded last night. The show used these nifty AJA Ki Pro decks, which record to these sort of 80's throwback designed AJA drives. Looks like something you might have plugged into your TRS-80 to save your BASIC programs. But, design aesthetics is not the issue.

My issue relates to upconverting. So, the great thing about this deck is that it saves to hard drive Apple ProRes 422 Quicktimes. You plug the drives into your computer, you copy them over to your RAID, you drag them into your project file, and you are ready to rock.

The issue is that the people running the event's A/V, who had sworn to us that they were going to record in 720p, turned out at the event only to have SD cameras. I managed to get them to record anamorphically (they had trouble understanding this concept), but they still had to record 525i 29.97. I am supposed to deliver the show to network in 720p 59.94. They convinced me that the deck can upconvert the media, if I plug it into my computer. And, since I always think FCP's software-based up-rez leaves a lot to be desired, I would like to try the deck-based up-rez, and see if it looks any better (I understand, logically, it shouldn't make a difference, I'm just duplicating pixels).

I took home one of their decks. It has, on the back, a FW400 jack that says "Ctrl/TC", as well as a FW800 jack that says "Host". I have tried using each and both, and I cannot get FCP to find and control the deck. I can remote control the deck through Safari, using an internet cable. But, that does not help me.

Has anybody used this deck in FCP before? I can't find any reference in the documentation or online to how you might Log and Capture via Firewire on this system.

Does anybody have other suggestions for upconverting for delivery?

Thanks very much!
Re: AJA Ki Pro
January 16, 2011 10:23PM
I have used the deck to record but not with FCP. I do remember reading that certain plugs on the back were reserved for future updates. I think 9 pin control was one of them and the firewire ports did not work with software version including 1.1 and earlier.
I would be inclined to load in at the codec you have then edit the show and just up rez the final. It will save you a lot of time and headache.
BTW does the network know their high def show was shot in SD?
January 16, 2011 10:32PM
No matter what, the upconvert will look like SD upconverted. It will in no way look HD. You and the network need to know this.

Now, the deck can upconvert the incoming signal...but that is too late. It can upconvert the outgoing signal, but you need a capture card to be able to get the image from the KiPro to your computer in that upconverted manner. But then that means capturing ALL that footage again. But then again, if you had a capture card, the card itself, if it is a good one, will upconvert too. But that is capture time that you avoided when you used the deck.

ANYWAY... you need a capture card. It won't look HD. Or you can use Compressor when you are done with your edit...OR...send out the final SD edit to the deck and record it on the deck again, this time as HD.

But it won't look HD. By any stretch of the imagination.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 16, 2011 10:49PM
Yeah, I know, it's going to look like crap. It's a real shame. It was the A/V team that came with the hotel where the event was held. They clearly misrepresented their equipment. I don't think they were being deceptive. I just think they don't do a lot of work intended for broadcast. They principally use their cameras to project closeups of the speaker at the podium onto big screens. I guess that doesn't require HD.

If the production company wants to rent a system with a video card, that would be one thing. But, as you say, if the stuff was shot SD, it's not going to look good in HD regardless. I guess I'll cut the show in SD, and then upconvert the final program in Compressor for delivery. Sucks.

Thanks very much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics